100 VS V8 4Runner Drive Train (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not worried about my transmission, now the exhuast manifolds and starter are another story :)

Yeah the tranny seems to be a good egg. Teh Tundra and Sequoia also started usign them in 05 or so, and very few probs have been reported.

I thoguht the manifol issue on the LC 100 was solved in later years, as well as the starters. I don't recall hearing of issues on either the 4Runner or LC100 in 03+ in regards to manifolds or starters. I think there was a few LCs in the later years with manifold issues, but it seems the starters have been very solid (better be with the poor location :D

I think based on another thread that some of the posters wanted more information so they could prove that their 4runner was superior to the LC/LX
That always proves to be waste of time. Have been involved in a few and try to avoid this time waste these days. Each have their place and fill a different market need. Although the 80 has been my personal favorite LC produced till date.

Much better to dig up the actual info than speculate about this or that.

bulldog-yota;3553014. Although the 80 has been my personal favorite LC produced till date. .[/QUOTE said:
I had a 95 FZJ80, best lookin one of the litter. Rode like a lumber truck but I loved the rock solid mechanical feel of the beast. I also really like my 2004 LX470, it is such a plush ride, and gives that reliable feel that only Toyota/Lexus provides. I always want a LC/LX in my garage. screw the gas :)

Gee, I don't think any 4th gen 4Runner owner in their right mind is going to suggest that his truck is superior or even equal to one that costs nearly twice as much (100LC/LX). However, I would suggest that for the comparatively cheap cost of the 4Runner, there are enough similarities, (i.e. 4.7 V8, 5-speed, size, 100% Made In Japan) and decent-enough wheeling capabilities, that make it a nice truck for some of us here in the US who don't need to evade terrorist ambushes and 300,000-mile duty cycles. However, I am buying my wife one (an '06 LC/LX). She'll be using it for going to the mall. And taking the kids to soccer. But in a few yrs. it'll be mine, in good cond., and with low miles :). :beer:

I'm not worried about my transmission, now the exhuast manifolds and starter are another story :) I think based on another thread that some of the posters wanted more information so they could prove that their 4runner was superior to the LC/LX

Plus..Truck Trend did a comparo of large full size SUVs in 2005 and the Land Cruiser came dead last...they even mentioned that yes the 4wd system in the 100 series is classic but it is way out of date.

Dumb! Quoting a magazine that said a IFS/IRS Lincoln Navigator was as good as the 100 off road. Dumb!

What is out of date? Nothing.

Torsen vs non-Torsen? That's debatable. So, do Wranger JK Unlimited's have a Torsen center diff? The JK Rubi is the off-road King. Exactly!

What on the 100's drivetrain is WAY OUT OF DATE? What am I missing?

Gee, I don't think any 4th gen 4Runner owner in their right mind is going to suggest that his truck is superior or even equal to one that costs nearly twice as much (100LC/LX). However, I would suggest that for the comparatively cheap cost of the 4Runner, there are enough similarities, (i.e. 4.7 V8, 5-speed, size, 100% Made In Japan) and decent-enough wheeling capabilities, that make it a nice truck for some of us here in the US who don't need to evade terrorist ambushes and 300,000-mile duty cycles. However, I am buying my wife one (an '06 LC/LX). She'll be using it for going to the mall. And taking the kids to soccer. But in a few yrs. it'll be mine, in good cond., and with low miles :). :beer:

Exactly...value-wise for most Americans the 4Runner and Sequoia are much better choices compared to a LC.

crappy thread revival
0111.jpg

Dumb! Quoting a magazine that said a IFS/IRS Lincoln Navigator was as good as the 100 off road. Dumb!

What is out of date? Nothing.

Torsen vs non-Torsen? That's debatable. So, do Wranger JK Unlimited's have a Torsen center diff? The JK Rubi is the off-road King. Exactly!

What on the 100's drivetrain is WAY OUT OF DATE? What am I missing?

What's dumb is you dredging up a 6 month old post to start arguing again. You need to look before you post. Can't find arguments in the 100 or 200 section so you're trolling in the Prado section? That's a new level of lame for you.

Plus..Truck Trend did a comparo of large full size SUVs in 2005 and the Land Cruiser came dead last...they even mentioned that yes the 4wd system in the 100 series is classic but it is way out of date.

I'm rephrasing due to some oversensitive members.......

Question: Could you please share with me/us what is so out of date on the 100's 4WD system? Thanks!

You guys seriously need to get over the fact that you drive 100s. Hell 95% of you have gotten them used.

If the torsen wasnt better than what the 100 has - why would they put it in the 200 - which IS better off road than the 100!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell 95% of you have gotten them used.

Not me, though your logic is flawed. 95% of the guys wheeling 80's bought them used. Does this make the 80 less of a vehicle?

If the torsen wasnt better than what the 100 has - why would they put it in the 200 - which IS better off road than the 100!?

I agree the Torsen offers a SMALL improvement in CERTAIN situations. SMALL because in the rough stuff you'll lock the CDL and the Torsen perk goes out the window.

And a CDL itself does not "outdate a 4WD system". It's one small piece of the puzzle. The 80-series didn't have a Torsen either. I guess it's 4WD system was flawed as well. :D

Last edited:
That's the best answer ya got, huh? :D
I believe the original posters questions have been answered in detail with proper references to the correct data. Thus the topic of what is similar/different between the 100 and 4R/GX has been covered.

Not sure why you are trying to stir up something, maybe if you actually read the thread and data provided you would realize your input has been completely redundant with no information, just drama. Thus the response for you has been completely justfified.

I believe the original posters questions have been answered in detail with proper references to the correct data. Thus the topic of what is similar/different between the 100 and 4R/GX has been covered.

Not sure why you are trying to stir up something, maybe if you actually read the thread and data provided you would realize your input has been completely redundant with no information, just drama. Thus the response for you has been completely justfified.

Uhhhhh...when some postee misleads the readers by stating that the 100 (one of the vehicles bieng asked about) has an "outdated 4WD system", it has to be challenged because they and the magazine they state are full of crap. My "stirring" further proves it as nobody could point out was is outdated with the 100's 4WD system. Thanks for your opinion on the posts and threads.

Hello
Bringing back the thread. Can somebody point me out to info on the transfer case in GX470 (Torsen one)
Thank you
I look through thread but I could not see what is the model on that case... :)

Uhhhhh...when some postee misleads the readers by stating that the 100 (one of the vehicles bieng asked about) has an "outdated 4WD system", it has to be challenged because they and the magazine they state are full of ****. My "stirring" further proves it as nobody could point out was is outdated with the 100's 4WD system. Thanks for your opinion on the posts and threads.

The 4runner's four whee drive system is superior to the 100 series. The 4runners Torsen, A-trac, HAC, DAC, locking rear on some is a better system. The current 200 series recieved all the these upgrades except the locking rear diff.

The 100 series is good. However it is out of date. There were some early 100 LC with locking rears. Not sure if the 100 came with A-trac

The 4runner's four whee drive system is superior to the 100 series. The 4runners Torsen, A-trac, HAC, DAC, locking rear on some is a better system. The current 200 series recieved all the these upgrades except the locking rear diff.

The 100 series is good. However it is out of date. There were some early 100 LC with locking rears. Not sure if the 100 came with A-trac

I don't think aluminum parts are superior to steel in these applications. We've been through this before look it up.

I don't think aluminum parts are superior to steel in these applications. .

I wish the steel parts were good when my 98 100 series Land Cruiser left me stranded. Come to think of it...the 100 series was the only Toyota EVER that I had that ever left me stranded. And it left me stranded three times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom