Switch Panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
After filling all available switch holes in my dash... :p I decided I needed to build a switch panel. I found the perfect place to locate a 10 inch by 1.5 inch panel - directly below the dash and above the center console. I have the older style dash.

Some build pics... I have zero metal fab skills, so take'r easy on me... I am quite proud of this accomplishment :)

Cut out a piece of steel using a jigsaw, bent it using the metal brake, rounded off corners using a bench grinder, smoothed everything out and now prepping for the drilling...

2012-07-01_16-43-52_309_Victoria.jpg

All painted and drilled, with my new rocker switches installed. Some local electronic shops sell these exact switches for ~$5.00 each plus shipping. I got the same ones off ebay.ca, 10 for $14.00 including shipping :D So I have 3 spare.

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

Next will come the wiring and install... :beer:

That looks nice! You gonna put labels on? Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

I'd say that turned out VERY nice! What in the world are you gonna do with all those switches, and what have you already got in all the dash blanks?!?

That looks great! I'm sure I'll need something like that eventually :)

Thanks guys :)

I think labels are a must, but I need to find a label maker that will make a small enough label.

Lol Ian... my HDJ81 came with nearly all the dash spots filled, example headlight sprayer, fog lights, rear heater, etc... and in the spots that weren't filled I put a switch to turn on/off the main winch relay (oem), as well as an in-cab winch control switch (I used a 4-runner rear window "deadman" switch)

There's 7 rockers in my switch panel, that's what fit comfortably with the space available. Not necessarily in this order:

1 - Ruggedized GPS tablet system power
2 - Relay for rear utility/backup light
3 - Relay for rock lights
4 - Relay for PUMA OBA system (150amp relay in the engine bay, as Puma draws big current)
5 - DRL on/off - I love DRLs, but sometimes I need to shut them off. For example, when wheeling at dusk and someone is spotting you.

I'll leave two blank for now (though wired in) for the next project(s). Likely side flood lights on my flat rack that we're building.

Update...

Got all the switch wiring done on the panel side. Used 16 gauge red and black for power/gnd, and 16 gauge white for "output" to the relays and devices. Well, except for the first switch, I used 14 gauge for that because that one doesn't trigger a relay, the power actually goes through it. (4 amps)

All non-insul crimped and then heat shrunk.

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

asutherland said:
I think labels are a must, but I need to find a label maker that will make a small enough label.

May be worth checking with Jim at OTRATTW. He has a laser etcher and does custom graphics on the new Carling Series. May be able to etch the smaller switches, as well. If not, he could direct to someone that could.

Looks great. Can't wait to see the installation pics.

Good timing!

Finished up this afternoon. :beer:

Make-shift work table...

IMG_1910.JPG

All wires have bullet connectors for easy disconnect when working under the console. The 3 switches that are not being used right now are all wired (the white wiring) but will just be left as is coiled up underneath the console until they're needed.

IMG_1911.JPG

DC-DC stabilizer circuit fits nicely just below the 4 low shifter...

IMG_1915.JPG

Both ends of the bullet connectors are labelled for easy identification...

IMG_1916.JPG

Finished product...

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

Looks really good. Blend in well

Wow! Impressive!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom