‘14 GX460 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it's just four bolts but I could be wrong. I'd take this opportunity to go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket skid plate lol.

I think it's just four bolts but I could be wrong. I'd take this opportunity to go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket skid plate lol.
Yeah I really should, and sliders, and and and

lol

skid plate bolts are M8-1.25x20mm. Do your future self a favor and buy some stainless bolts, the oem ones suck
Good advice. My new to me GX only had 2 of the 4 screws. And the oil change history was all oil changes prior to my first as it's new owner were at Lexus... I bought replacement bolts online, but stainless would be better.

skid plate bolts are M8-1.25x20mm. Do your future self a favor and buy some stainless bolts, the oem ones suck

Good advice. My new to me GX only had 2 of the 4 screws. And the oil change history was all oil changes prior to my first as it's new owner were at Lexus... I bought replacement bolts online, but stainless would be better.
Thanks gents, I’ll grab a box...need to have some spares laying around for putting my 55 back together anyways.

349FB4F3-BC52-4FAF-9958-C6DF42619E81.jpeg

The short answer will be metric bolts.
The long answer is that you could use either hex head or socket head (allen head) bolts with washers. Go to your local hardware store a purchase a few cheap metric bolts of various sizes (thread diameter) that you think may fit the threaded holes, then crawl under and see which size thread work with just your hand. you don't need any wrenches for this. When you think you have the correct bolt thread size, then purchase a long bolt and then hand thread it into each of the holes to get an idea of how deep the holes are so when you go back to the hardware store, you get the correct length bolts. This should cost you all about $3-8 dollars. Be sure to use stainless steel bolts and washers. Also don't over tighten them. Those shields do not need to be gorilla tight, just firm.
Using stainless steel bolts will make life much easier years down the line if you should ever have to remove that shield.

Update, went to the nearest dealer for airbag recall, turns out they did a fuel pump too...I paid for a fresh sock on the new pump as it wasn’t covered on recall. All good.

But then the GX left on a tow truck last week.
Wife heard something clunk, then it got worse. She drove straight home & parked it for me to look at...ugh.

21F7E426-BF48-4F0A-B7EF-FA2019E43AA4.jpeg

E2F22838-407D-48EE-BC4D-3B81802D7FC7.jpeg

Near as I could see there were no threads left in that hole, same shop did brakes as when I had the splash pan fall off after oil change, not happy.

They are making it right, sent the wheel for repair too I’m told, will update when I get it back.

Update, went to the nearest dealer for airbag recall, turns out they did a fuel pump too...I paid for a fresh sock on the new pump as it wasn’t covered on recall. All good.

But then the GX left on a tow truck last week.
Wife heard something clunk, then it got worse. She drove straight home & parked it for me to look at...ugh.

View attachment 2699675

View attachment 2699676

Near as I could see there were no threads left in that hole, same shop did brakes as when I had the splash pan fall off after oil change, not happy.

They are making it right, sent the wheel for repair too I’m told, will update when I get it back.
:eek: How TF do you "repair" an aluminum wheel like that??

Shop got the GX back to us today, drove it to our home even, can’t complain about that level of service.

They either refinished or replaced the rim, new caliper, and said they corrected the splash pan bolts too...not sure what they did on the front so will probably pull one out too see.

D54E2852-8D66-457D-9D6B-3EF3A2C00FC5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom