Builds 2UZFE swap into FJ80 - building - in progress (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 91 FJ80 last night with a broken motor. Turns out the crankshaft broke between #1 and #2.

I decided to drop in the 2UZFE VVTi v8 motor with stock auto transmission.

Here is my progress

I project 2 months to completion since my time out in the garage is limited

Day 1: - pull motor
Lets just say, the 3F motor is one of the harder engines to pull. I would hate to put this heavy hunk of iron back in. It would have made things a bit easier if Toyota would have made a two piece fan shroud! Took me about 3 1/2 hours to get the thing out of there, and by my standard, that was way too long. I did spend a bit of timing removing components I won't be needing anymore.

front2.jpg

old_motor.jpg

motor_out.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome- keep us updated. What's going on with your doors? Looks like they have something like the LX cladding at the bottom.....

Yes, it will have A/C. There are a lot of EXTRA crap that is used for the 3F motor. The 2UZ is a bit more self contained. Only external sensors are the MAF, and sub-OX sensors.

Not sure what is up with the molding. One piece is gone though, I will need to replace it.

Yeah, 4runner in the background is my bros. SAS conversion right now as well as a 1UZ V8 going in. He hopes to have it done by Moab....ain't going to happen.

Very interesting...Can you post up a parts list as you go along? Also details on your engine mount fab would be great.

This exactly what I would like to do eventually. Where did you get the tranny, what is it out of? What kind of adapter issues are there? Sweet build!!

Subscribing.

Have you checked carter clearance space?

A friend is having a bit of trouble fitting same engine into a FJ62, had to cut the firewall to put the engine behind the front axle. Relocated engine mounts, gearbox/tranny moved back also. Custom lenght driveshaft, etc.

Watch for full PS compresion clearance and double check if there's any space left for the alloy carter.

I am not sure how the oil pickups are, but you might be able to fit a LS400 or SC400 oil pan on.

The mating surface of the engine/bellhousing will be forward about 4" so no need for modifying firewall. The R150F is about 4-5" longer from bellhousing to shifter so the engine came come foward that amount.

R150F is out of 3.0V6 4runners/trucks. I make custom bellhousings and flywheels for the manual conversion behind the toyota/lexus V8.s

I am located in Orem, Utah.

Hi, we are doing the same swap, but to a FJ62... the problem we found is that the 2uz always comes in Trucks that doesent have front solid axles (Ejes, in spanish)

we are cuting the fire wall and puting the engine half out half inside the cabin...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...ject-paulina-reloaded-ii-photos-n-videos.html

I hope thet thread can help you

The 2UZFE does fit in a 60 body without any cutting. You have to use a Land Cruiser oil pan and not a Tundra oil pan. Then it clears the diff.

fj60_uzj.jpg

Not sure if this is hijacking the thread... but guess all this info helps SuperRunner.

Christo, do you have more detailed pics?

This Tundra engine has a front oil collector then the oil pan is lower in the front, do LC's have a rear one?

Not sure if this is hijacking the thread... but guess all this info helps SuperRunner.

Christo, do you have more detailed pics?

This Tundra engine has a front oil collector then the oil pan is lower in the front, do LC's have a rear one?

Yes, you change the 2nd and 1st oil pans as well as the oil pickup. Also change the Tundra filter housing to a Land Cruiser one.

The 2UZFE does fit in a 60 body without any cutting. You have to use a Land Cruiser oil pan and not a Tundra oil pan. Then it clears the diff.

fj60_uzj.jpg

WOW!!! cool photo, we are puting the engine from the back of the front axle, also to have a better performance at the race...

you have more photos of that truck, but from the buttom part?

that is where it gets tricky. Due to the offset rear, there could be a problem with that.

That is one part of the swap I have yet to figure out.

Does the stock TC not bolt up to the R150F? I thought there were adapters for that... :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom