Touch of Gray bumper install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfz80

Cruisin’
Threads
Touch of Gray bumper install (IPOR / ARB)

So contrary to the poll results i went w/ a gray powdercoat on the bumpers i was just so nice as to buy myself last week. It was not at all what i imagined or had intended but im not displeased at all. I was going for the stock bumperette color or darker, he said it was almost a black, but while i disagree im still diggin it on the 80 after worrying about how it would turn out.

The color (steel gray, 2%blue,25%metalic,80%gloss)
The donor
The product (as you lose natural light it becomes more flat in appearance)
bumperday 005 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 007 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 038 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
ARB w/ warn 9000

SO i used the warn 9K i had in the tacoma which has become a work truck since i bought the 80. I think its plenty and esp. w/ a snatch block. I did have similar issues to ConcreteJungle fitting his 12k into the ARB. I had to clock the control end but more frustrating was having to space the winch off the inside of the ARB bar w/ washers (soon to be pipe and new longer bolts).
bumperday 010 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 042 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 009 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Last edited:
IPOR rear bumper w/ swingout

So for the rear i chose the Iron Pig bumper. Mostly cause they are local(ish) and ive bought a lot of stuff from them before and always been pleased w/ the product and service. There are other designs out there i like but for a lot of bumper for the buck this thing rocks!!

Prepped and waiting :bounce:
Marked and cut hole for draw tube in stock crossmember
Viola.... slides right on (i still need to drill and add 4 ctr bolts in these pics)
bumperday 001 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 004 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 008 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
swingout install for IPOR rear bumper

And some shots of the tire carrier. Install went smoothly , erh that is after i removed the 4 coats of powder so the bushes would fit :whoops:. They were very thorough and reasonable for the powdercoat process; event hit each w/ white first to show off the metalic and make sure they matched ( sprayed over black arb vs raw steel from IPOR).

Having the right tools makes all the difference ( or knowing a guy that does ;))
Spindle sanded to bare metal, primed w/ clear primer (rust stop)
Prepping in here too!!! man those were tight tolerances
bumperday 012 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 013 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 015 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
and some of the installed swingarm too... sans tire/wheel
bumperday 016 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 017 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 018 (Medium).jpg

spare tire mounted
bumperday 019 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 020 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 023 (Medium).jpg

random shots of the bumper

Cut out/through for draw tube
section view of bumper/crossmember/drawbar
side wings from underneath
bumperday 029 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 030 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 033 (Medium).jpg

and the last ones, i promise......for now :)

rear perspective
side shot
parting shot, winch waits til tomorrow :( found it was backwards/upside down:rolleyes:
bumperday 024 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 026 (Medium).jpg
bumperday 045 (Medium).jpg

That color looks awesome, much better than black with your color rig.
What happened to your sequoia wheels? With their backspacing they'd sit closer to the tailgate right?

Is your 80 Moonglow or Antique Sage? How close are the bumpers to matching your body paint?

Regardless, it looks awesome. Your ARB front looks close to the color of mine, but mine was done with a rattle can and it shows.

That color looks awesome, much better than black with your color rig.
What happened to your sequoia wheels? With their backspacing they'd sit closer to the tailgate right?
Thanks-- still got the sequoia wheels, just a pain to keep swapping and the knobbies look so good anyways, they might be up for grabs w/ less than 800 miles on them. They would sit about a 1/2'' to 1'' closer to the gate, mounted on the swingarm.

Is your 80 Moonglow or Antique Sage? How close are the bumpers to matching your body paint?

Regardless, it looks awesome. Your ARB front looks close to the color of mine, but mine was done with a rattle can and it shows.
Its a moonglow pearl. The bumpers are a surprisingly close match, ill have to get some daylight shots. I did not want to try to match them per se but rather compliment the base w/ a dark charcoal. I was scared when i first saw them thinking they were way to light, now i really like em. Same price to coat one or two bumpers made the decision even easier :)

That looks great...

Pretty sick, dont see many people doing the matching color bumpers. I like the rear bumper!

We tend to be lemmings when it comes to styling but sometimes you never know how "different" will look until you try it. That, clearly looks great.

That looks really, really good. Giving me ideas here ; )

A word of advice regarding your plans to use pipe for the winch standoffs/spacers. Anything like a pipe ring or washer puts all the stress under load at those precise mounting locations and your bumper face could bend and distort under the load. The recommended spacers from ARB are two vertically mounted pieces of strap or bar, 1" wide by 6" long, approx. 3/8" thick. This will stand the winch off and spread the stress under pull across a much wider area.

Looks great J, Im glad you didnt listen to me when I was trying to talk you into painting them black.

Thanks for the tip Jim :) CJ your bumpers farked :flipoff2:

A word of advice regarding your plans to use pipe for the winch standoffs/spacers. Anything like a pipe ring or washer puts all the stress under load at those precise mounting locations and your bumper face could bend and distort under the load. The recommended spacers from ARB are two vertically mounted pieces of strap or bar, 1" wide by 6" long, approx. 3/8" thick. This will stand the winch off and spread the stress under pull across a much wider area.

need to relocate and illuminate the plate before callin it done

Last edited:
color looks great -

I'd only make one change to the bumper, cause your reciever supports look not so clean.... I'd have used plate rather than rod or tube that you used. And of course the previous suggestion about using a plate rather than washers or tube was 100% spot on too.
reciever.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom