Running boards - better on or off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
We're gearing up for our first trip with the LX next week. Plan to use it to get into the Maze District of the Canyonlands. I am wondering if it would be better to remove the boards before the trip or if they may provide a buffer for body damage. Will the damage just be amplified if they're on? I'm sure that some here have beat them up before getting sliders (Sliders are not in the budget timewise or $$ right now).

Thanks

The boards will do more damage than good. Unless the hit is really light, the brackets will simply allow the running boards to go up into the body.

The only exception I can see is light hits from branches and other MOVEABLE objects. The boards might push these away from the body, eliminating some scratches.

But for hits on rock, they are a no go.

Bent mine with a tiny bottom out on a dirt mound. I took them off about a week later.

Take them off and sell them. You'll be suprised at what a big difference, at least visually, it makes to remove them. I took mine off after bending them all up, and I wish I'd done it before I ever drove it off the pavement.

I agree that they look better off, but I had mine on for my first wheeling trip, and they saved my rockers. Kinda acted like a crunch zone.
image002.jpg
image005.jpg

well, one good thing about them, is that if you are beginning to mangle them with rocks in particular, they start to complain loudly, so it's kind of a built-in alarm system.... :)

I agree that they look better off, but I had mine on for my first wheeling trip, and they saved my rockers. Kinda acted like a crunch zone.

Dan, your giving advice on how to avoid body damage.

Jay
Kliers2.jpg

Personally I would get some sliders before I went into the Maze District. Way cheaper than fixing rocker damage $$$$.
Cheers,
Sean

Dan, your giving advice on how to avoid body damage.

Jay

That's not fair:crybaby:

The running boards were off in your pic and besides, I think the hood survived:D

The running boards work great on my wife's truck. The kids (5yrs) & grandma can walk right up into it.

They aren't exactly built for up forces.

it definitely looks better with them off..you are all welcome to sell yours but I'm keeping mine around for mall cruising, I would like to keep my doors protected.

my wife and kids would be in trouble if i took mine off. at only a few inches over stock, they would stilll need a pole vault to get in. plus those dang car seats would be a pain if i didn't have the built in ladder. oh, but i think they look much better without and i'm sure it depends on what kind of "stuff" your protecting against wether they would help or hinder.....rockers hurt easy.

If you are even modestly careful, you won't have to worry about your running boards. The roughest sections into the Maze are around teapot dome and not that bad. Go slow and if you think you are close to rubbing your running boards, get out, enjoy the view and stack a few rocks:D

If you are headed east into the Dollhouse area, there's a short section that is somewhat rougher, but I still think you can do it carefully without any damage at all. It is really remote but nowhere near as difficult as say Poison Spider Mesa or Golden Spike.

Have fun, I'm jealous;p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom