HDJ81 fuel consumption test run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
the truck:
1990 HDJ81, stock except SS 3" exhaust. 31" Revo AS tires automatic.
130,000 km

the test was from Calgary to "road to the sun" Montana and back through Ferni BC.

the first leg was from Calgary to Pincher Creek 236 km using 25.1 L of fuel for a total of 26.56 imp mpg or 10.64l/100. this was fairly flat at 110 km/hr steady no head wind.

the second leg of the trip was Pncher Creek to Glacier Montana. 241 km using 7 US gallons (24.5 l) for a total 27.79 imp mpg or 10.17L/100. this was steep hills 90% at 60 km/hr trough the park. (it is a beautiful drive and well worth the trip down. plan on 2 days in the park.)

the third leg of the test was from Glacier to Ferni B.C. 232 KM using 25.6 L for a total of 25.6 imp mpg or 11L/100. this was a couple steep hills but steady at 110 km/hr

the final leg was from Ferni back to Calgary. 296 km using 33 l of fuel for a total of 25.3 imp mpg or 11.15L/100. this was a couple steep hills at 120 km/hr with bursts up to 130-150 km/hr.

all in all i was very surprised at the fuel milage. i was guesstimating at about 25 with the last ank at 18. almost 28 mpg is phenomenal in such a heavy truck.

cheers

oh, as a side point, i asked Berni how she liked the 81 and she likes it but she liked her 61 better so i guess we won't be keeping this one...
8^(
cheers

Great info, thanks! I wonder if you would see any gains from a 5-Spd?

i won't know that first hand till sept when the super clean 5 spd shows up...
but you can almost be guarenteed i will post a test...
cheers

i thought a couple pics would be nice...
81 at the beginning of day.jpg
81 in front of falls.jpg
81 in front of valley top.jpg

Wayne...awesome pics...

We really are blessed with some incredible country in the western States and western Canada...

Better fuel mileage then I expected too!

gb

crushers said:
oh, as a side point, i asked Berni how she liked the 81 and she likes it but she liked her 61 better so i guess we won't be keeping this one...
8^(
cheers

That's good news, she won't be upset when I drive off in it.

Why is it that Cruiser always moons you when you snap a photo of him?

nope, with this one she won't be upset at all... she is wanting a 61 again (or i am hoping the PZ will be the truck for her)

let's see, I am his chauffeur, cook, water boy, hair dresser, water burp cleaner upper, doctor, food supplier, patter and finally his pooper scooper... he probably figures "kiss my butt and get back in the truck, I want to see more sights"

Greg_B said:
Wayne...awesome pics...

We really are blessed with some incredible country in the western States and western Canada...

Better fuel mileage then I expected too!

gb
i think i need to do some more reaserch... maybe a test of PI on a HDJ81... let's see i have a kit sitting here and it only takes about 2 hours to install, a few to rig up a tank mount...
it would be interesting to see if it could get over the 30 mpg.
cheers

Just a question, Are your calculations using km or miles. I get about 23.1 mpg (US) for your 10.17 L per 100 km.

Thanks

Great cruiser. I was checking the numbers and converting them to us gallons per a us mile and here is what I can up with, please correct me if I am wrong. I am interested in the Hino diesels for engine convertions on older fj80's and fzj80's.

Your first leg was "from Calgary to Pincher Creek 236 km using 25.1 L of fuel "

22.1157935 miles/gallon(US)

second leg "241 km using 7 US gallons (24.5 l)"

23.1374345 miles/gallon(US)

Third leg " from Glacier to Ferni B.C. 232 KM using 25.6 L "

21.3163216 miles/gallon(US)

And the last leg "Ferni back to Calgary. 296 km using 33 l of fuel"

21.0980354 miles/gallon(US)

I use d the following link conversions and microsoft calculator.

At what point did you get 28 mpg? Granted 21 to 23 mpg is great in the hills. but I was hoping for better I am looking forward to your HDJ80 5 speed tests.

I loved the pics! :beer:

ah ha, there is the difference, my mpg were in imperial not US gallons...
it was the trip through the park where i got 27.79 mpg (imp)...

Yeah, Wayne. Dogs don't have owners, they have staff. :cool:

-Kevin

Which should one use when giving MPG? I LIKE usung imperial, as it sounds better.... but truth be told, should we give it in US gallons?

In US gallons I am getting a consistent 18.5 mpg (+/- .5) around town, but 22.5 mpg in imperial gallons sounds much better!

Wayne: Probably another newbie question by yours truly, but how much propane do you go through with your PI... and what size tank do you use?

Last edited:
depends who your audience is... if you are talkign to the State boys then US gallons, if you are conveying a message to the Canuks then Imperial...

you boys in the States need to catch up wiht the times, metric is here to stay...
;^)
cheers

Red Herring said:
Wayne: Probably another newbie question by yours truly, but how much propane do you go through with your PI... and what size tank do you use?
the only real test i have performed is the trip to Pismo beach last year, 5800 km and 4X 20 lb bottle of propane.
i have not installed PI on the 81 (yet) and the little LJs i have not tracked the consumtion of Propane... i know the little 1 lb bottles do not last long at all... i am reasoning that it is because of the amount of propane lost recharging the lines everytime it is turned on.
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom