80/LX450 CB Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I thought I would write this post because there were a few questions that did not get answered in my search to install a CB. There is a lot of great information out there though. For example the following Post by Beno with the link to the Tech article on Slee’s site:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=40474

The first question is what size CB to buy. I first bought a regular size CB like the one in my FJ40. I then came home and did a search after thinking about where to install it. Unless you have replaced your radio, there is no great solution to installing a regular size CB in an 80/LX450. That’s were I was pointed to the solution above that works great for others. I did something similar. So why did I feel this deserved another thread? The CB cable routing and power. I will include some solutions mentioned by others along with what I did. The thread recommended a mini Uniden. I searched around and went to a truck stop and they were out of the Uniden’s, but had a Cobra that was a little taller, but installed just as easy.

The next decision is routing the CB cable. The easiest solution was not obvious to me at first. (This is the part Beer is involved- Standing, drinking and looking) :beer:

Convert had the following suggestion:

convert said:
Ken
If you remove the glove box door you can see wear the antenna cable comes thru the firewall . Then use a stiff wire to pull the cable through from the engine compartment to the cab. On My 93 LC there were only s couplle of screws to remove the glove box door ?? I had no luck with power at the console and gave up after talking to BVB . Hope this helps

I took off the Glove Box door and on my 97 LX450, there were to many components in the way to be able to get the access Dan Talked about. There were several other suggestions but I wanted to make sure I could get to it from the Dash side before I tried. Having the Glove Box off does help the install.

I felt up behind the dash above the Glove box and could feel a grommet. I went and looked in the engine bay and there was a grommet with what I would call two “nipples” on it. I cut one of the nipples and made the hole larger and placed the antenna cable through the hole. With the Glove Box off, I routed the cable up and over the radio and down to the ashtray slot. I then connected the other end to my ARB.
I took all the slack out of the cable from the engine compartment. I did not want it coming loose and catching on anything. I wrapped the excess in a loop and used a plastic tie and placed the excess in a spot to the left of the Glove Box.
CB Install 010.jpg
CB Install 009.jpg

Last edited:
Next question is where to power it. First I followed the thread on unused cables under the console and thought one of them could provide power easily. I only found two of the three mentioned, but maybe the third is used in the LX450 for something else (No cell phone here). I found one with +5V Hot, but not 12.
CB Install 004.jpg
CB Install 008.jpg

I followed Converts solution and piggy backed on top of the cigarette lighter as my solution.
CB Install 015.jpg
CB Install 016.jpg

I evaluated the tech link on Christo’s site:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_uniden.htm

I decided I could do that later if I didn’t like my install. I utilized the alternative listed on Christo’s site and bought a 90 deg Elbow and installed that on the back of CB and hooked the cable with that. Hooking the cable up to the back as is would make it stick out to far
CB Install 018.jpg

Finally, where to install the external speaker. The CB speaker gets buried within the dash. I bought a small rectangular speaker and used Velcro to attach it to the console behind the shifter.

Remember that all the wires need to come out the ashtray hole before you install the CB.

To be complete I will quote the key points from Christo’s tech article:

1. The surround trim piece is removed by sliding the ashtray out, and removing two screws located on either side of the opening.
3. Remove the 'cup holder' cover (that is the funny opening at the top right hand side) by inserting a small flat screwdriver into the tabs on the upper part.
5. Once steps 1 & 2 are done you can slowly pull the surrounding trim off from the dash. After this you have to remove the ash tray slide as well.
7. To install the CB, the two tabs that have the holes for the screws (removed in step 1) need to be trimmed down. The upper and inside lip have to trimmed down about 1/4". This is a try and fit procedure. The fit is fairly tight but that is good since you will not attach the CB to anything once it is installed.
It is real tight once it is installed.

This method turned out real well. I probably will leave it the way it is and not take apart the radio to get the extra clearance. At least, I can change my mind later.
CB Install 019.jpg
CB Install 020.jpg

Last edited:
I Bought a 4 ft fiberglass ant and simply unscrew it when I am not going to use it.
CB Install 022.jpg
CB Install 023.jpg

Real nice Ken.

I've been working too hard here to be able to get around to buying and installing mine; seeing these pictures and your excellent descriptions has got me itchin' to do it this weekend.

Thanks...good stuff.
-onur

That's a nice setup! I was wondering where to put one as I have the factory stereo. I dont use the ashtray for anything and it just rattles a lot everytime I go offroad so I always take it out and toss it in the back. Now I want a CB, gonna have to let Santa know! :)

What are those switches next to the H-N-L shifter? I dont have those on my 94.

MaddBaggins said:
That's a nice setup! I was wondering where to put one as I have the factory stereo. I dont use the ashtray for anything and it just rattles a lot everytime I go offroad so I always take it out and toss it in the back. Now I want a CB, gonna have to let Santa know! :)

One allows you to start up in 2nd (for when your stuck) and the other is called power. It changes the shifting of the transmission rpm point.

Mr. Baggins,

You don't have the "2nd" button, but you do have the "PWR" button on your 94. The "ECT" button on the dash is the equivalent of the 95-97 cruisers, "PWR" button.

The "2nd" gear start, reduces the torque, so the vehicle getts better traction on slippery - ice / snow - condition.

MaddBaggins said:

Junk said:
Romer has the hands of a woman.

Nice write up though dude. Looks great.

Beats having Man Boobs :D

Thanks guys for the info. That 2nd button could be a handy thing to have, to bad I don't have one. :cheers:

Romer said:
Next question is where to power it. First I followed the thread on unused cables under the console and thought one of them could provide power easily. I only found two of the three mentioned, but maybe the third is used in the LX450 for something else (No cell phone here). I found one with +5V Hot, but not 12.

I just had an idea about that +5V source that might be useful for those who use computers in their LC. Tap into that plug and place a USB plug onto it. THen you could use those little computer LED lights, fans things like that.. but more practical would be charging a PDA or a GPS unit, like my Belkin Bluetooth GPS, without taking up another 12V outlet. Since the adatper just reduces it down to 5V anyway. I haven't checked to see if my 94 has it, but I do remember 2 or 3 plugs under there when I installed some external hidden speakers in there for my Garmin Street pilot III.
-Gary

Has any one used compact radio shack cb for this and are they any good.

I heard they were good. You could look up the specs and compare them.

I have found the best place to buy CBs abd get the best prices is Truck Stops.

Looks like you could just about flush mount the external speaker in the useless "cupholder" in front of the shifter :idea: Just drill a hole and run the speaker wire under the console.

Since this came up again, I had looked for that 5V source you mentioned in my 94 LC. I found 3 plugs and none of them had 5V but I did find 2 wires with 12V. Iin the picture are the 3 plugs and circled are the 12V leads. Are either of these plugs where you found 5V on your rig??

12v_source.jpg

-Gary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom