16" Vintage Steel Rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was curious on the size too. I thought perhaps they were getting rims built, that's why I raised the question if anyone knew anything about them.

I thought maybe they had found a local shop to put 16 inch barrels on original centers like Stockton was doing. Good old CCOT, I was about to order some.

And yes, they are more expensive than Toyota list, but new rims come black, maybe they are painting them gray for the extra cost.

I dont know if you guys have seen this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/542348-my-1980-fj40-build-ferportu.html

the rims are 16" ....look like oem without the clips

going to see if maybe he can post some pics of the rims and the stampings

Hey Johnny,

Those wheels were a factory item on most basic edition 40 and 70 series Land Cruisers in Venezuela (non-A/C, non-power steering) until 2002. Even when Land Cruisers were sold from factory with those wheels, the wheels are not Toyota and they were manufactured for Toyota of Venezuela by a local company called "Ruedacar".

I am pretty sure those wheels are 16 x 6 and they are fairly easy to source in Venezuela but bringing them here might be difficult.

The wheels on the first photo are a heavy duty (non-split) 16" wheels offered in Venezuela on many Land Cruiser vehicles.

The wheels on the second set of photos are Genuine Toyota Split Wheels.

attachment.php

lower right looks like them dismounted
peters rim.jpg

Last edited:
Those are split rims.
Toyota still offer them, see Toyota Gibralta HZY`s
HomePage
Cheers
Peter

yes silly peter... i got the splits on my rig

the rims in the lower right of the picture with the split rims...he replaced the 16" non split oem look alike rims with 16" oem split rims

Have seen it. ;)

If it`s a political issue
he should ship them to Costa Rica then you US guys can pick them up ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSD

I am pretty sure those wheels are 16 x 6 and they are fairly easy to source in Venezuela but bringing them here might be difficult....[/quote]

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
I seen the same thing and thought maybe the non-split rim was a 15" but I followed the link and read thru it. Seeing the cruiser is in Venezuela the 16" made more sense. Just seems funny Toyota use these non-split 16"s in so many parts of the world that they would be discontinued now. Might think that Toyota would made one size that could fit all applications as far as back spacing. Now non-hub caps clips I could see since those weren't as common in other parts of the world.

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier - but I have 16 inch non split rims on my 40. I gave the numbers of the 40 to Mot for his search in Japan. Without the clips they may still be able to be scounged up here.

Johnny what stamping's are you looking for? - I might be able to get out to the cruiser tomorrow to take a few more snaps.
08.08.13 Cruiser at Lightwood 002.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg

Dobster

I was wondering about his (AlbertoSD in post 182) rims as he said they were made by a local company "Ruedacar". They look very oem to me in the few pictures he posted. I know with the recearch from my bradley trailer that there were several rim manufacturers that produced rims for trailer companies as well as automanufacturers. I wonder if the "Ruedacar" was maybe a supplier of rims to Toyota?

I kinda figure your rims to have the same stampings as peteinjp ...he just picked up a set... interesting to see if you do get a chance.

Did the earlier riveted wheel have any stamping on them? I don't remember seeing any markings until the welded wheels. I wonder if this would be the same on the earlier 16" wheels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom