My 5th Blackstone report 6800mi on Dino oil! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
I usually change around 4500mi, but forgot to check my notebook and didn't do this change until 6800mi. I usually send in a sample every fall so I sent this one in, worried about the results.

Read their comments! They say I could go to 7500mi on this oil! Awesome! I may try it.

Chevron Delo 15w40, Toyota big filter.

E30121.jpg

15600-41010 :cool:

Nice.

I've been rotating back and forth between Rotella 5w40 syn. for the winter months (one oil change) and the Delo 15w40 for the summer months (2 changes).

I really liked the Delo with the "big" filter and the Rotella with the "small" 90915-20004 filter.

Nice.

I've been rotating back and forth between Rotella 5w40 syn. for the winter months (one oil change) and the Delo 15w40 for the summer months (2 changes).

I really liked the Delo with the "big" filter and the Rotella with the "small" 90915-20004 filter.

I've been running the same Rotella year round with the small filter and good results. I have been tempted to switch over to the Delo because I have heard good things about it and Costco has a price on it. I'll have to remember to order a big filter from you if I decide to switch over to the delo in the summer.

I'll have to remember to order a big filter from you if I decide to switch over to the delo in the summer.

I only switch oils because of the heat in the SW. If I wasn't in the SW, I would run synthetic Rotella year round with the small OEM filter.

I like the heavier weight oil with the bigger sumping -41010 filter for the summer months (which is when I use my rig the most in extreme conditions).

I run the Delo all year long in Tucson. IIRC Tucson is hotter than ABQ in the summer and winter.

IIRC Tucson is hotter than ABQ in the summer and winter.

Indeed it is. We get definite "winter-like" conditions in ABQ during the thick of winter. Not Ohio winter, but definite winter conditions especially considering I use the truck a lot in the mountains surrounding ABQ (10K+ feet).

I've read/heard great things about the Delo; however, would it be good for my application: short trips every day to and from the train station (<5 miles). The tank is parked outside everyday. Don't think it ever gets a chance to warm up to operating temps before it's shut down again. Worried that the 15w would take longer to circulate because it's thicker and more wear & tear during start ups.

Oh and it's going to be winter soon. It doesn't snow out here in CA but it'll get pretty chilly/frosty in the mornings. I'm currently running 5w-30 Chevron Supreme oil. Engine is 3FE from a 92. Should I switch over to Delo?

btw, great to know the Delo would last 7500 miles. That for a dino oil at a discounted price at Costco seems unbeatable to me. Thanks for the post!

I'm running Delo year round. Good stuff. I'll live with a bit lower mileage (maybe) in the winter considering the good protection in desert summer. I change it at 5000 and use the super duper filter... :)

Nice.

Why would you choose conventional oil for the summer? Synthetic oils shine in the high temps.

I saw a marked difference in pulling power using the delo, and have since switched to the Mobil clean 5000 (10W 30) . 5000 mile oil changes and it is cheaper than the delo..

I've read/heard great things about the Delo; however, would it be good for my application: short trips every day to and from the train station (<5 miles). The tank is parked outside everyday. Don't think it ever gets a chance to warm up to operating temps before it's shut down again. Worried that the 15w would take longer to circulate because it's thicker and more wear & tear during start ups.

Oh and it's going to be winter soon. It doesn't snow out here in CA but it'll get pretty chilly/frosty in the mornings. I'm currently running 5w-30 Chevron Supreme oil. Engine is 3FE from a 92. Should I switch over to Delo?

btw, great to know the Delo would last 7500 miles. That for a dino oil at a discounted price at Costco seems unbeatable to me. Thanks for the post!

IMO you should send in some samples and get them analyzed. You may have no need to change. I switched to Delo years ago because I didn't want to spend the $$ anymore on the Mobil 1. Simple. Then I started sending in samples and my results have all been very positive. From what I've recall, the Chevron Supreme is also good oil.

I am using Mobile-1 15-50 year around including NE Winters with the big filter. I change oil twice a year. spring and fall regardless of miles.

It will be interesting to do oil analysis when I get to the 500,000 miles mark. :)

I only switch oils because of the heat in the SW. If I wasn't in the SW, I would run synthetic Rotella year round with the small OEM filter.

I like the heavier weight oil with the bigger sumping -41010 filter for the summer months (which is when I use my rig the most in extreme conditions).

Thanks for the clarification Onur. I'll guess I'll keep using the Rotella unless I end up in NM, TX, or AZ for the next 4 years.

I drove with a smile on my face today. I believe I will push 6500 to 7000 from now on. At $10-$12 a gallon with a 7k change, thats pretty good on the wallet.

interesting to see the big jump in Moly and others after Nov 07. Probably when -I assume- you switched to the LE version?

It looks to me like the Moly dropped, Calcium dropped, and the Boron increased after 11/07. Was there an oil switch back then?

IIRC, thats when the LE formula came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom