Builds Enduring Task: 1968 + 1978 Build/Merge Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During my second tour of Iraq, I purchased a 1968 FJ40 with the help of my uncle, a retired chemist with several patents on the Corvette and other high performance cars of the day.

I grew up helping him restore Corvettes. We were going to meddle our mutual interests in creating something a little different using a 1968 FJ40 and various muscle car parts from the late 60s to include a 327 small block from an earlier model Corvette.

Unfortunately, six months upon my return from Baghdad my uncle passed away from a massive heart that hit him during his morning jog.

Besides losing him, I lost his skilled services and the blueprints in his head. Luckily for me, he left me a garage full of tools acquired over his lifetime and 327 small block ready for a little machining.

Essentially unaided locally (like a blind squirrel finding a nut) - I've taken a stout / running heap and most of my garage space into transformed them into an enduring task.

Along the way, I've befriended a few FJ40 owners who answer my ignorant e-mails about "where can I find this and that". As I can't always bother them too much, what not a better way to say "Hi, I'm a FJ40 project addict that needs help"

The 1968 FJ40 (before restoration / rebuild)
My Toy.jpg

My Toy Doors Front.jpg

My Toy Rear.jpg
My Toy Doors Front.jpg
My Toy Rear.jpg
My Toy.jpg

Clean machine. A good start would be to get a Downey V8 Instruction manual (free for the asking) before you start. Heck, talk to me and I'll throw in a free catalog to boot. THANKS FOR KEEPING AN EYE ON OUR COUNTRY IN IRAQ.

Jim

Clean machine. A good start would be to get a Downey V8 Instruction manual (free for the asking) before you start. Heck, talk to me and I'll throw in a free catalog to boot. THANKS FOR KEEPING AN EYE ON OUR COUNTRY IN IRAQ.

Jim

Thats very cool! :beer:

Oh and ask away on the board...TONS of knowlege.

A huge thanks for protecting our country!

I have a pair of almost new bib light lenses(amber) that I will contribute. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.

Ed:beer::beer:

As my uncle took most of the 327 engine blueprinting with him and most of the Birfield.com community strongly advised going with the stock engine, I purchased a running 1978 2F motor and frame to make life easier for me.

Of course, I learned that having two semi-running FJ40s in a well-managed homeowner association community ain't good. :ban:

As soon as I learn how to shrink the project pictures :confused:, I will post picture progress to date -

For now, I've done the following:

(1) 1968 tub and body parts completely repaired and painted
(2) 1978 frame fitted with a 4" lift and POR-15
(3) 34" x 9.5 Super Swamper tires (Bias Ply) on Chrome FJ62 rims
(4) 2F motor overhauled
(5) 4 speed transmission / transfer rebuilt
(6) New stainless steel hard brakelines and hose
(7) Mini-truck power steering box

Jar- Nice looking cruiser. Welcome back, and we hope you don't have to go for a third time. Thanks for contributing to saving our collective rear-ends. :cheers:Ned. (ex- 101st, one tour in 'Nam)

Here is a shot of the 1968 tub on the 1978 frame with 4" lift from Skyjacker and 34"x9.5" swampers

1118602421_d7a13964d2.jpg

The 1978 2F returned from the machine shop

1118597355_8f7174c1cd.jpg

And, a shot with the 2F mounted (don't mind the rust for now its Cleveland)

1118602047_5567a4f2aa.jpg

Last edited:
The 1968 tub (before the effort to unass the previous owners' modifications which were many) :mad:

1149967786_8c4421b04e.jpg

After a few weeks with my friend who does body work / painting on the side (we metal patched the faux radio slot and eliminated a few extra dash guage slots)

1119437114_809c0ce9e0.jpg

The 1965 VW Bug is awaiting its engine on steriods while serving as a place to park the yard equipment. :idea:

Nice work! keep asking questions, that is what we are all here for.

similliar builds..

interesting build!! i recently purchased a 68 from the orig owner who installed a 66 Vette drivetrain which included the 327 and Muncie 4-spd tranny. Just got it running and haven't driven it much, just around the yard(it has no brakes, ha!). Looking forward to the suspension install and Rhino Lining the tub and top soon. Got the SS LTB's 34x10.5x15 so pretty close to your choice as well. Looks like we may have a lot in common. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!!
FJ4080608 067 .50.jpg

Fj40

Man it looks good!

I know what it's like to be deployed and dream dreams about the next project--what else is there?:):)

So you decided to go with the 2f? I dont think you can go wrong there---ease of maintenance, resell value, and they perform just fine

I am putting a 79 2F in my 71 but it is still in the process of being shipped. Any issues with hooking things up on the 78 motor using the 68 wiring, hoses, etc?

best of luck

Got Lost in the Supermarket

Geez ... I went out for a few items at the supermarket; I took a wrong turn down the canned veggies aisle and found myself living in Chicago two years later.

Now I'm back and set a deadline to finally get this project finished before I get lost again.

My garage 2006-2009

FJ40%20100%20Day%20Plan%20009.JPG

My garage 2010

[
FJ40%20100%20Day%20Plan%20423.JPG

Since my last post, I acquired a decent running but rusty 1978 FJ40 that serves as my parts' truck. I drove it until I pushed my foot through the floorboard.

Over the next 100 days, I aim to get enough done to eliminate much of my storage needs as I may move again.

Last edited:
are you grafting in the firewall section and pedals to get the boosted brakes?

Any progress. was going through build posts and this one had a nice start but no finish...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom