The 90-95 Hilux Surf Clinometer/Altimeter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
I've had this for a few years, but recently took it out to play with it and modify it for a larger range of motion...

It came from New Zealand and was out of a right hand drive 90-95 Hulux Surf (4Runner in the rest of the world). There is a "RH" molded into the back which leads me to believe there might be left hand drive models out there that would fit with less modification...

The point of my instal was to keep it as low profile as I could. The rear of the body is sitting directly on the metal of the dash under the foam which I carved out where it needed room. I trimmed the bottom of the face frame and cut off a large chunk that was sloped to fit the right hand drive dash board. I also modified the mounting frame, which was a full length peice that went under the whole unit and then up the sides to attach where I have it attached. I cut the original frame and just used the 2 "L" brackets to mount it directly to the dash. Once it was mounted I trimmed the rear cover to fit down onto the dash nicely for a factory look.

The wiring is very simple, just hook into the switched power of the dash lights (I used the heater panel lights as they were easy to get to) and ground the smaller wire. Note that there is a hole in the dash under the foam for the wires on the stock north american Clinometer/Altimeter that is large, ugly, and looks like a Tercel. :D

You can see a little of the rear cover in the right of this first pic.... and McGrew dust.... :D

attachment.php

Altimeter.JPG
a1.JPG
a2.JPG

Last edited:
The Clinometer mechanism is interesting. Lots of little parts in there.... In the third pic the 2 curved blue lines are where I used a dremmel to make more room for the weight to swing, and the small blue dot is where there was a "post" coming out of the white disc that stopped it at the top and bottom of it's swing.
a3.JPG
a4.JPG
a5.JPG

The new working range of the clinometer..... I hope to never use either of those to that severity....

And a few shots of the Altimeter section while it's apart.

The inner unit is about 8 inches long, 2.5 inches high and 2.5 deep. With the case on it's 9.25 long, 3 high, and 3.25 deep as modified by me, the original dimentions are lost to me :D
a6.JPG
a7.JPG
a8.JPG

if he can get a few id be up to buy one also

I've wanted one of those for a while. Ever since seeing one on my friends 4x4 Tercel! Are they the same ones if I'm looking at a wrecker yard? I see them on Ebay all the time too, but 60 bux or so for em. If someone comes up with a cheaper altenative, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom