'Nuther FJ45LV resto thread, '67 Central American model! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Matt's is not the only FJ45LV restoration/buildup going on right now! I picked up my '67 FJ45LV in Guatemala City last March with the intention of using it as the autoshop project here at the school that I teach at in Guatemala City.
This truck was originally sold in the Central American market as evidenced by the km/hr speedo and various intecracies that I'm finding all the time as I see Matt's buildup.
Anyways, here's the truck as I found it when I responded to an advertisment in the local rag. I was expecting an early FJ55 but was plesantly surprised!
fj45lv1.JPG
fj45lv2.JPG
fj45lv3.JPG

As one might imagine if you know anything about how vehicles are maintained in Central America, this truck has not had an easy life! Here's a few photos of what we found during the teardown and inspection.
They seem to like the smallest air filter possible, if there even is one!
You can also see that there is no need to use 4 bolts on the drive shaft if 2 will keep it there.
airfilt.JPG
airfilter.JPG
pbrake.JPG

Here's the non-USA "opera lights" rather than the dome light found in U.S. trucks.
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG

Nice rig. I remember the excitement when you picked it up! What are your plans for it? The engine looks like it was rebuilt, but thats coming from a rookie. The body on this beast look to be in great condition!

so is your blinker assembly... nice!

Have you figured out what the bumper is off of?

Mikesta said:
Nice rig. I remember the excitement when you picked it up! What are your plans for it? The engine looks like it was rebuilt, but thats coming from a rookie. The body on this beast look to be in great condition!

so is your blinker assembly... nice!

Have you figured out what the bumper is off of?

The truck is in progress as we speak. I'll be adding pictures as I have time but the plan is a diesel swap to a 3B-II diesel which I picked up last week and an H41 granny tranny and 3 speed transfer which I hope to mate to the engine tomorrow! A turbo is also planned and possibly an intercooler if I can locate one in my travels.
The body is not too bad, there are issues along the rain gutter and the rear windows for sure and I expect to find other issues when I start the body in ernest in a few weeks. It's been skim coated with bondo which is a common practice here in Central America.
The engine as been rebuilt several times and the bearings are already max undersized and the pistons are nearly max over so this engine is NOT going back in. I've had the kids "plastigauge" the bearing clearances and they are all 1.5 times maximum already too.
I've since located the correct blinker assembly (two just in case one doesn't work).
I've got NO idea what the bumper is from but I can say it ain't going back on (unless someone can show me it's stock which I am 99.9% sure is NOT the case).

That looks like a great Cruiser to start a restore on. You're fluent in spanish I guess, yo tambien. I bet it would be really hard to source all of those parts if you didnt

cabron said:
That looks like a great Cruiser to start a restore on. You're fluent in spanish I guess, yo tambien. I bet it would be really hard to source all of those parts if you didnt

Yo no habla mucho espanol.

Anyways, now that I probably butchered the spanish language here are some more pictures of the FJ45LV. This was in August in one of the first shop classes as we started to tear into the truck. It was shortly after this that we found out just how poor the maintenance and repair is although at this point I already knew that 99% of the seals were leaking and I don't mean just a little!
My facilities are not as deluxe as Matt's but when you got lemons you make lemonade!
IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG
IMG_5366.JPG

I will tag along here just like your other threads. As always I love to see what you are doing for the kids and the cruisers!!

So are you going to strip/paint the frame? I cant believe you do as well as you do for not speaking much spanish. That's a feat in and of itself

cabron said:
So are you going to strip/paint the frame? I cant believe you do as well as you do for not speaking much spanish. That's a feat in and of itself

Frame is already stripped and painted and the front disc swap is done axles are back under the truck. Engine will be going in in a month when I get back from Canada. There are pictures of all this and I will post when I have more time. Hey, I even visit the "Yonkers" on my own (I think they have a good laugh at my expense each time though due to my meager knowledge of spanish, especially the verbs).

Here's the axle with the mini-truck disc conversion completed. We got both axles cleaned up and the seals changed prior to mounting under the frame.
IMG_5681.JPG

cruiser_guy said:
Here's the axle with the mini-truck disc conversion completed. We got both axles cleaned up and the seals changed prior to mounting under the frame.

did you have the diff with the claw in it? Did you remove/replace or keep it?

Here's the axles going under the truck back in October. (There's a set of better springs sitting in the back of my buddies truck in San Diego that we will install , along with new "U" bolts and plates, once the truck makes it here in a month or so).
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG

Mikesta said:
did you have the diff with the claw in it? Did you remove/replace or keep it?

I have the "ball and claw" axles here still, do you want them? I had the housing machined to take a standard seal (machining here is cheap) and then used the mini truck stuff with 'Cruiser inner axles. The steering arms have also been reworked to take the standard tie rod ends. It required swapping out the pinion gears too from the coarse to fine spline.

While we were waiting on parts and time to go find parts we fixed other areas of the truck.
Here's the original steering box being repaired and adjusted. When we tore into it the box was full of grease and all the shims were in the bottom of the box being destroyed by the worm gear. The play in the box is about 1-2" maximum.
IMG_5972.JPG

Here's the H41, YES H41 granny gear tranny not the USA spec. H42, tranny getting new bearings etc. I found all the required parts to get it into working condition behind a 3B diesel. It will have the old 3 speed transfer case behind it for low crawl ratio, not that I'm planning to wheel this hard after it's complete though. I'm working to keep it as "stock" Toyota as possible but not necessarily as it rolled off the line.
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG

Here's mating the tranny and transfer case! Both with all new bearings, gaskets and seals
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

Here's the 3BII that's going into the FJ45LV! It must have come out of a Dyna truck or Coaster bus because it's mated to a two wheel drive tranny with a drive line brake!
IMG_0445.JPG

cruiser_guy said:
I have the "ball and claw" axles here still, do you want them? I had the housing machined to take a standard seal (machining here is cheap) and then used the mini truck stuff with 'Cruiser inner axles. The steering arms have also been reworked to take the standard tie rod ends. It required swapping out the pinion gears too from the coarse to fine spline.

Yes, I could use them ball/claw parts :) Let me know what you want and shipping costs.

Nice to see your progressing fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom