Hood Blackout decal? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Yes, I've searched. no luck. On a couple Rover boards I was able to track down a decal from Vigg Designs for a blackout hood, and I know I could go custom with it.

But does anyone know of any other sources for a vinyl decal for a hood blackout for an 80 Series? I've painted the hood on both my minitrucks, but I'd rather just use a decal this time on the 80 if i can find one.

Any suggestions, pics?

I called Vigg. He's going to get back to me later this afternoon.

I called Vigg too, and I'm going to try to get him some measurements and pics tonight. Sounds like a decent price. He quoted me $40-50 for the vinyl and around $15 shipping from NJ. Doesn't sound too bad.

The ones I've seen from them on Land Rovers look pretty good.

What's a blackout decal? Simply a black decal for white trucks so that you don't suffer from glare in your eyes? Or maybe such a cool decal that makes you blackout when you see it?

If it's the first thing then there are companies who make ads/boards and they use vinyl to cut letters out of it. Such vinyl comes in large sheets and is cheap.

I called Vigg too, and I'm going to try to get him some measurements and pics tonight. Sounds like a decent price. He quoted me $40-50 for the vinyl and around $15 shipping from NJ. Doesn't sound too bad.

The ones I've seen from them on Land Rovers look pretty good.

They told me that if someone comes in and let's them use thier truck for the template for about an hour, they would get a hood blackout for thier trouble.

Is anyone in NJ willing to step up? Vigg is in Freehold NJ. He said it is pretty much right in the middle o the state.

What would be really cool is if we could get an emblem sized "Sombrero" Toyota logo or "Land Cruiser" cut on the leading edge of the decal.......

I'm going to try to get some decent measurement tonight that I can send them. Personally I don't think I want mine to go as far forward on the hood as most people so I will give them a couple different measurement options.

I'll be taking some pics to send along with the measurements and I'll post them here so you can see what I'm thinking.

I looked for some rolls of vinyl so I could just make my own but I could only find rolls 14" wide and pretty much as long as you wanted. I don't want to try to peice together a few 14" wide stripes across the hood so the search continues.

A guy in our local club here had one of those Vigg decals on his white Xterra and it's quality stuff. Works great too for the lights on top.

Keep us posted...I'm going to be mounting some Hellas up on the rack and could use that type of product if he can make it. I was thinking of Herc'ing it, but like you...I want something that I can take off if I wanted to/needed to.

..I'm going to be mounting some Hellas up on the rack and could use that type of product if he can make it.

Then go to NJ and let them develop one on your truck.

Believe it or not, it's not that close to Virginia ;)

It would be about a 6 hour trip to get there from here each way...and for a free piece of vinyl, the gas cost far outweighs the free product benefit....I'm sure we've got plenty of Mud people in NJ that could stop by easier than I could ;) .

I have a friend with a graphics company. I am waiting to hear back from him.. if he has time, (i know he is busy) he could measure my truck and give you a price. I will let you guys know as soon as I hear from him..

Why not trace it out with some craft paper and send it to him?

Karl

I didn't get any time last night to get the necessary pics/measurements to send to Vigg. So I'll try to get that stuff tonight and send it to them. Sending them some sort of template is a good idea. I may see about that if I can figure out a good way to do it.

For the rest of us, what is a "Hood Blackout Decal"?

Um.... It's a matt-black piece of adhesive that covers the hood, or part of the hood. It cuts down on the reflection of having a 5' x 5' piece of polished metal in your field of vision.

Think of it as the Land Cruiser variant of the black-out football players put under each eye.

I've also seen custom ones, such as maps of where you're wheeling, for quick reference. Paris/Dakkar trucks do that.

Particularly on lighter colored trucks it is common to get glare from the hood, and as a solution you can paint the center section (most visible portion) of the hood flat or matte black to cut down on the glare. Some people do it just because they like the look too.

This decal would be a vinyl peice in matte black rather than something as permanent as painting the hood.

This is just a photoshop, but this is what I'm thinking on my truck. Some people take it farther down the front of the hood.

hood_test.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom