Builds ROTW - Blupaddler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1994 FZJ80 and me

First off I want to thank Woody for putting this board together. CDAN for all his help with the super deals on parts and most of all the advice regarding the parts, most recently saving me $300! Finally, Slee Off Road, whose customer service and technological assistance is top notch, and to whom I will remain a dedicated customer. Specifically Ben, whom I have called again, and again, and always, had the time to answer my stupid questions.

I have owned primarily Toyotas and VWs. The decision to go with an 80 is very similar to many of the reasons that have been expressed here time and time again. Most of our trips are solo, and I wanted something reliable, comfortable, and capable to get us there and back. My research led me to Landcruisers and Land Rovers. I liked the design of Land Rovers, but their apparent lack of reliability drew me away. I knew of the aftermarket support for the 80s from looking at the Aussie 4WD magazines. One day I stumbled upon this forum, and as they say the rest is history. I found an 80 here in San Diego with lockers. It was clean, paint wasn’t the best, but I was going to scratch it, so who cared. A deal was struck and in March 2004 I had my very own 80!

The 80 had 126k miles on it when purchased, now has 156k miles.

My mods are done primarily for vehicle dependent expedition type travel. I want to be self-sufficient, and be able travel for long distances. I travel a lot with friends on these forums:
www.4wdtrips.net
www.expeditionportal.com
The most recent trip was a 16-day trip to Cabo and back.

Anyway, here is what I have done thus far:

MECHANICAL:
Tune-up
Front axle service
Rear axle service
Replaced rotors with DBA Slotted/Drilled
Extended Diff Breathers
Slee S/S extended brake lines
CDL switch

MODS:
OME 850/864 with Mr. Gasket up front
BFG a/t's with about 20k on them
ARB with Warn 8000i, Blue Amsteel Synth Line
Kaymar Bumper with tire carrier
IPF fog lights-OEM switch (courtesy Slee)
Lightforce 240’s-OEM switch (courtesy Slee)
Slee step sliders (first version) currently without extra step-Thanks Navid!!!
Slee T-Case skid
Slee A/C dryer skid-still awaiting install
Slee Wiring Harness upgrade
Slee Auxiliary light harness x2
Stern lighting upgrade (low/high, rears)
Long Ranger 170L auxiliary tank (44 gallons)
George S. control box
OEM Switch (courtesy Slee)
Windows double tinted, for sleeping in the back
Husky liners front only
Second & Third row seats removed for camping/dog
XM radio

FUTURE:
PHH (very soon)
Currently researching dual battery set-up
Slee 4” lift???
Drawer system
Helton Hot Water System
2M Radio
More Slee Stuff

Last edited:
Early pic of the 80 and some complementary poooser shots...

;)
DSC02153.jpeg

Last edited:
another pic...
DSC01816.jpeg

Last edited:
more..
PB210068.jpeg

And...Pics of the Auxilary tank
DSC01879.jpeg
DSC01880.jpeg
DSC01883.jpeg

Nice rig.

I don't recall what the George S. control box is.

Thanks.

The George S. control box is for the Aux. Tank. I am not too sure exactly how it works, but I know it helps control the transfer of gas, and the pump being on or off.

Nice!

Great rig and write up.:cheers:

Thanks for contributing.:cool:

Can you give more details on the Aux. fuel tank. Do you have a write-up for it or was it installed? It would be nice to know if it's a complete kit with 2nd fuel pump, dual neck filler, gauges, switching between, etc.

Very Nice.

Please comment on aamiggia's question.
Specifically are you able to use the stock gauge?

Also, what did you do w/ your old front bumper?
I don't particularily care for that thing, but I know they don't give them away.

Thanks

Lookin Good Blupaddler!

Can I request a bit more info on your front bumper light setup? Looks good, and might work well for fogs until I get an aftermarket bumper .. keeping them low, but protected somewhat. Any install pics?

attachment.php

:cheers:

TY

The front bumper, both of them are gone. Some where in scrap metal heaven. I bought the 80 with the holes cut in the bumper for the lights. The PO had it done, and was done fairly well too. Just regular holes, there was a bead or some sort of reinforcement on the outer edge. I forget how the lights were mounted.

Regarding the aux. tank. My plan is to do a write up. I am still trying to get caught up with my life after our recent Baja trip. And I need to finish wiring the guage aspect.

Looks good man.

AUXILARY TANK

I bought the tank in March of 2005. I got it from Beast II. (thanks again!!!)

Beast II got the tank as a kit from Slee, just never installed it. So, I was very fortunate to have EVERYTHING except for a fuel transfer pump, fuel filter, and fuel supply hoses (filler to tank). So, I had the tank, dual filler neck, OEM switch, George S. control box, and misc. mounting hardware. From what I understand, they have gotten REALLY difficult to source. The tanks come from Oz. So getting them here is challenging. And when distributors get them, they are usually spoken for before arrival.

The tank sat in my garage until October, when I started reading the directions, and researching online for install tips. I finally got around to installing the tank in November. I had planned about 3 full days, and it took me probably closer to 5 or 6. Mainly because I kept reading and re-reading directions, and making sure everything was correct.

The tank essentially just pumps fuel into the main tank whenever you desire, by engaging the OEM sub-tank switch. I currently cannot monitor fuel in my aux. tank. However, that is only b/c I haven’t wired it up. There are write ups floating around here on how to do it, but basically you have a toggle switch, and by toggling in either direction, you can see how much gas in each tank.

Currently my tank doesn’t work b/c I didn’t mount the transfer pump up high enough. I had it on the cross member above the rear control arm. However, I had a Carter pump, and the instructions stated it needed to be mounted straight up and down. So…while flying down some dirt road in Baja, my rear end bottomed out, and the control arm came up and hit the transfer pump. :doh: I have another pump, generic, I am just working on mounting location.

Hope that helps for now. I plan to do a write in the next couple weeks.

BTW…Kevin, Boston Mangler, is looking to get a group of people together and buy some tanks from Austrailia. This way saving on shipping.

Bigshone, sorry, my roof rack is a Tradesman full-length rack with the mesh floor. The tubing is rectangular, not the oval kind. It is a really strong rack, and very well built. I have yet to use it to it's full potential, which could be scary if I did.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom