10% underdrive High range installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I am getting ready to order a set of high reduction gears but am curious from those that have them about gear whine noise. Anyone experience excessive gear whine from doing these? I can handle some noise but dont really want to hear them singing loud on the highway.

On mine it's very minor hum from the mt's is still louder.

I only know of the whine because I specifically tried to hear it after installation. Wife and kids have never noticed a difference. I would say the gear whine is only noticeable if you know what to listen for, and even then, in my truck its very, very minor.

FWIW - your going to have it opened up anyhow so you might as well do the low range gears too. Those gears really put a smile on my face.

Last edited:
I only know of the whine because I specifically tried to hear is after installation. Wife and kids have never noticed a difference. I would say the gear whine is only noticeable if you know what to listen for, and even then, in my truck its very, very minor.

FWIW - your going to have it opened up anyhow so you might as well do the low range gears too. Those gears really put a smile on my face.
This. You will notice it if you listen for it. My MTs are louder, the wind from the snorkle at speed is louder, when I cut off my resonator for by labs bumper, it was much louder. Absolutely no regrets.

As stated by LCFLIFE, do the low range gears, you will absolutely not regret it. In fact, I got the the 10% only because I was installing the low range anyway.

This. You will notice it if you listen for it. My MTs are louder, the wind from the snorkle at speed is louder, when I cut off my resonator for by labs bumper, it was much louder. Absolutely no regrets.

As stated by LCFLIFE, do the low range gears, you will absolutely not regret it. In fact, I got the the 10% only because I was installing the low range anyway.
My main reason for doing this is to get some gearing back after switching to 285s. I dont do any type of rock crawling. As I understand doing just the high gear will also give me a little better low as well. I was actually planning on doing 4.56 gears as I wont ever go any larger on tire size but was informed about the Tcase gear change doing the same thing. Maybe I'll do the low too. Dont like the idea of grinding anything on the case for fitment.

Sweet, we would love to help!

Interesting thread, I have a 91 3FE. All stock gearing with 35's but I am a little lost...haha. I do not understand this gearing one bit sorry!

Could it be explained like I am a 4 year old??

Interesting thread, I have a 91 3FE. All stock gearing with 35's but I am a little lost...haha. I do not understand this gearing one bit sorry!

Could it be explained like I am a 4 year old??
Imagine a rod with a tire on the end and try to spin it, and if you make the tire bigger it gets harder to spin; it requires more torque. To reduce the strength or torque needed after putting on bigger tires you can change gears in the transfer case and or in the front and rear diff, the bigger the number/ratio on each means the required torque is reduced. To choose the right gears you would want to match the engine, tire size, F&R diff with the center for your type of driving and terrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom