Builds reviving "isabel" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
i guess this will be "my" first buildup thread on here. and don't make fun of the name cause this is a cruiser i bought and it came with the name.

basically, i'm building up a 1969 fj40 which will be capable of driving to the trail, wheeling, and driving back home. hopefully, all that will be acomplished without having to work on it anywhere but in my garage. in order to do this, i will completely "overbuild" this rig where i can, given the time constraints i'm under and possible financial problems or limitations (although selling orange left me with some pocket money, even after buying this rig and some other toys). i have set a deadline for myself and sure hope i can make it. i'd like to have it running in 2 months which will give me enough time to do some testing before rubithon. better get it done, cause i'm on the comitee again this year and isabel is my only rubicon capable ride right now.

some specs:
94 tbi 350
rebuilt th700
rebuilt dana 300 with hd shafts and 4:1 ala woody (thanks for all the info bud!!!)
narrowed d60 front with powerlock and all 35 spline shafts, outer conversion
(3/4 ton calipers and rotors) to save some weight and so i don't have to
grind the crap out of the calipers to run 15" rims
high steer with ram assist
narrowed d60 rear with detroit, disc brakes
on board air
on board shower
on board welder
cage with tied in seat frame
all new wiring
full autometer gauges
fj55 rear springs SOA
longer front springs SOA
all new brake lines
all new fuel system
trans cooler
PS cooler
37" MTRs on 15" allied beadlocks
custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier....
custom front bumper with warn 8274
auxillary gas tank
aluminum rad
you get the picture.

i got started on this over the last weekend. what have i done so far? got the cruiser in the garage and made some room to work around it. pulled the old engine/trans/t-case. put it up on jack stands, put the cage in for mock-up, pulled the brake master, pulled the rad, trans cooler and lines, all the brake lines are gone, most of the wiring is out, all the front sheet metal is off,......it's pretty much stripped down as far as i need to go. i think anyways.

other prelim stuff i've done:
pulled the new engine out of a rolled 94 suburban donor vehicle.
cleaned up that engine, stripped it down, resealed it and painted the tall block.
got the d60f on the bench, pulled it apart, did some measuring and chopped off the long side axle tube right at the "C".
man, i'm beat up. good thing i get to sit at a desk during the week.

i know, i know. this thread is worthless without pics. i'll post some tonite.

all the build up pics can be seen here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/orangefj45@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/ffd8&urlhint=actn,del:s,1:f,0

Last edited:
Sounds like a very cool build. Kinda like the "Family Hauler" on steriods...

It seems like you've done a really good job balancing power/weight and strength.

Look forward to seeing it come together.

Bruce

i knew the "napoleon complex" was gonna rear its ugly head sooner or later on this one.

need an extra seat cushion so you can see over your dash nolen?! :flipoff2:
how about some pedal extensions or a rope ladder so you can gt in that hooptie?! :rolleyes:

narrow how much? 37s on 60s, put some kind of armor on please.

Time frames make things interesting :) three rigs to finish in 18 days (to moab),

one driving with front driveshaft only, needs R DS, interior and traction bar,
one rolling steering drivetrain in not wired no cage or interior, one getting
a 203/205 doubler that i just opened up today. SLEEP? naw plenty of drive/ride time.

Hey Georg, CONGRATS! Sounds wicked. Good luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help... :cheers:

Ray

HI^C said:
narrow how much? put some kind of armor on please.

narrowed about 4 inches

already ordered a matching pair of diff protectors

Bags said:
Hey Georg, CONGRATS! Sounds wicked. Good luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help... :cheers:

Ray

careful ray, i might make you paint it. but that'll have to wait until after rubithon. just replaced the rear chanel and it needs some "not-novice" bodywork to make it look purdy.

a few before pics. gotta add "new crossmember"to the list, the old one hung down way too low.
MVC-890S.JPG
MVC-911S.JPG
MVC-918S.JPG

coule more before pics of the engine, trans and t-case.
MVC-919S.JPG
MVC-920S.JPG
MVC-921S.JPG

add some gunk, a pressure washer, some gaskets, some paint and a couple of hours of work:
MVC-927S.JPG
MVC-925S.JPG
MVC-926S.JPG

damn, i gotta clean up my side yard.

now start chopping up the front axle:
MVC-908S.JPG
MVC-910S.JPG
MVC-909S.JPG

gotta try to dig out the pics of the engine donor vehicle. bought it off some guy that tried to merge onto the freeway in his suburban. problem was, he merged right into a big rig and his suburban got bounced off, spun out and off the side of the freeway into a light pole. dude walked away, i scored the suburban out of the local penny saver ads and he even delivered it to my place. pulled it off the trailer and drove, thats right, it still drove, it into my side yard where it met it's final demise administered by my airtools. i pulled the engine trans and t-case and sole the carcass the next day for $200. sometimes things just work out.

tlc73fj40 said:
Looking good Georg
the race is on
Phil

too bad you got a major jump start and i got a full time job. but it'll be fun to watch em both come together. you better be in my group at rubithon this year!

orangefj45 said:
too bad you got a major jump start and i got a full time job. but it'll be fun to watch em both come together. you better be in my group at rubithon this year!
Little details
Even wiith a jump start you are head for now But I'll wave as I go by if I do

tlc73fj40 said:
Little details
Even wiith a jump start you are head for now But I'll wave as I go by if I do

yeah, from the passenger seat of the tow truck! :flipoff2:

Any reason for the D60 rear? Most are 30 spline weak junk. for what you are talkin about for strength a 14 bolt shaved would be my choice. Since 14bolt alxes shaft are different lengths you could narrow a bit (not sure on the difference) by using just short sides and not have custom lengths. Just narrow the front D60 to match.

Other than that sounds like a great build.

very valid point and one i've pondered.

the cruiser came with the narrowed 60 rear. it's a van housing and when it was installed, we were able to narrow the long side to match the short side so we did'nt have to have a custom shaft cut. it's actually held up very well, although i do consider it to be "the weak spot" of my running gear. i will be carrying a spare shaft and if i do end up having problems with it, i will upgrade it from 30 to 35 spline parts. right now i figured i have other priorities as far as getting the cruiser done. besides, i'd hate to fork out the extra $s for the 35 spline shafts and detroit right now, with all the other parts i'm already having to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom