04 trans clunk shifting into 3rd at 30mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
04 Lx470. Drives flawless, serviced exclusively by one Lexus dealer since new, until I Purchased with 168k, has 176k now. Shifts like butter under all conditions until yesterday.

Has developed intermittent Slight THUNK on the 2-3 shift, approx 30mph, light to moderate throttle. Mostly exiting turns, but happened once on a straight stretch of road when I slowed down for construction. (Not the common thunk when starting from a dead stop, but it feels identical, just at-speed instead ) Only intermittent, and only if you've decelerated from speed and then reapplied the throttle. It shifts into 3rd and then a second later I feel a thunk.

If you start from a start it shifts smooth through all gears.

It feels like it's from the rear of the truck but I'm in no way certain of this. I am watching the tach now to see if it jumps when this happens (I'll update). I do NOT think the tach moves when it happens.

Vehicle does have very minor driveline lash, i.e. If you get on or off the throttle rough, the rear end will clunk very slightly.

Trans was replaced by PO at Lexus dealer at 135k because it had harsh engagement of Reverse. Thus, trans and fluid are ~~40k old. <-----highly unusual to see one of these 5speeds replaced in the first place...

Vehicle does fall within the VIN range for the rare shudder issue due to breather tubes that allow water to enter trans. Vehicle does NOT shudder at any speed. I assume that the breathers were changed when they replaced trans but am not sure.

My Indy lubed the slip yoke which was bone dry and the thunk has reoccurred 2x over 500 miles since.

Trans is not in ECT power mode, which I haven't tried yet.

Vehicle thunks maybe once every 100-200 miles. No loose spare tire or hitch.

1) trans mounts?
2) slip yoke still?
3) bad trans or torque converter (please no!)
4) seized U joint?

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: 3,500 miles later, running premium fuel since the original post, and it hasn't clunked a single time......ECU must have adapted to the premium fuel and is shifting perfectly.

Last edited:
Ps I just started running premium fuel in it last week. I can feel a definite performance improvement and mpg seems to be up.

Could this be partially related to the ECU relearning and the trans adapting due to the higher octane fuel?

I not worry about it, as some minor clunk in drive train is to be expected with high mileage. Just make sure you keeping fluid fresh, and all 6 lube points of propeller shafts lubed ever 5K miles. If clunk worsen over time, then you'll need to explore further.

You could try some #1 grease with moly in slip yokes if it's concerning to you now. If that improves it you'll know it is the rear slip yokes that is the culprit.

Thanks guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom