Builds ROTW TiredironGRB Part II (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
tired-iron.mounet.com
Here's the link to the first ROTW thread for my rig, I will try and pick up where that one left off.
We left off shortly after the homebrew sliders were installed and the 80 went on it's first trail ride.

Over the next six months I wheeled the 80 almost every weekend with no problems other than a little body damage here and there.

normal_Evarts040106_27.jpg

normal_Evarts040106_59.jpg

normal_Damage01.JPG

normal_Damage02.JPG

normal_Damage03.JPG

I got rid of the huge rock grabber muffler.
64.jpg

Replaced it with a Flowmaster 40 knockoff.
normal_TLC_129.JPG

normal_TLC_130.JPG

normal_TLC_131.JPG

The Boggers and factory Volvo wheels gave the 80 a very narrow stance which led to the flop against the water fall above.
DSCF0009.jpg

I went with a set of 39.5X13.50X17 Iroks mounted on MRW 17X10 Bead locks. I really like the way it feels now, it's much more stable.
normal_Irok_01.JPG

normal_Irok_02.JPG

normal_Irok_03.JPG

normal_Irok_04.JPG

normal_Irok_05.JPG

normal_Irok_06.JPG

After using a winch with synthetic rope to help a buddy get his Blazer off the trail after braking his steering box I decided that the synthetic rope is the way to go.
normal_WinchRope01.JPG

normal_WinchRope02.JPG

So I went with some Winchline rope, an Excel hook, and synthetic rollers.

I also got a better trailer to haul the 80 to Cruiser events like the Southern Cruiser Crawl.
Trailer01.jpg

Trailer02.jpg

Next mod is to weld a loop on the front axle so I can use my winch to keep the front coils from unloading on steep obsticles.

Awesome :)

After the hoop on the front you are gonna help me get setup right? ;)

TiredIron...I was looking at your Gray Rock pics...WTF happened to the front of that FJ? Looks costly!

Awesome rig TiredIronGRB. Are Volvo portals easy to work on? How about parts availability? :confused:

Yep.. you're ringing the bell. You've definitely built yourself a reference rig.

One question about the tires, however. I was thinking about going to skinnier tires, but you just went wider. Do you have any comments on the reasons? The width of the stance could have been dealt with via the wheels.

Regardless of the answer to that, I think the new wheels and tires look fantastic.

TiredIron...I was looking at your Gray Rock pics...WTF happened to the front of that FJ? Looks costly!
He bent up the steering linkage and blew the rear dif.

Are Volvo portals easy to work on? How about parts availability? :confused:
They are easy to work on but parts are not plentiful, but are out there.

One question about the tires, however. I was thinking about going to skinnier tires, but you just went wider. Do you have any comments on the reasons?
I wanted to go with the 40" Iroks and that's as narrow as I could get in a 17"

On Portals?

Yep, I have only been hounding you since Gray Rock :)

I can't afford the bill you want for that rig, but a 96 on portals sounds interesting, and the $4000-$5000k may be swingable...and I have a non-DD 80 so it makes sense to me!

I just wish I had a fraction of your skills, amazing stuff you have there.

Very Nice! Have you done much with the interior yet, as for mods?

I hate that truck.............

It always gives me wood and major pangs of jealousy.

As always thanks for contributing.:cool:

I have the tablet PC (shown in the first ROTW), I have removed one of the second row seats and have a large storgage box bolted to the floor. I have other boxes with tools and recovery equipment in them and a chainsaw, woodsman's pal, and Maxitool all of which are secured well. I'll try and post some pictures tonight.

Muffler sounds good very quite but has a little more of a throaty sound than the stock one.

Probably the coolest 80 in the IH8MUD world.
The action pics are always appreciated and enjoyed.

I didn't think you could use rollers with synthetic rope?

Man, that truck gives me wood.

I need a sock.

Amazing stuff TiredIron. Great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom