For Sale 1965 FJ45 - Steering wheel doesn't match - 2F Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 45 Series
Looks like steering wheel was changed, 1F replaced with 2F along with brakes.

This is $15k, anyone think it's worth that?

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

2020-11-04_9-45-37.jpg

IMG_3849.JPG

More pics

2020-11-04_9-45-37.jpg

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

Switches don't look like anything I would expect from a '65 either.... not that it matters much but worth pointing out at any rate.

Switches don't look like anything I would expect from a '65 either.... not that it matters much but worth pointing out at any rate.
ah yes looks like it was refreshed with 76 or newer steering and knobs

There is some weirdness going on with this one. The rust looks more like a wet climate, not desert rust, not to mention the diamond plate that is usually a red flag...Wrong windshield frame. Too cheap to buy the right front signals which are still available. It will probably sell though.

It’s at an auto dealership, I’m not the buyer so I’m going to post it as soon as they send me pictures of the tailgate. I thought for the price it was a decent deal though even though it’s been changed with some later model parts like the windshield.
At least the dash is all there and so is the body, it could be a good choice for somebody looking for a 45 to fix up.

More pics

CF4C3D6A-5E36-4A68-838A-F94937A2FED3.jpeg

6AF250F8-8ECE-4AB7-9D5A-B5AC368E5200.jpeg

B58CA170-ABC1-4E87-BEFE-83D2AF9AC654.jpeg

I'd like to own a 45...but that one looks like it's hiding a great amount of things under a semi fresh coat of lipstick. I'd rather get one that's never been touched.

VERY, very tired of undoing bad workmanship, hard to enjoy the journey from my personal perspective

I would pass. Heavily used/abused. It looks like they took a paintbrush and painted over the rust oozing from the seams, and then gave up on the rockers and corners.

1964 ID plate--may not agree with the frame serial number. Certainly a hodge-podge of various years' parts, maybe from Mexico but probably from Central/South America--in any event doesn't look like it spent its life in Nevada. A lot of hidden surprises.

Sure, it could be restored, but at what cost and how much labor? If it was given free to me, I'd take it, but to pay good money to a dealer who makes up the story as he goes, nah.

Sure, it could be restored, but at what cost and how much labor? If it was given free to me, I'd take it, but to pay good money to a dealer who makes up the story as he goes, nah.

I think if someone was local it's worth a look. The wrong parts could be replaced, and maybe rust isn't bad. Haggle to 13k, and it's a pretty original 45 for a resto mod at the very least. Or replace the bed like I did on my 45. There's not that many of these, gotta be flexible if someone is shopping one out.

I don't think I've ever seen one with only 2 hinges on the tailgate?

You guys think the VIN actually matches this truck? Looks like it was altered. I see a later model brake booster....maybe the firewall was hacked up? A hot mess in my opinion.

Late 70s to early 80s heater too... Run

After considering all of the feedback, and since I was local and have the opportunity to crawl under it I decided to dive in and take a chance. Gage 777 suggested that it was worth maybe $13K. Others suggested that running was the best strategy. It is going to need a lot of work, but they are few and far between. I’m willing to get my hands dirty and would love your opinions and advice as I get started.

EB88A361-C683-4B33-A332-926568941116.jpeg

I say great find and congrats. 45s are very hard to find nowdays and you got one with a 2F, what looks like a 4 speed, and disc brakes. If you got this for 13K, I say you got a steal. This business of stressing over knobs, number of hinges, etc of a 56 year old truck seems silly to me. Looks like you got really good upgraded bones and can fill in the gaps over time. In all likelihood, you're not going to end with a truck as it came off the factory floor, but you can end up with a nice 45 that can be enjoyed for years to come. Congrats and keep us updated!

I say great find and congrats. 45s are very hard to find nowdays and you got one with a 2F, what looks like a 4 speed, and disc brakes. If you got this for 13K, I say you got a steal. This business of stressing over knobs, number of hinges, etc of a 56 year old truck seems silly to me. Looks like you got really good upgraded bones and can fill in the gaps over time. In all likelihood, you're not going to end with a truck as it came off the factory floor, but you can end up with a nice 45 that can be enjoyed for years to come. Congrats and keep us updated!
Thanks! $11,250 was the investment. Now where do I find a new floor for the bed...

Gotta agree with Lifelong40Fan on this one cuz 45s are getting so rare ya kinda have to make do with what is available if you want an original 45 (as opposed to stretching a 40).

So what's the plan? If you're not stuck on originality, you could cut a bed (or similarly ribbed roof panel) out of something else and burn it in. Or fab your own if you want something closer to original but not stupid $$$ (aftermarket patch panels). See Fitzee's Fabrications on YT. Whatever you do, please keep us updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom