Starter Bushing for Disk Conversion - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Taking the advice from this forum I attempted to use starter bushings to sleeve the mini truck steering arms that I am installing on my 74 fj40 and therefore keep the original fj40 steering arms. Previous posts stated that the bushing was Borg Warner part #SB0 or SB1. I ordered SB0 and they are too big, and the SB1 part number seems to be discontinued. I found SB102 but nothing that is SB1, Autozone has a substitute part # that is $20/ea, :eek: not a bargain by any means. Any help on a source for these or a better part #?

Last edited:
Have you tried any other parts house?

Napa, CarQuest, ???

Tried Googling the part number and finding an on-line vendor?

SOR has a special piece made for this application as I am sure there are other vendors that do also....

You should not have problem finding this piece....

Good luck!

-Steve

Carquest #

Carquest # X-4378 is the bushing I used, I have 2 here but you would be better off going to them. But if needed I can send them to you.

Myrle

fatmoe said:
#SB0 or SB1. I ordered SB0 and they are too big,
This is the part you need, get 4 in case one crushs trying to press it in, they are about $1.50 each

The end of the bushing will not fit into the hole, with out tapering them slightly, a slightly larger TR hole works great, however most of you will not have one laying around, so I tried this, use the tapered hole the cone washers go into, as seen in the picture, use a brass drift and tap the bushing until in will start into the TR hole.

Butch
mvc-003s.jpg
mvc-007s.jpg
mvc-008s.jpg

Last edited:
Clean the hole with emory cloth if it is rusty, so's the bushing will slide in, rust will F' up the bushing, use a little PB blaster or WD 40 ETC, position it in the vise and press until it is flush, if the bushing flattens or mushroom a bit use a file and dress it down.

This is what it should look like when it is done.
[
mvc-010s.jpg
mvc-013s.jpg

Last edited:
PPB allow you to link to pics like that?

All I get is X.

Just post them up here bud.

:beer:

:D :D
Better?

Yep!

...and added to the FAQ!

Poser said:
Yep!

...and added to the FAQ!

I did not realize the FAQ were your deal, nice work, now delete all the TR links but this one ......... and cyber slap the next idiot that can't do it.:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Butch

I will gladly take the idiot cap today if it means I can work on my Cruiser tomorrow. Thanks for the help and info Texican!

At Autozone; Wells Part # 4200B. $1.99 ea

Yep, do what texican says. you will ruin at least one. Or , I did.

Are 60 series arms the same as minis ? Will this trick work when useing 60 knuckles and arms on a 40?

Are 60 series arms the same as minis ? Will this trick work when useing 60 knuckles and arms on a 40?

This is what he was doing. Using either minitruck or 60 knuckles. The hole in the steering arm is bigger than the 40 tirerod. You push the bushing in to take up the room so the 40 tierod fits tightly into the 60/mini steering arm.

I'm guessing that a 60 TRE will not fit into a 40 tie rod.

Starter bushing for conversion seems too big

I am about to do this using the SB0 bushing recommended on this post. However, i put the busing over the tie rod end to see what the fit might be like. Basically, the bushing is a hair too big and once i put this in the steering arm. I dont feel like this will take up the space necessary to do the job right. I also bought the AutoZone ones listed and they are identical to the other ones.

I will give it a try but I dont think this is a good option even though its listed in the FAQ's. Here are some pictures.... Yes, I know the tie rod end is tapered bt even at the base of the rod, it still wobbles.
photo(3).jpg
photo(4).jpg
photo(5).jpg

When you press the bushing into the arm it takes up the slop. It fit fine and never had a problem with it after many miles. It fit nice and snug once in the steering arm. Try it. Worst case scenaro you ruined a $2 bushing.

Thanks, Man. I appreciate it. I am going to do this today. Do you recommend removing the arm? or just put it on with a C-clamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom