Trail-Gear Dusy-Ershim Trail Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a few photos I took from the first annual Trail-Gear Dusy-Ershim Trail run..

1002.jpg

1031.jpg

1089.jpg

0994.jpg

Check out the all the photos here...

http://www.trail-gear.com/events/2006-dusy/2006dusy.html

way to go!!!!!
why don't you post the pics that were posted on pirate as well. thanks for putting one of our most beautiful trails in jeopardy with your BS stunts and complete disregard for anybody else in our community wanting to enjoy that area?!

fxxx me.:mad:

Great fawkin' pictures! I didn't realize that we could park off the fawkin trail right up against the lakes or in the meadows blazing away! Ever wonder why the great trails are threatend for closure?

The pics of you idiots climbing the trees clearly off the trail in your "Trail Gear" rig is priceless. Wonder if the USFS would be interested in this album? I hope they pursue you fawktards!

I just heard what happened with Hobie Smith driving off the trail and onto some live trees. This was totally recless behavor and is the type of activity that gets trails closed. Had I been there when that was going on I would have put a stop to it, not photograph it. I would assume that because he posted these photos himself that he was proud of what he did.

Interesting Chris, Isn't that you driving along side or near some of the careless places way the fawk off the trail in the album posted? Didn't you drive up and camp with these dudes next to the lakes or in the meadows? Cause the pics show otherwise...Appreciate the name Hobie Smith!

Wonder what TLCA and BRC would think of these?

Chris_Geiger said:
I just heard what happened with Hobie Smith driving off the trail and onto some live trees. This was totally recless behavor and is the type of activity that gets trails closed. Had I been there when that was going on I would have put a stop to it, not photograph it. I would assume that because he posted these photos himself that he was proud of what he did.

TUFFTORQ said:
Interesting Chris, Isn't that you driving along side or near some of the careless places way the fawk off the trail in the album posted? Didn't you drive up and camp with these dudes next to the lakes or in the meadows? Cause the pics show otherwise...Appreciate the name Hobie Smith!

The rules about camping are very clear. Each night I camped next to a fire ring in a designated camp site with a fire permit in hand. I personally spoke with the local ranger for 3 hours prior to going on this trip. I never drove off the trail and sure as hell never drove on live trees.

As far as the lake parking goes this was a designated camp site with fire ring and toilet. The lake side campsite was a permitted camp site created by the forest service. We also had a local ranger with us at this camp site for several hours. He joined up for the first few hours of the trail in his Jeep.

I did not camp on the beach with the rest of the group as I prefer a more quite camp that me and my family could enjoy (I was there with my wife, son, father and mother). I walked down to the beach in the morning to take photos of the beach.

I have been asked about two photos that I posted in the trip reports. Here are the photos below...

1089.jpg

1081.jpg

These two photos show trucks (mine and my dad's) that are on the designated trails. These two photos were taken on a section of the trail that goes through the meadow after chicken rock. Neither of these two trucks ever left the trail at any time during the trip. Both shots show the trucks in the center of the only trail through that section.

I am sure Chris would not condone such activity on a run he is sponsoring. Unfortunately, (speaking with some experience in hosting events) event sponsors are unable to monitor all the activities of event attendees, even though they are ultimately held accountable.

I am also sure that Chris will be more diligent next year in explaining the trail rules and subsequent ramifications to event attendees if not followed.

Events like this provide a great opportunity to inform OHV enthusiasts about proper trail ettiquette and acting responsibly in order to maintain a positive reputation.

Remember, these folks are probably displaying this type of behavior each time they head into the back country... I believe Chris and all of us have a great opportunity to educate them and enlighten them.

Sorry your 1st event has encountered some 'less than stellar' press but I am sure this situation will result in an event better event next year Chris.

TRT2 said:
I am sure Chris would not condone such activity on a run he is sponsoring. Unfortunately, (speaking with some experience in hosting events) event sponsors are unable to monitor all the activities of event attendees, even though they are ultimately held accountable.

I am also sure that Chris will be more diligent next year in explaining the trail rules and subsequent ramifications to event attendees if not followed.

Events like this provide a great opportunity to inform OHV enthusiasts about proper trail ettiquette and acting responsibly in order to maintain a positive reputation.

Remember, these folks are probably displaying this type of behavior each time they head into the back country... I believe Chris and all of us have a great opportunity to educate them and enlighten them.

Sorry your 1st event has encountered some 'less than stellar' press but I am sure this situation will result in an event better event next year Chris.
The bummer here Tony is that it was not just some Joe Schmo off the street screwing up. It was a well known person that TG sponsored (basically a representative of TG) doing the damage.

:(

Chris_Geiger said:
I have been asked about two photos that I posted in the trip reports. Here are the photos below...

1089.jpg

1081.jpg

These two photos show trucks (mine and my dad's) that are on the designated trails. These two photos were taken on a section of the trail that goes through the meadow after chicken rock. Neither of these two trucks ever left the trail at any time during the trip. Both shots show the trucks in the center of the only trail through that section.

chris.
i do appreciate your reply to these posts. i have a bunch of pics somebody emailed me showing where people went off the trail and what was going on. the two pics in your reply definetly do not show any "trail abuse".
it's also absolutely true that camping along the shore at wentworth reservoir is permitted and from what i've heard was set up by the forrest service. no problem there.
the big problem with this trip is the way some of the attendees bahaved concerning "trail ettiquette". in your defense i have to mention that in the worst of the pics i can not see you, your rig or your dad's rig anywhere in sight so i'll have to assume that you were not present. too bad that the offenders were there representing TG. sure does'nt look good and i know it'll have reprocutions.

certainly makes me more aware of what to cover at my next driver's meeting.

thanks for updating Chris....unfortunately, as you've found, it's impossible to control all users at any event, and it's always the actions of a few that turn things sour for everyone.

As those who are active in the land use arena know, it only takes one....

great pics tho, hopefully the balance of the trip went successfully!

woody said:
thanks for updating Chris....unfortunately, as you've found, it's impossible to control all users at any event, and it's always the actions of a few that turn things sour for everyone.

As those who are active in the land use arena know, it only takes one....

great pics tho, hopefully the balance of the trip went successfully!

Actually I thought it was one of the best trips I have ever been on. Other then a minor shock problem, the Samurai ran really well. My wife really had a good time too and wants to go back again soon with our FJ80 for some camping and canoing on the lake (if that is allowed, still need to check that).

I think this trail is even more beautiful then the Rubicon. I only went about 2 miles past Thompson hill so I did not get to see the rest of the trail. I hear the best part is near the end. I am looking forward to going up (alone this time) and running the entire trail soon.

I really regret going with the group, I am glad I got to see the trail, but wish I had gone another time.

Last edited:
TRT2 said:

I don't expect to be attending next years event.

Last edited:
Can someone e-mail me the pics of what the hell not to do. As president of our club I think it would be a good thing to show to our club members at trail rides of what not to do and how it can effect eveyrone else. I'll promise not to post the pics only print them out to show at trail rides and in the safety meetings.

Marshall@828rugs.com

Thanks

This is the best trail in California. It hurts me to see yahoos screwing it up and endangering access for the rest of time. For those of you who have not been there, running this trail is an honor. It is sacred. It is a great adventure and wonderful in every way. Only the offroad community can keep this trail and others like it, open for everyone to enjoy. It only takes one doofus to ruin it for everyone. Please, if you are going to run Dusy, do it with respect. I don't know anything about Trail Gear or the politics vis a vis Marlin Crawler, but Trail Gear has a major black mark in my book as yahoo fawkups over this episode and these pictures. Some things are too important to accept excuses.:frown:

ive not managed to see anything that offended me greatly either, evidently there were some pics of someone driving up a tree or something? i never saw it. what i saw was some camping on the lake edge, but that is evidently legal. and some on what appears to be a meadow, but that is evidently the trail. then i saw some of some guys running up a rock for no apparent reason other than they could...i have personal problems with that but i guess it was legal (or was it and is this the crux of the complaint? i doubt that boulder is "the trail", right?)

personally i dont abuse equipment for the sake of it or to impress gals much less any guys who might be standing around but i did find it hilarious that that yahoo tipped over his rig screwing around. imo serves him right and i hope he got a big towing bill out of it (though im sure he didnt, looks like that thing was made to roll).

i myself want to use my rig to get me where im going, not to dick around with the environment or go up rocks for the photo op. but im not in the 12th grade anymore either.

all i know is that if i had hiked into that lake and saw that turning over crap or driving off the trails (much less up onto live trees but like i said i never saw that photo) or trucks up on boulders i would be the first to get bugged and probably go tell them so though i would expect to get punched or have a gun drawn on me for my trouble. then it would be ranger time and then you know what that means...an arrest and closed trails and no fun for anyone anymore.

and if *i* would do that i would think some hard core environmentalist or even just normal nature lover wouldnt bother with even talking to them, they would just get plate numbers and go to the authorities over it.

sorry if the words sting; if the cap fits then you must wear it.

one love
jah bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom