1-HDT extra “cackling” noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I have noticed a “clacking” noise during engine operation. I am trying to find out what it might be and if it needs attention to get the noise fixed.

The above video is from a cold start.

The second video is the cold start just from a different angle for sound.
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/aT4AY6kmRpo
The third video is after a highway run for 10-15 minutes and the engine is hot (obviously)
Again, the wheel well was for sound.
There seems to be a definite clacking noise.
No issues with acceleration, no hesitation, no lagging even when the gas pedal is put to the floor. All temperatures and pressures are normal, Oil level is normal.
Any ideas for identification would be very helpful.
Thank you.

your video says 'private'

Video still says private.

Dang! That thing is CLEAN!

Sounds normal as far as I can tell from video.

Has the injection timing being checked?
I replaced the TB and WP in early April. I have been reading up on valve checking and using the “shims”. The intake crossover pipe is not hot to the touch after start up. So, no, I haven’t checked the valve timing since I replaced the TB.

I am curious as to what that rattling or clacking sound might be. Not sure if it’s normal or not.

I replaced the TB and WP in early April. I have been reading up on valve checking and using the “shims”. The intake crossover pipe is not hot to the touch after start up. So, no, I haven’t checked the valve timing since I replaced the TB.

I was referring to checking the injection timing. Timing of the injection pump.

There will always be a certain amount of injection pump clatter. Injection timing can change how sharp the combustion noise is.

I was referring to checking the injection timing. Timing of the injection pump.

There will always be a certain amount of injection pump clatter. Injection timing can change how sharp the combustion noise is.
Ah ok. I will have to research on how to check the IP timing.

Are you talking about the main loud WRRRrrRRrrRRrrRRrrRRrr noise or the metallic rattling noise thats kinda quieter?

If the ladder, sounds like maybe your injector spray pattern might be wonky. Wouldn't hurt to pull them and get them tested, especially if they're old and due for servicing.

Ah ok. I will have to research on how to check the IP timing.
The pump is times via a timing tool that threads into the back of the pump. You first set it to TDC, then rotate the engine backwards until the needle stops moving, then you zero the gauge and bring it back to TDC. You have to be DIRECTLY on TDC it's very sensitive. Then you just rotate the pump until the plunger depth is in spec. My 2L is 0.84mm-0.96mm but I'm sure someone will chime in with your engine's spec.

I find you'll have to set it, then take it for a drive and see how it is, then adjust some more. You could order one and do it on an afternoon. Just remember to crack your injectors and bleed the system when you are done.

The pump is times via a timing tool that threads into the back of the pump. You first set it to TDC, then rotate the engine backwards until the needle stops moving, then you zero the gauge and bring it back to TDC. You have to be DIRECTLY on TDC it's very sensitive. Then you just rotate the pump until the plunger depth is in spec. My 2L is 0.84mm-0.96mm but I'm sure someone will chime in with your engine's spec.

I find you'll have to set it, then take it for a drive and see how it is, then adjust some more. You could order one and do it on an afternoon. Just remember to crack your injectors and bleed the system when you are done.
Sounds exactly what I was reading about last night in the Haynes manual. Didn’t mention anything about cracking the injectors and bleeding the system.
Yes, it’s the not as apparent “rattling” or “clacking” sound in the background.

old school way is to advance the pump by ear and once hear clacking dial it back a touch.
but more accurate if you got the tool!!!

SST has been ordered. Doing research now and the IP timing seems somewhat easy. I will go slow and report back any findings.

The dual stage mechanical injectors in these engines make a lot of racket, there was nothing unusual sound-wise in either video that I could pick up on.

The dual stage mechanical injectors in these engines make a lot of racket, there was nothing unusual sound-wise in either video that I could pick up on.
Okay, thank you. I have only been an owner since January so the learning process is continuous. Especially for the 1 HD-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom