fj62 tranny fluid change (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The weather will be getting better and I will be doing some preventative maintanence on my 88 fj62. I will be changing the trans fluid and clean the filter but have never done it before on any vehicle. I was wondering whether I should change the gasket to the pan, and if so which brand should I use? Should I change the gasket and filter before or after I drain and replace the fluid a few times( because most of the fluids stays in the transfer case)? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot for the input!

You're a better man than I am Archie. I decided to change diff fluids plus tranny fluid after buying my 89FJ62 last year. Went to loosen drain and fill plugs on the diffs and couldn't budge them, even with breaker bar and a kick. Said Fawk it, this time I'll get a shop to do it. You could clean the filter instead of changing it if you plan on doing it again soon and want to save some bucks, but it seems that you'll have to replace that gasket or use gasket goop. Can't go wrong with OEM gasket. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. Oh, I don't follow what you're saying about the transfer case fluid. That's a different lube.

oh yeah, you're right about the tranfer case fluid is a different from the trans fluid. I actually used the wrong description. But I do believe that most of the trans fluid is retained in the vehicle even though it is drained. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I haven't gotten greasy for a while so I am anticipating doing this job. This is the only way I can dispose of my old torn-up clothes:).

draining the trans fluid, I don't remember how much stays in %, but the torque convertor still has fluid in it. You could use a speedy lube type place. They disconnect a trans cooler line and back flush the trans until clean fluid comes out. Atleast you know all the fluid is changed.

Hey Archie,

I'm doing the same myself this weeked, and when i asked the guy at the local parts shop for some oil for my diffs, gear box and transfer case, he handed me 12ltrs of the same grade Valvoline oil? I asked if this was right ??? and he showed me the specs for my 76 fj55, and there it was!! All the same.

I would of thought yours would be the same ???

Archie is running an auto, aI suspect your tranny is a 4spd manual, and therefore all the lube would be the same.

I have done numerous searches and found many different conflicting answers on running ATF in the t-case behind the auto tranny. My chevy runs atf in the t-case and so does the t-case in my HJ61??????

One thing I would reccomend is synthetic ATF fluid. I have noticed a big difference in tranny performance after I switched. I personally run transynd. I get tighter shifs, lower tranny temps and the torqu converter locks up faster and stays locked up.

the fj62's (in America) are electronic fuel injected vehicles with auto trans. thanks you for your input.

ok if trans fluid has small metal shavings, then if i change the fluid at my house as i did two weeks ago, i am still leaving most of it, along with all the shavings in it, in the trans. i now understand why my fluid/ filter change didn't too all that much. i need to get to a fluid flushing shop. anyhoo on another note, when i dropped my old filter is was a biaaatch to clean, so i went with a new one. it came with new pan gaskets, so to all those getting filters, yours should includes gaskets too. i called the dealership and they said they just clean them, but i felt i would be safer with a brand new one, all the crevases of the old still had sh^t jamed in em. i would never get that clean. but on a funny note. when i put it all together, i was so ready to drive that i backed out the drive, my "car cutter corners on my 'benbuilt' front bumper accidentally decided to say hello to my fathers front quarter panel on his 04 leased volvo s80. haha he should have left his car there when he went out of town. that was a b^tch of a surprise when he returned.

archie said:
oh yeah, you're right about the tranfer case fluid is a different from the trans fluid. I actually used the wrong description. But I do believe that most of the trans fluid is retained in the vehicle even though it is drained. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I haven't gotten greasy for a while so I am anticipating doing this job. This is the only way I can dispose of my old torn-up clothes:).

archie. good luck with it. that is how i get rid of my old clothest too :D

Whatever you do, DO NOT take it to a "quicky lube". They often do pressure flushing and you do not want that. You are correct in that alot of the AT fluid remains inside the Torque Converter and elsewhere inside the Trans. when you just drain from the plug. The easiest way is one I learned from Rodney over at the 3FE yahoo list. See below:

Here is a full set of instructions to do an Automatic Transmission full flush and oil flow test all at the same time. I have done it different ways but the best way I have set out below:
*Remove the front drive shaft. *Undo the rear cooler line from the rear transmission union. *Slide a rubber hose over the cooler line and direct it into a bucket. *Either drain the transmission using the drain plug or service the transmission. *Refill the transmission with 1 and a half gallons of transmission oil (Synthetic Recommended). *Start the car in park and hold it at 2000Rpm for 60 seconds and turn off. *Measure the oil in the bucket to find out transmission flow. *Add another gallon into transmission. (Engine Off) *Restart car and let it just idle until the oil changes colour to a nice clean oil, you will need to ad some oil as you are doing this to keep it flowing. Then shut engine off. *Refit rear cooler line. *Refit front shaft. *Restart car and top up the transmission to correct level.

anything special I nee to do on my 4 spd fj60? 52,000 orig miles.

anything special I nee to do on my 4 spd fj60? 52,000 orig miles.

I don't think you have an automatic transmission in your fj60, so just check your clutch cylinder for proper fluids.

52,000 miles...wow! Drive it more - it will be good for it!

Just follow the factory service schedule for replacing fluids/etc. Note it has miles or months in the schedule - you will probably want to go with months.

I've got some ticking but when I depress the clutch, The ticking goes away. So I would think that it's the throw out bearing. I will be having the clutch done at the same time.

Why do you have to disconnect the front drive shaft if you leave the truck in park when you do the flush?

It gives you more room to work. When I dump the ATF in my 62 I add 4.5 qts. The plug in the pan is not far from the plug in the oil pan, so I do both every other oil change. The ATF in my P.O.S is a nice clean red.

It gives you more room to work. When I dump the ATF in my 62 I add 4.5 qts. The plug in the pan is not far from the plug in the oil pan, so I do both every other oil change. The ATF in my P.O.S is a nice clean red.

Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom