Builds 1996 LX450 6.0L LQ9 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RockJock82

Sometimes you have to kick a little A$$
Threads
Yet another 6.0L swap into one of these beasts. Background on the rigs is 200k+ on the body an drivetrain. PO installed a OME lift and some 35's on 80 rims. She is a little rough around the edges but Mike has a set plan on putting her where she needs to be. Motor and transmission will be going in shortly after the first of the year. Motor is a 345hp 2005 6.0L and 4L65e. Stay tuned..... :D

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

image-2524735289.jpg

image-351537642.jpg

image-1400806027.jpg

I believe so!;)

Any plans to try a 6 speed auto trans on one of these future swaps (e.g., 6l80E)? It seems you are getting pretty good at this. Jealous...

Any thoughts on which of these newer generation GM motors has the ideal torque curve for how an 80 would typically be driven (e.g. LS3 vs. L92 vs. LQ9, etc.)?

Thanks.

Any plans to try a 6 speed auto trans on one of these future swaps (e.g., 6l80E)? It seems you are getting pretty good at this. Jealous...

Any thoughts on which of these newer generation GM motors has the ideal torque curve for how an 80 would typically be driven (e.g. LS3 vs. L92 vs. LQ9, etc.)?

Thanks.

Thanks man, I do the everything possible to make sure the best product is produced each time. Funny your bring the 6spd auto up as I was thinking it would be SWEET to do a 6spd auto in my 96 and integrate the IS300 steering wheel for the paddle shift capability. IMHO any of the GM v8 will put a huge smile on anyones face. The next swap will be a 06 LS2 so it will be nice to see the comparison. I am yet to get my hands on an L92 which I'd love to have but they are $$$$ at this time. :cheers:

Last edited:
Well realistic can fall into other categories than 7-10k engines :). If you can be happy with 310-330hp you can have a 5.3L and auto for under 1800

I also tried to buy that LS2 out of the GTO you have as its locate in Tucson but he said it was sold? IDK??

Yeah, an LS2 or LS3 would be very cool.

LS3 with the 6L80 trans would be a nice goal.

Curious that that guy said the LS2 was sold.

Apparently you can get away with 87 octane with that LQ9 with reduced performance (and possibly some knocking), but GM wants you to use 91+. That 10:1 compression...

Yeah, an LS2 or LS3 would be very cool. LS3 with the 6L80 trans would be a nice goal. Curious that that guy said the LS2 was sold. Apparently you can get away with 87 octane with that LQ9 with reduced performance (and possibly some knocking), but GM wants you to use 91+. That 10:1 compression...
Ship me your cruiser and let's slap an LS3 in it :). Mostly ALL new engines require 91+ octane yet to see one that says ok to run 87 octane. I never got any knocking when running 87 but surely noticed a lack in performance... If you really want to get crazy and stay below the 9-10k price you can always add some boost to a 5.3L or 6.0L and be at a streetable 600+hp.

I have been running 85 octane in my L33. It has the 10:1 compression ratio. I did have to pull a little timing from the tune I got from mail order but it seems to do pretty well were I live (denver).

The vortec swap IS the best way to go for anyone wanting to power up. These trucks drive so much better with a real v8 under the hood.

BTW, i love those manifolds. I really need to do a set on mine and dump the shorty headers I installed.

Just wondering if you guys have to deal with any state smog emission testing like we have here in California?
I keep contemplating it since you guys seem to make it more and more seamless each time. Are you guys ditching the emissions and editing the software?

I would like a light tow rig, however I don't need another vehicle. So adding a V8 would be nice. I like the power of the cruiser (4.88's and 315's) except when there is big hills and elevation.

Just wondering if you guys have to deal with any state smog emission testing like we have here in California?
I keep contemplating it since you guys seem to make it more and more seamless each time. Are you guys ditching the emissions and editing the software?

I would like a light tow rig, however I don't need another vehicle. So adding a V8 would be nice. I like the power of the cruiser (4.88's and 315's) except when there is big hills and elevation.

mine is 100% compliant with Air Care Colorado standards, which are the same as CA. It's fully legal. The nice thing about these vortec motors is that they are easy to integrate the emissions over. There's no EGR system, just cats and the EVAP system.

Rockrod is correct a lot of these motors don't come with EGR valves as the emissions is in the tune. For Cali you would probably be just fine with 4 cats and 4 o2 sensors and a functioning evap system (which all my swaps have).

I think that second eBay link above looked promising.,

I think that second eBay link above looked promising.,
My source has 6.0L Lq9 motor and transmissions for 3750 shipped. The LQ4 has cast iron heads and lower hp rating. You will also want the 4l60/65e in the cruiser the 4L80e robs too much power..

My source has 6.0L Lq9 motor and transmissions for 3750 shipped. The LQ4 has cast iron heads and lower hp rating. You will also want the 4l60/65e in the cruiser the 4L80e robs too much power..

Good to know ! I didn't notice the mileage before either... The lq9 extra power should make up for the tranny maybe? thinking of towing capacity mainly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom