Skinny 35's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
Is there such a beast as a skinny 35" tire, outside of the swamper line?

11" wide or smaller? Ideally, to fit a 16" wheel. but 17's OK.

If not, why not? If so... where?

All the searches here turned up old tire styles no longer made or non US imported styles.

I believe swamper makes a 35x10.5R15 (or is it 16?).

Another tire to check is the Q78-15's

Interco seems to be the only narrow 35's that are easy to get in the States. I'm in the same boat looking for narrow 35's and don't get me wrong Swampers are a great tire but what about the road trips or if the rig is a DD? My issue is finding a good tire that will work on the road when I'm not on the trail that is roughly the same width.

Q78x15 & 16 - standard swampers ~$180 ea.
35x10.5/16 Swamper SSR ~$220+ ea.

On the off chance you could live with narrow 34's there is 34x10.5/16 Swamper LTB's, pretty inexpensive as well mid $100's.

Looked for the same thing...35"x16"x11'ish...not to be found in a type of tread I wanted (MT/R for example!). Many of my buds want the same size and type. The tire dealer even says he has many of his customers that want this tire size but non-available. So it seems like there is demand...

IBCRUSN said:
Swampers are a great tire but what about the road trips or if the rig is a DD? .

That's my problem as well, it's my DD. I can't justify running an aggressive swamper type tire year round.

Don't know if you can get them over there but I have a set of play tyres in that size. Simex Extreme Trekker "The Centipede" 35/10.5R16. Over here in OZ they are the competition tyre of choice for the all-terrain/winch challenge type events.

http://www.simex4x4.com/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=106&nav_cat_id=127&nav_top_id=55&dsa=5

OGALZTOGKR_extreme on red ROH Rim cut down.JPG
OGALZTOGKR_extreme on red ROH Rim cut down.JPG

I'm running the Swamper size Q78-15 on my 40 series and they are surprisingly well mannered on the highway. I don't run a top and rarely see speeds over 55mph but there is way less noise and vibration than I was expecting. They do flat spot overnight and take a while to warm back up and return to a round shape but there aren't as bad as I had thought they would be.

Not sure on any other brands or sizes, just thought I'd lend some firsthand knowledge of the Swampers. Good Luck.

The 295's would be ideal. Any idea which mfg. that was? That way those interested could email them.

Good tires.

Thanks much.

there's an 8.25r16 tire that Firestone makes (here in Costa Rica, anyway) that looks to be about 34 or 35 inches tall. Only about 8.25 of tread... pretty skinny.

What about a 255/85r16? That should be close to 34" (about as tall as a 35x12. and about 11" wide.

My BFG 255-85-16's are 33.3" in diameter. I don't know if that qualifies as close in size to a 35" tire. It's still almost 1.7" less.

I am in the same boat too... The only tires available are various versions of swampers :frown: Soo... I will probably give in and run them ....eventually

If ONLY Toyo made a 35X10.5 OpenCountry M/T ... drool.... ; )

Swampers make a great 2nd set of tires for offroad, it's the on-road tire that is difficult to find. There are all kinds available around 33" but then jump all the way up to over the road truck tires at 42".

The 9.00-16 is a great option but for a road tire it would be much better to find a radial. It's certainly good to see something other than Michelin XL though.

This has been frustrating me as well. Tall and narrow seems to not be in US tire marketers books.

I've seen that Goodyear makes a 255/85R16 in their Wrangler AT. 33" tire...

Now, What I'd like is a 255/95R16 that I can run on 16x8 rims. Nobody makes anything like it though. At least not that I've been able to find.

Pskhaat said:
I've `heard' there was a manufacturer considering a 275/85r16 http://xepoch.com/mud/tire.cgi?w=275&a=85&r=16 and 295/85r16 http://xepoch.com/mud/tire.cgi?w=295&a=85&r=16 ; doubt however anything will be available before you need 'em though.

I contacted Maxxis on this and their comment was, Yes they are adding other sizes but neither of these two are in the works right now. He didn't say what model tires but just that there would be a few more sizes.

I guess there could be an email campaign but would it really work with so few people? I think the only guys looking tall & skinny are a handful of Cruiser folks and the Rover guys.

If the shipping was so bad from OZ it might be worth getting a set of Extreme Trekker's or Jungle Trekker's for "off road only" use. The ballpark price for the 35/10.5x16 is $235 USD, not far off of the Swamper radials in that size. The Q78-16 certainly looks like the tire for now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom