Rig of the Bi-Week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. This is my Rig of the Bi-Week post for my 1985 Toyota 4Runner SR5.

I bought the truck in January of 2005. When I got it, it already had a 2" NWOR spring lift, Marlin Crawler 4.70 case gears in the single t-case, an All Pro Tcase crossmember, an unknown rear limited slip, custom front and rear bumpers and 32" all terrains on 15x8 white steelies.

DSCN0021.jpg

final.jpg

After about a year I had found my boundaries. It did excellent but the tire size was really limiting me. I had been researching for a while so I figured out how I was going to build it and started stock piling parts.

Here is the basic plan (it has been reworked and modified several times but this is what i finally came out with):

Engine/Tranny:

D.O.A Racing Built 22RE
K&N Air filter
Downey Header
Flowmaster muffler
Optima Red Top
22RTE 3 Core Radiator
W56 Transmission

Transfercases:

Stock 21 spline front transfercase
4.70 Geared 21 spline rear transfercase
Marlin Crawler Dual Cases Adapter
Custom Front and Rear drivelines
Budbuilt Dual T-case crossmember

Suspension:

2" 4x4 Labs drop box, moved 1.5" forward
Jeep Wagoneer front leaf springs w/ 6" shackle (u bolt flip)
5125 12" travel Bilsteins

63" Chevy rear springs w/ add-a-leaf, stock chevy shackle, 6" toy shackle (dual shackle, u bolt flip)
5125 14" travel Bilsteins

Axles:

Front 1985 Toyota mini truck solid axle
5.29 R&P (Open)
Axle breather
FJ60 Rotors
IFS calipers/pads
V6 Master cylinder
Stainless steel brake lines

Rear 1989 V6
5.29 R&P Aussie Locker
Axle breather
Stainless steel brake lines

Steering:

1993 IFS Power steering box
Marlin Crawler Crossover Steering (FJ80 tie rod ends)
Full front frame plates

Armor:

Custom front bumper w/ Warn Winch
Marlin Crawler DOM rock sliders
Marlin Crawler rear DOM bumper

Rubber n Steel:

35x12.50 Cooper Discoverers
15x10 black steelies

Getting built:

Picture045.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture052.jpg

halfdone.jpg

consoleforcases.jpg

More or Less Finished:

ghwheelin9.jpg

4RNR3.jpg

blurplate.jpg

nickonrocks.jpg

img2812rk0-1.jpg

groupshot.jpg

Here is my Crawl Mag blurb...they fxxxed up my axle info though :(

mycrawlmagblurb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! It has taken what seems like forever to get the truck where I want it but I am really happy with how it has turned out. I had originally planned to keep it at 35s but I am going to go 37s when my coopers burn up. Probably going with either MTRs, or BFG (original style) mud terrains. IMO 4runners look like they were meant to have at least 35s, just looks natural :)

Great looking truck, and obviously seriously capable.

These trucks do look natural with 35s. Funny thing is, they also look natural with stock 28" skinnies.

That's why the 1st gen 4Runners are one of my all time favorite 4x4s. Whatever you want it to look like and do, it'll look like and do. Not like lots of other trucks that only really work out one way. Those Japanese engineers were thinking pretty broadly back in the 80s.

Great looking truck, and obviously seriously capable.

These trucks do look natural with 35s. Funny thing is, they also look natural with stock 28" skinnies.

That's why the 1st gen 4Runners are one of my all time favorite 4x4s. Whatever you want it to look like and do, it'll look like and do. Not like lots of other trucks that only really work out one way. Those Japanese engineers were thinking pretty broadly back in the 80s.

I agree but I think most toyotas up until the first gen 4runner were like that. I like 60s and 40s with any size tire, same with first gen pick ups ect. always pull off the "natural" look... but yeah, the old engineers should have stuck around because toyotas are getting pretty hideous of late :(

Agreed! That truck is a beauty. Looks like Paradise, High Lakes? I used to live in Chico.

great rig man, nice pics too

Where abouts are you from in NorCal? Grass Valley area? You ever run Deer Valley, or anything over here in Amador County?

Dylan

I live in Nevada City (Right next to GV). I have heard of Deer Valley but never been there. If you go on a run let me know. Always down to check out new areas. Planning on hitting Fordyce and Rubicon mostly this summer (havnt been to either yet) but anywhere I havnt been is cool with me!

Little carnage update....on the way home the morning after a St. Patty Day party I blew a bearing in my rear transfercase. Luckily I was only going about 15 mph because when it went, all 4 wheels locked up. I had to screw with the gears in both cases to get off the road. I had just driven about 20 minutes on the freeway too doing 65 mph....REALLY glad it happened when I finally got off the freeway. I had a friend who blew one going 70 mph and its a miracle he is still with us today...locking up all 4 tires going that fast would not be fun!! :eek:

Here she is on the flatbed headed to my buddy's shop....

noname-3.jpg

Update

Yeah, my friend helped me get the tcases rebuilt. I am currently in the market for a new set of rubber... hopefully some 37s if I can find a good deal. Also need to get an aussie locker and rebuild my front axle to prepare for the wheeling season.

I did take the top off for the first time in 2-3 years, love cruising with it off I am just nervous about people jacking my stuff, otherwise I would leave it off all summer. Thats about it for updates, getting ready to hit Fordyce at the begining of June. :clap:

topless4runner5.jpg

toplessrunner1.jpg

toplessrunner2.jpg

topless4runner.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom