Gauge Pods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know cruiserman post in a thread his carbon gauge pod. I'm looking for a dual pod similar for 2 1/6 either grey or black to sit on top of the dash to the right of the cluster. If you have gauge pods could you post em up? I'm looking for different ideas.

Thanks!

Seen the one advertised in the Japanese site roscoFJ73 posted?

Dave
pod.JPG

I looked high and low for a compatable gauge pod pillar which would work in my 70. I even took a bunch of various different makes and models out of the store and into the parking lot to test fit. Nothing worked.

I bought three Autometer gauge cups and installed them like a set of pillar gauges. I think it turned out quite well.
Gauge Pods.JPG

beanz2 said:
Seen the one advertised in the Japanese site roscoFJ73 posted?

Dave

Yeah.. but I'm betting that is for a rhd. :confused: <trying to think how it would look on the other pillar> :confused:

lumpy70 said:
I looked high and low for a compatable gauge pod pillar which would work in my 70. I even took a bunch of various different makes and models out of the store and into the parking lot to test fit. Nothing worked.

I bought three Autometer gauge cups and installed them like a set of pillar gauges. I think it turned out quite well.

That actually looks a tad better than I would have imagined. What gauges do you have in there? brand/model?

They are Autometer 'Ultra-Lite' 2 1/16" gauges with the matching size cups. The cups are also available in carbon Fiber.

I tried to make it a nice clean install, and I'm pretty happy with it. I've also got them lit with some blue LED lights, so they look really cool at night.

Craig.

Sorry for the dark pics, it was night out. I made this gauge pod out of fibreglass. It was actually quite easy,just used 2" abs as the sleeves for the gauges to fit into after a couple of wraps of tape for the snug fit(after removing the autometer elastics. I had originally wanted to make an A pillar pod but found that it was just too hard to lay the fibreglass on the post. I just followed a website that a guy made showing how to make speaker boxes.
lguage pod.jpg
lgauge pod 1.jpg
lguage pod2.jpg

I see most of you all are obviously running boost and pyro but what's the 3rd? temp or oil pressure?

That's a nice custom piece there Burger.

thanks. As for the third gauge mine is a oil pressure but in hindsight from what alot of people have said I think a temp gauge would be better. I guess temp is more critical as there is a low oil pressure cutoff switch.

I second that you should run a temp gauge the ones on the 70 series are not finite enough you can swing 15 degrees and the factory gauge will barely move.

Cheers,

Michael

Burger,

the gauges look great, don't you find that they stick up pretty high and cut into you vision over the hood at all?? I need to find a new place to put my gauges on my 74 becuase I have he altimeter and temp factory pod where on my 70 series I did not have it. So I have been positioning gauges around and found it to be a little high, but maybe it just looks that way and really is not once you drive with it. Let me know

G'day,

Michael

I thought that they would but after testing by taping gauges in place I can still see the corner of my hood through the windshield above the pod.Now that it is done you really don't get bothered by it at all. Even the wife who drives it daily doesn't think it is obtrusive.

tlcruiserman said:
Burger,

the gauges look great, don't you find that they stick up pretty high and cut into you vision over the hood at all?? I need to find a new place to put my gauges on my 74 becuase I have he altimeter and temp factory pod where on my 70 series I did not have it. So I have been positioning gauges around and found it to be a little high, but maybe it just looks that way and really is not once you drive with it. Let me know

G'day,

Michael
i am nounting the guages in the rag top the same as i have in the HZJ75... in the dash, under the stereo...

Those gauges are very nice, coldtaco. Are they made by Westach?

Let me see if I can mock mine up...

Dave

Some great ideas.

I was thinking of using the temp/air one in my BJ74, gutting it and building a bezel that is angled in three spots for three gauges so the gauges would be pointed to the driver. One of those "get round tuit" projects. Westach are very nice gauges. I may try and maintain the altimeter, and use one multi-gauge from Westach pointed at the drivers seat.

Dave, the only trouble using the air duct is losing that duct outlet for the AC.

gb

Last edited:
Im going to put my boost and pyro in the two large (2.5") holes in my my center dash. Then Im going to mount the other (2 1/16") gauges in a pod.

TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom