Stock Distributor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to replace the cap and rotor, and I want to make sure I order the right stuff. A po made some mods to the ignition system, so I want to be certain that he didn't put in a later year distributor. (I know, the 2F FSM is ordered and on its way.)

Here are the pics.

distributor27uq.jpg

distributor8ge.jpg

distributor35nt.jpg

To me, it looks like the stock '75 dizzy shown below, just want to be sure.

sordist8fp.gif

And here's the coil and crane cams fireball.

coilandfireball7op.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Felix

looks like it has been converted to an electronic distributor using a crane cams set up.

There should be a part number on the distributor. With that you can get more information.

looks like a pre 75 distributor to me, based on the clips, the vacuum adv. canister and the octane adjust knob. Order a cap and rotor for a 74 and you should be fine.

That sorta looks like a '68ish vac-advance...
Does it have the little octane adjuster?
2005_0106_200817.JPG

I don't know why I didn't think to look for a part number or even move the plug wires out of the way before taking the pics. :doh:

Yeah, the vacuum adv canister does look like the more narrow kind on the 58-73 (according to SOR) dizzy. And I'm pretty sure it's got the octane adjuster.

But why would someone upgrade to an electronic ignition but use an older dizzy? Craziness or is there a benefit?

Would this also explain why the new oem spark plug wires I just put on don't seem to seat well onto the cap? Is there a difference between the connectors on the early 70s and mid 70s caps?

Felix said:
But why would someone upgrade to an electronic ignition but use an older dizzy? Craziness or is there a benefit?

Just to upgrade the one they had without replacing it. IOW to eliminate those pesky points that can cause it to cut out when wet.

Looks like the one I had on my 73 F which I converted to electronic. Mine had the knob as well, but I don't know if it was the stock for the F or what. Not much help...

I ran home for lunch for another look, and it's definately a pre-74 distributor. The cap looks aftermarket. The only numbers on it are "579."

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Felix

Some of the older distributors are vac advance, later ones were retard and later yet were both. If you have a ported vac on your carb, that is a great setup. Maybe 65SWB45(Mark) will chime in here, but I think that is one of his favorite upgrades.

Ed
Carbidle 019.jpg

SOR lists no difference in distributors from 58 to 73, but according to Jim C's link above, 62-69 were vac. retard and 69-73 were vac. advance.

Here's a better pic.

dizzy25pt.jpg

petescoffee said:
looks like it has been converted to an electronic distributor using a crane cams set up.

There should be a part number on the distributor. With that you can get more information.

Pete I see a condenser and points in one picture....:confused:

Ed

EDIT: Nevermind, that was Pighead's pic, I see what you are talking about, and I think that is a great setup, IF he has a ported vacuum on the carb. I, being so smart hooked up my HEI to the full manifold vacuum and was REAL HAPPY with the way it ran. The only advance I got was centrifugal.

And Felix, get rid of that Fram filter!

For
Really
Amateur
Mechanics

Seriously, there are about two sheets of cheap paper towels in there.:D

Ed

Felix,
The distributor is an E-1967, vac advance.
Somebody has jammed a pipe elbow barb into it for the vacuum fitting.
And it is missing the dust cap on the adjust knob.
Pighead's pic shows the clear cap on the adjuster.

HTH

I've got a an early dizzy but the shaft bushing is worn (shaft wiggles). Anyone ever replace the bushing? My machine shop owes me a favor, so I could use their press and reamer...

Felix, to answer your original question, you can order the cap and rotor from the 73 and older cruiser, advance or retard: THEY ARE THE SAME as far as cap and rotor goes.

Good dizzy with so-so upgrade [not fond of the Crane system] :barf: Not saying you should change it tho. ORder a set of points, a condensor, and a points insulator to carry as a backup in your glovebox and run it til it don't run no more.

FWIW, Degnol is right; you'll want to hook the advancer to the port on the inboard [primary] side of your carb at the throttle body.

Good luck.

Mark

Originally posted by Degnol
For
Really
Amateur
Mechanics

I guess there's just no escaping what I am. :D Next time around it will be Toyota.

Originally posted by 65swb45
you'll want to hook the advancer to the port on the inboard [primary] side of your carb at the throttle body.

Further proving the above acronym, that would be port "A" in this pic, not "B" right?
Carb Vac port.jpg

"C" None of the above!
Re-read 65swb45s post..."inboard [primary] side of your carb at the throttle body."
You're looking at the (secondary) outboard side of the throttle body.
Also, when you get a real Toyota oil filter, get the new little filter. Allows the distributor to be correctly positioned without the vac advance housing bumping into the filter.

Felix said:
<snip>
Further proving the above acronym, that would be port "A" in this pic, not "B" right?

P.S. What carburator is that?

Pighead, it's a Carter AFB 4 bbl. The two outside barrels (closest to the fender) are the primaries. The inner barrels are the secondaries. At least I'm pretty sure.

This is all great info, everyone. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom