1965 Electrical issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I am trying to work out all of my electrical gremlins. I have gotten all of the lights to work properly except for two issues.

Issue 1. Blinkers
My blinkers work just fine except for my blinker indicators. Both the front and the rear, passenger and driver blinkers work. I have replaced the bulbs with new bulbs but the dash indicators will not blink. The worked about a month ago but suddenly stopped. Any ideas?

Issue 2. brake light issue.
When I turn my head lights on, the drivers side brake light remains on. The passenger brake light remains off until I press the brake and works normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Krondor

The blinker problem could be a ground issue, reach up behind the dash and try twisting or wiggling the indicator light housing when you have the turn signals on, they ground to the dash. Another thing you can try is cleaning the bullet connector where the indicator lights join the turn signal switch.

Not sure about the brake issue, have you messed with the connections recently, it could be that a wire got crossed or reconnected wrong.

The dash light indicator sockets for the turn signals MUST be well grounded. Since they press fit into holders that then are mounted into the holes in the dash, they don't ground well after 40 years.

Remove the bulb sockets, and the use a wire wheel on a Dremel tool to remove the tarnish from the bulb sockets. Now use a pair of needle nose pliers and CAREFULLY bend the individual "fingers" of each socket out a bit to create a tighter fit in the lense holders. If the lense holders are also corroded, use the Dremel to clean the tarnish from the INSIDE of the holder and the flat surfaces on them that contact the dash.

If you have painted the dash, the socket holders will not contact bare metal. You either have to remove the paint, get a large ring terminal that will fit the lense holder (inner hole at least .825 diameter) and run a ground wire, or get a "star" washer that size to fit between the lense holder and painted dash. The star washer, once you tighten the lense holder nut, will penetrate the paint to bare metal allowing the lense holder to ground itself.

For your brake issue, it sounds like you have the park and brake wires reversed. Green is park and Green/Orange or Green/Yellow is brake/turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom