100 Series Blinker Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread here, and I am absolutely loving my 1999 Cruiser with 145,000 miles. I do have one issue, my blinkers work fine except when going over 35-40 mph. Anything over that my car chugs ( maybe loses power? ) at the same speed as the blinker flashes. This happens regardless if there are halogen or led bulbs in there.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm realling hoping its a bad fuse or somethign that I am missing but when I check everything seems fine. I would love any of your opinions, and things to double check. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread here, and I am absolutely loving my 1999 Cruiser with 145,000 miles. I do have one issue, my blinkers work fine except when going over 35-40 mph. Anything over that my car chugs ( maybe loses power? ) at the same speed as the blinker flashes. This happens regardless if there are halogen or led bulbs in there.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm realling hoping its a bad fuse or something that I am missing but when I check everything seems fine. I would love any of your opinions, and things to double check. Thank you!

Huh? You sure there’s not a bad coil pack and the blinker is just a coincidence?

Huh? You sure there’s not a bad coil pack and the blinker is just a coincidence?
Yeah im pretty sure. I am not having any misfires, and I replaced all the coil packs with new ones about 2 months ago.

This problem has been occuring ever since I aquired the vehicle.

Good one!

Last edited:
This is definitely a new one… Any suspicious-looking trailer wiring that you can see? If not, then time to start debugging:

1. Remove the HAZ-TRN fuse and go for a test ride (while staying in the same lane, of course).

2. If the issue goes away, replace the fuse, remove the blinker relay, and re-test.

3. If the issue goes away, replace the relay and remove the blinker bulbs one by one and re-test for each one, making sure to replace the previous bulb. I.e. only have one bulb removed for each test.

If the problem remains after any of the above you got an issue other than the blinkers.

Report back.
52AD4F12-45F7-4581-975C-9746C97FCBDF.jpeg

Last edited:
This is definitely a new one… Any suspicious-looking trailer wiring that you can see? If not, then time to start debugging:

1. Remove the HAZ-TRN fuse and go for a test ride (while staying in the same lane, of course).

2. If the issue goes away, replace the fuse, remove the blinker relay, and re-test.

3. If the issue goes away, replace the relay and remove the blinker bulbs one by one and re-test for each one, making sure to replace the previous bulb. I.e. only have one bulb removed for each test.

If the problem remains after any of the above you got an issue other than the blinkers.

Report back.
View attachment 3241619
After performing each test, these were my results.

With HZD-TRN fuse out, no chugging or rpm bouncing above 50. (But then again the blinkers dont go at all). Replaced that fuse and still has the RPM bounce.

With HZD-TRN fuse in but relay out, no chugging or rpm bouncing above 50. (But then again the blinkers dont go at all). Replaced relay, and tested with new blinker bulbs having one out at a time. RPMs bounce above 50 only on the side with the bulb.

Seems to be electrical? What would cause this? Bad wire somewhere?

Moisture in the wrong places?Body control module maybe? I had a similar problem causing several strange phenomenons after a monsoon.After everything dried out it was fine…

Moisture in the wrong places?Body control module maybe? I had a similar problem causing several strange phenomenons after a monsoon.After everything dried out it was fine…
I don't think its moisture, I have had the car for about 8 months inluding a hot dry summer in Utah.

I would be happy to check the body control module though, where can I find it?

Good job! Next question:

….Replaced relay, and tested with new blinker bulbs having one out at a time. RPMs bounce above 50 only on the side with the bulb.

Do you mean the issue still occurs when you have a left side bulb removed and you signal left? But not when you signal right with both right bulbs in?

We’re trying to narrow down which section of the wiring harness, or bulb socket is causing the problem.

If you could manage, it would also be helpful to test:

1. With all the bulbs out (and the relay still in). This will tell us if a wire is damaged and has nothing to do with the bulbs or sockets.

2. With only one bulb installed each time (four tests). This may identify a particular socket.

Sorry to have you do so many 50mph test drives…

After carefully looking over each individual wire, I came to what is definitly the problem.

First pic is on the passenger side blinker, and it looks like the socket (not sure what it is for) has a gaurd on it to prevent it from getting water in it.

Second and Third pic are on the driver side. What is this socket for? Is it supposed to have a cover over it? What are my options?

Thanks!

IMG_0072.jpeg
IMG_0073.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg

Hate to say, but I doubt that's your culprit, it looks like it's been that way a long time. I think that's a connector for the headlight washers on the LX. I notice you have aftermarket LED fog lights, I'd maybe look at those. Some of them don't have relays or need relays or the ones they come with are crap. Several reports of wonky electrical issues caused by LED bulb setups.

Hate to say, but I doubt that's your culprit, it looks like it's been that way a long time. I think that's a connector for the headlight washers on the LX. I notice you have aftermarket LED fog lights, I'd maybe look at those. Some of them don't have relays or need relays or the ones they come with are crap. Several reports of wonky electrical issues caused by LED bulb setups.
It's not the led lights, because I have the stock halogean bulbs, and it still happens with those in.

To answer the question above, it only chugs on the side with the bulbs in. So if I have bulbs in on the right side but not the left, it only chugs when signally right, but doesn't when signally left. Or vise versa. Any thoughts?

If you'd like you can cut off that corroded connector and tape the wire ends individually, then as a group, with electrical tape to protect them.

So no aftermarket trailer wiring lurking in the back?
Sounds good. There is some trailor wiring in the back, is that not stock? I do not know if it is aftermarket or not.

Last edited:
It sounds like the problem is likely just after the HAZ-TRN fuse: Since there’s not one bulb that causes the issue (the problem occurs with either left or right, front or back power branch), and it goes away when the fuse is removed, the whole HAZ-TRN power branch is suspect. Unfortunately that means inspecting 1) inside the engine compartment junction box where the fuse lives…. Not an easy task, 2) under the dash around the connector where the flasher relay plugs in, 3) the trailer wiring loom in the rear. You’re looking for a worn wire or any sign of corrosion or crushing.

It sounds like the problem is likely just after the HAZ-TRN fuse: Since there’s not one bulb that causes the issue (the problem occurs with either left or right, front or back power branch), and it goes away when the fuse is removed, the whole HAZ-TRN power branch is suspect. Unfortunately that means inspecting 1) inside the engine compartment junction box where the fuse lives…. Not an easy task, 2) under the dash around the connector where the flasher relay plugs in, 3) the trailer wiring loom in the rear. You’re looking for a worn wire or any sign of corrosion or crushing.
I tried a couple other things that my friend suggested me. I ended up taking out all of the bulbs and slowly put them back in one by one to see if any of them were the culpret. Sure enough it was the brake lights in the back, I had LED bulbs in it before and for some reason it was causing a short in my blinker (not sure why). Any way problem fixed. Thanks for all of your help!! Looks like ill be rocking halogean brake lights now.

I tried a couple other things that my friend suggested me. I ended up taking out all of the bulbs and slowly put them back in one by one to see if any of them were the culpret. Sure enough it was the brake lights in the back, I had LED bulbs in it before and for some reason it was causing a short in my blinker (not sure why). Any way problem fixed. Thanks for all of your help!! Looks like ill be rocking halogean brake lights now.
Wow, much better than dissecting the fuse box! Happy it worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom