Builds 3 days and 3300 miles later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great Matt

Matt's spring pins wouldn't be a viable trail fix unless you carried a lathe with you:D

I broke all the stock ones and one of the metric grade 8.8 because the u-bolts I bought were stretching. Either I torqued them too tight or the metal was low quality.

Matt's spring pins wouldn't be a viable trail fix unless you carried a lathe with you:D

Why could you not have them turned down and ready to go, just riding in the pocket Mike?

:beer:

Got a couple hours on the lpb tonight, all painting.

Front springs, shackles, U bolts and new steering stabilizer showed up today. My experience with springs is the same as shocks, in a couple years they look like sh-t....because of the cheap paint that is on them. So when I got home I busted out the DA and went over them with 80 grit. Went over all sides of the springs, even went over those new OME springs for the lv.

Hung everything up and sprayed a couple coats of DP90LF, let that dry for an hour and sprayed a couple coats of single stage ureathane. Also sprayed a few other parts at the same time, motor mounts, tie rod ends.....

So, hoping to get some time tomorrow and start throwing some of this stuff back together.

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG

Odd:

Spring-time in Minnesota is usually NOT October...........;)

Got about 7 hours today on the lpb, pretty much assembling stuff.

Neighbor came over and gave me a hand for a while. It was a nice day so we hauled the frame outside. Installed the leaf springs and shackles first. I had blasted and painted those axles a couple months, had them covered in plastic. Hauled those out and got them installed on the springs. Got all new U bolts, got those installed. Threw on 3 new tires and the spare. Installed the boots on the shocks, I had blasted and painted the shock washers a few days ago....installed those washers and the shocks.

I had plans on moving the chassis into the garage and wanted to be able to turn it. So got the 2 tie rod ends that connect between the wheels and the rod. Slathered them up with some anti seize and threaded them in and put it on.

After I got the chassis in the garage I tossed the the cab on there. Also got out those new OEM fenders I got from Cruiserdan earlier in the week......oooohhhh those fit nice!! Going to bolt up the cab, fenders and front clip....just want to make sure everything fits perfect. Still have to blow apart the front clip, but that shouldn't take to long. Then fit the front bib, aprons and hood up before I take it apart for paint.

Quick question: There are 2 heights of body mounts on a FJ40.....one of those thickness's was used on the front mounts on the FJ45lpb cab. My question is, what thickness was used, the thinner one or thicker one? I remember taking them off, but it was with the gas axe and it came out in pieces??? If anyone could let me know that would be great.

Thanks, Matt
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG

more
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG

more 2
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG

more 3
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG

more 4
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG

last 1
MVC-029S.JPG

You should save the patches from the old fenders...............:hillbilly:

Got about a lazy 5 hours on the lpb today, mostly sheet metal test fitting.

Pics pretty much say it all. Blew apart the front clip, obviously will be needing the side aprons and front bib.....the old fenders were beyond junk. I wanted to make sure my front sheet metal all bolts up nice and neat since I'm dealing with a new frame and new fenders. Started off by bolting the cab down, figured out the right size front mount...it was the tall one.

Everything went amazingly well....everything bolted up without any hassle or major muscling around. Just spent a few hours and got everything lined up and bolted down. Set the hood on to make sure my front clip was square with the world...it was. This will be the last time the sheet metal is on the frame until it goes on after it's jammed. Everything fit real nice so I see no issues at this point.

Also tore into my motor. Pulled off the parts that I want to blast and paint, mostly aircleaner, valve cover and oil pan. Few other misc. brackets, but should be about an hour job to get all that blasted then another hour to get it all painted.

I have to replace the rear main seal since it had a small leak. Never done that before so not sure how long that is going to take? I was really hoping if everything went well this week and I got all the motor stuff done...I could drop it in next weekend and move back to the cab.....well see.

Matt
MVC-141S.JPG
MVC-142S.JPG
MVC-143S.JPG

more
MVC-144S.JPG
MVC-145S.JPG
MVC-146S.JPG

last 3
MVC-147S.JPG
MVC-148S.JPG
MVC-149S.JPG

Matt , you are so fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

What is your tire size ?

Thnx ...Marc...

I wouldn't say fast, just persistent :)

Tire size is 255/85 R16

Matt

au contraire, those tires look really cool. i like the skinny-tall look. great work!

Something seems wrong with that bezel, but I just can't seem to put my finger on it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom