Winter hi-po engine project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well, it is time for my big bore engine project to commence... parts are begining to trickle in... should be a fun build-up. It will include increasing the engines displacment via Toyota 101mm oversized pistons, ported cylinder head, manifold work, and a few other tricks I may try to work out.

Factory rings...

P1010077_0.JPG

Headgasket...

P1010080_1.JPG

I'll be snapping pictures of the build-up along the way... anything specific folks would like to see? Just ask!

Last edited:
I thought you were going to try the 4C-T Hino Turbo Diesel?

Nice! :) looking forward to this!

Stock is 4478cc, this will be 4568cc.

The Hino vs. 1FZ battle made for a difficult decision, in the end I decided to take the familiar route... I've rebuilt a few gas engines this way, not to mention the other projects I need to get going on. Massachusetts has strict smog laws these days, and I can't get a straight answer on the legality of this swap. It would SUCK to do all the work and not be able to get a sticker on it. I may still snag that Hino and drop in a 40 or 60 with manual trans.... anything 83 and back dosn't get dyno'd or sniffed in Massachusetts.

What about a stroker? You might not even notice 90cc extra.

Can you do a before and after dyno to make the changes quantifiable?

Looks to be interesting!

yea, I would hope this is not all about a mere 100cc, right?
hopefully you'll get most of your gains elsewhere...
E

Brian, i'm VERY interested in this. Please, for my sake take good notes and pics. I plan on doing the same thing towards the end of the next summer.

Doc, just to clarify for me, i always thought that a stroker was nothing more than a motor that has been hopped up in some manner. ie. port/polish the head, bored over, ect...?

concretejungle said:
Doc, just to clarify for me, i always thought that a stroker was nothing more than a motor that has been hopped up in some manner. ie. port/polish the head, bored over, ect...?

Officially, a stroker uses either a specialized crank or rods, or a combination of the two to produce more piston 'stroke' per revolution, which odviously increases displacement.

Displacement increase = power increase

There are negative side effects though, the angle between the piston rod and cylinder wall increases, and this increases stress on the cylinder wall- which can be bad with an aluminum block, but is generally OK with iron blocks.

And that is stroking 101. There is also DE-stroking, which is basically the opposite.

Brian,

Why not just swap in one of those LS7 engines like FirstToy showed us with the pics of that new Vette.

Just think of the sweet noises that big V8 would make....

-B-

Last edited:
90cc is not huge, but more is more, and will be of some notice. I did consider aftermarket forged units of larger size, say 102 or 103mm, as I've done that in the past. Forged units need more clearance, they rattle when cold... they will take much more abuse, but a 4.5 inline 6 produceing even 300 hp is not even breaking a sweat.

I would like to dyno it, but getting to a dyno may not be easy. I had a chance to take it down the 1/4 mile last fall, but skipped out... what a loser I am!

This I can throw out there... I do know a place with an engine dyno that does engine developement work, anyone care to chip in? :D

The only current realistic ($$) way to "stroke" a 1FZ is to weld and machine the crank. Though I have never run a welded crank, I have read about issues with them. Just not a fan... they seem hack to me... only useful for a restoration or something.

Most gains will come from improved breathing... this engine is severely corked up.

Many pics and notes to come!

I could do a V8 swap, but why? This is a BIG beautiful 6 with an excellent cylinder head... it will match a 4 valve V8 of similar size quite easily in the power department, and out live it.... Not to mention the adapters and electronics of such a swap, fun stuff, I've dealt with 350TPI bowties in Jeeps, and swapping VR6 VW engines into old 4 cylinder GTI's... I just want to see what it (1FZ) can do.

There are other external area's to mess with, manifold to converter pipes, maybe a true dual exhaust... let the fun begin. Robbie has built a couple 1FZ engines, he had some good info in previous posts, maybe he'll chime in again.

Massachusetts has dropped the dino testing for 96+ vehicles. Those cars have OBDII compliant computers and the station will only need to scan the ECU and confirm no codes and that the vehicle as been driven a certain number of drive cycles.

bjowett said:
I'll be snapping pictures of the build-up along the way... anything specific folks would like to see? Just ask!

A good documentation of the work associated with replacing the head gasket would be a good addition to the forum IMHO.

:beer:
Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
A good documentation of the work associated with replacing the head gasket would be a good addition to the forum IMHO.

I second, pictures too...a :princess: like me needs visuals.

bjowett said:
I could do a V8 swap, but why?

The LS7 has 7 liters, 500hp, and that seductive throaty rumble that only a V8 can produce.

:D

-B-

Beowulf said:
The LS7 has 7 liters, 500hp, and that seductive throaty rumble that only a V8 can produce.

:D

-B-

errr.... you have heard early Ferrari V12s? Now that would be seductive! :cool:

E

e9999 said:
errr.... you have heard early Ferrari V12s? Now that would be seductive! :cool:

E

uh ...........................realistic.......................... :rolleyes:

bjowett said:
Well, it is time for my big bore engine project to commence... parts are begining to trickle in... should be a fun build-up. It will include increasing the engines displacment via Toyota 101mm oversized pistons, ported cylinder head, manifold work, and a few other tricks I may try to work out.

Factory rings...

bjowett - If you ever need someone to hold your wrench or take digital photos, getting them on the web or assistance of any kind let me know. Not having the skills myself I would love to see the internals of the 1-FZ and gain some wrenching know-how in exchange for some grunt work and some :beer: if you are so inclined. I'm in Portland ME now and I think you are fairly close I seem to remember. Best of luck with the build :cheers:

bjowett said:
90cc is not huge, but more is more, and will be of some notice. I did consider aftermarket forged units of larger size, say 102 or 103mm, as I've done that in the past. Forged units need more clearance, they rattle when cold... they will take much more abuse, but a 4.5 inline 6 produceing even 300 hp is not even breaking a sweat.

I would like to dyno it, but getting to a dyno may not be easy. I had a chance to take it down the 1/4 mile last fall, but skipped out... what a loser I am!

This I can throw out there... I do know a place with an engine dyno that does engine developement work, anyone care to chip in? :D

The only current realistic ($$) way to "stroke" a 1FZ is to weld and machine the crank. Though I have never run a welded crank, I have read about issues with them. Just not a fan... they seem hack to me... only useful for a restoration or something.

Most gains will come from improved breathing... this engine is severely corked up.

Many pics and notes to come!

I could do a V8 swap, but why? This is a BIG beautiful 6 with an excellent cylinder head... it will match a 4 valve V8 of similar size quite easily in the power department, and out live it.... Not to mention the adapters and electronics of such a swap, fun stuff, I've dealt with 350TPI bowties in Jeeps, and swapping VR6 VW engines into old 4 cylinder GTI's... I just want to see what it (1FZ) can do.

There are other external area's to mess with, manifold to converter pipes, maybe a true dual exhaust... let the fun begin. Robbie has built a couple 1FZ engines, he had some good info in previous posts, maybe he'll chime in again.

Brian, you seem to have the exact thought process on these motors as i do. I look forward to seeing your work, notes and good photos.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom