03' Land Cruiser Navigation Control Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen similar issues but nothing quite exactly like mine. My 03' Land Cruiser which was my late fathers has had a bad Nav unit since I got it. The screen LCD is still functioning as I can see the "AUDIO OFF" message when the volume knob is pressed. The buttons controlling the navigation and AC however, do not work. I am not even sure that they are getting power as no green light comes on when those applicable are pressed. I have checked all the fuses, new battery and alternator within the past month. I know my father had mentioned this issue started after a jump start, or whenever he put a new battery in (I can't remember which exactly).

I've tried everything and spent forever looking for solutions online, and this is the only link I found describing my problem (which didn't have much as far as solutions go)

(Note: Radio is functioning perfectly)

just had a screen issue myself (though much different from yours), I seem to have found success by disconnecting the batter for 15 minutes, then reconnect and turn the key over one notch and wait for the screen to do a hard restart. If that doesnt work, it suggests it may not be a software problem.

just had a screen issue myself (though much different from yours), I seem to have found success by disconnecting the batter for 15 minutes, then reconnect and turn the key over one notch and wait for the screen to do a hard restart. If that doesnt work, it suggests it may not be a software problem.
I have tried the battery disconnect once before, I am convinced it's electrical. The screen display itself is not faulty, rather just the surrounding NAV & AC controls

I don’t have a solution but I do remember there being some old discussions on this forum about nav systems going wonky after battery replacement.

There’s a pretty lengthy thread on mud that discusses possible fixes for this. I have 2004 LC and had all physical buttons stop working but radio still functioned. After swapping head unit (didn’t fix) and an AC amplifier, it ended up being a faulty Gateway ECU.

Sorry for the resurrection / late reply! But I noticed that this exact behavior ("AUDIO OFF") happens when you pull out the radio from the nav cluster in a 2002 (a nav generation earlier). The way to fix it is to solder/connect a 68 ohm resistor between two wires (documented in forums somewhere). However, of course, this solution is if you want to use the nav without the radio, and it's for Pre'03.

Might not be similar in 2003, but also I'm just saying that the solution/resistor helps supply voltage to the nav to detect that it has a working radio. Maybe your unit has (had) a problem with an open loop with the way the 2003 nav checks for the radio assuming it does it like the 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom