running rough, VSC lights on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The SO called me last night and told me the cruiser was running rough and that she thought it was going to die on her. I met her at a parking lot to check it out but couldn't find anything obvious. Truck idles rough and doesn't want to accelerate but there is no stalling issue. The exhaust doesn't smell right. The check engine light is flashing and the VSC/TRAK and VSC off lights are on. I drove it to the dealer and left it to be checked out. I didn't think to check for blown fuses. Any ideas what could be going on? :confused: I'll post more when I hear from the dealer.

I forgot to mention, 2000 TLC, 90,000 miles. oil pres. temps, & volt all indicate normal. There's a chance she may have( nearly )run out of gas just before it happened -problem started when she restarted the truck after filling up.

Hmm..

The VSC light is on too ?

Although it could be the most common ailment (a bad ignition coil).. I`m thinking maybe an air/fuel ratio sensor or a throttle body issue..

Yeah, keep us posted !

Flashing Check Engine Light indicates misfire occuring with possibility of Catalytic Converter damage. Expect to hear that you have a faulty ignition coil. Other possibilties are spark plug or fuel injector, but coil is most likely.

VSC lights come on with MIL, kind of a sympathy code.

P.S. Cat. will not suffer unless it's allowed to go on for some time.

At 90K my money is on the throttle body - seems like every one has been replaced or cleaned several times - but it appears that the coil is becoming more and more of an issue with the same symptoms.
Best of luck

news from dealer

bad coil according to the tech. yes, the exhaust did stink when the problem started. I drove to the dealer immediately -probably about 5-6 miles at 30 -40mph. I assume that was not enough to damage the CAT? I was quoted 280 for the coil. The VSC and TRAC lights came on for no reason other than to get your attention aparently -nothing wrong with the system.

You said no acceleration? Get the codes checked and you will know right away. It could be a coil, but as the others said the Throttle Body is also a likely location. There you will find the Throttle Position Sensor and Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor that have become chronic issues too.

Do a search - there are several threads on this problem.

Good Luck

I just had this same problem last night. I drove it to my friends house and he checked the code for me. Its #4 cylinder misfire and the other lights came on like you mentioned. I woulnt worry to much about the other lights or the CAT if you just drive it to be fixed or home. Check the plugs as well, worn plugs can drive the coils to work harder for spark and cause premature failure.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom