Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks correct to me Paul.

Paul, here are a few from the 65 and 64 repair and parts books.

Thanks Mark (and John). Here’s the easy part in all this - I’m completely confused!

Looks like I have a mixture of years stuff.

Mark - is this pic from the 64 or 65 book? Is this the “earlier” or “later” shift mechanism? Jim @FJ40Jim what does your mechanism look like on your 45?

This is what I have, except I think I have the connecting rod from the other pic, whatever year that is. They look different in the diagrams to me. In any case it needs to avoid the FD unit.

And John @pardion , I wonder if this has any relation to the other issue I’m having with transmission to bellhousing bolt sizes - 13mm vs 12mm? This motor is not the original, it’s date stamp is 40201, but I don’t know about the bellhousing. Also, the transmission date is later than 63 because it’s top shift not side shift, correct Georg @orangefj45 ?

I apologize to everyone I’m pestering, this is starting to overwhelm me.

Last edited:
Are there any Toyota ignition switch options for this rig, with keys. What I have is an aftermarket USA switch, but no keys. I put one of those in my 40 but never checked to see if anyone still makes/has the Toyota ones. Don’t care about matching keys to door locks. @RAGINGMATT ?

This one should work for your truck. It works for my 67 which I think has the same size dash hole.

84450-60040 - Switch Assembly Ignitio - Toyota (84450-60040) | Fred Anderson Toyota Parts

John do you have anything like this?
Yes I do.
When I dig some snow away from a parts shed I'll check those lower bolt holes size and thread count between a 1962 side shift and a later three speed tranny.
In another shed I have a stock used ignition switch with a key.
Lots of snow to move right now, surprised we have power. John

Last edited:
Paul, sorry for any confusion on my part. The first pic is from this repair manual. It's dated 1964 and covers the FJ40, 45's and 43 series. I did notice that the "lever" ( 36362-60010 from the 65 parts book) for the high and low shifter looked different. from the 64 repair manual.

John would know better than I. I just wanted to send the photos I had to try and help.

Mark

Thanks Mark. No problem, they did help but I’m still confused.

John (and @S4Cruiser) thanks. I actually have Matt @RAGINGMATT sending me a NOS ignition switch with 2 keys so don’t shovel that shed on my behalf! Take the day off and read by the fire!

My concern now is what am I suppose to have - pivot shoulder bolt or triangle-shaped plate with pivot - given that I have a later tranny, a linkage that matches the shoulder bolt, and a bellhousing mount that matches the triangle-shaped plate with pivot. It matters because one setup sits lower than the other wrt the linkage coming from the pivot mount on the firewall. Not sure if there’s enough play in the setup to account for one or the other or if there are two different lengthed linkages, but without spec dimensions I won’t know this until I put the cab back on, at which point I’ve lost a boatload of accessibility.

If I knew what the part numbers for the two parts circled in each pic below are, and if they are the same, then I’d be at ease if I can get a shoulder bolt (33533-60010) from John.

Last edited:
And it looks like the lever on the transfer case is mounted upside down. That makes a bit of difference for clearance of the FD vacuum input lines. @orangefj45

hi Paul,

I have this 1967 USA Spec. Paper Parts Cataloger if it can help out in any way let me know

Matt can you show a pic of the transfer case shift linkage stuff, and maybe their part numbers? Thanks.

1967 FJ40L-A & FJ40LV-A usa-spec
Transfer Shift Lever & Link Nomenclature
Paper Parts Cataloger

JP @ClemsonCruiser do you have a parts book earlier than ‘65? I thought someone had a ‘63 but can’t remember who it was or even if it’s true.

Paul, these part numbers are from the 65 parts book. I have repair manuals earlier but only back to 65 on the parts numbers. You might be right with JP. Maybe he will chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. You’ve been great help as usual.

Well, on to something else I guess. Related even.

Anyone have some specs on the clutch return spring, like length, diameter, anything? I think the OEM number is 90506-18055 and it looks like this. I can get something close at my local (25 miles) hardware store.

Looks like just a little shy of 6” total length unstretched fits. I’ll go with a 3/8” diameter coil, enough tension to keep the clutch arm in contact with the slave cylinder rod. Good enough.

Not only did they win the national championship, but they also have THE super sleuth in their midst! @ClemsonCruiser !

Mark @65swb45 seen anything like the bottom rod in your inventory? I have the bracket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom