How to Install a Intercooler on a '91 Prado EX5 (2L-TE)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive run some searches here and on the web but havent been able a thread on how to install a intercooler on a Prado ex5, 2l-te. I imagine some fabrication is in order. Im willing to start a thread document my adventures in this regard.

I was wondering if someone could help me out on how to source parts for this thing. Correct me if Im wrong but wont it help cool the engine and keep down the EGT's?

With the replacement 2L-TE engine, I'm absolutely babying the thing... keeping the water temp no more than half, EGT's no more than 10 (I'd rather keep it at 8 actuall). My boost is set at 5 with I think is too low (which i have yet to figure out how to set up to 10).

However this means Im rolling up the pass from nelson to salmo 50-60kms per hour.... really getting sick of those young punks that pass me giving me the finger and high beaming me. Im ok with going slow and not blowing my engine but if I can mod an intercooler to help. Hey why not. And I think the hood scoop looks cool anyway

Thanks;)

Lee

I installed one on the 2l-t engine, top mount. I really dont think it made any difference at all, more like heat sink.

Install at the front if you really want one.

th elocation of the hood scoop makes a huge difference to how much the intercooler works
plus
a temp reading before and after the intercooler is the only true way to tell how much it works ... or not.

i found one of the best mods i did to the 2LTE engine bay was to get rid of the AC setup ... completely.

Here are pictures of my front mount cooler set up. Wayne is right ditch the A/C period. Top mount or front mount??:meh::meh: Everyone raves about water to air cooler which leads me to believe it's much better at slower speeds ect.. I went air to air just to keep it simple and my build came in around $450. Half the price of my build may cover the shipping for the water to air system and you have to fab it all anyways.
You must remember the 2lte only produces around 40 hp at the best of times:rolleyes:
The gains I have seen is a moderate amount of power gain, decrease in egt's and the biggest one was the ability to boost for longer periods of time not feeling the fatigue when engine gets really hot.
From the outlet on my turbo to the inlet on the intake manifold I see a 100-150 deg f drop, which tells me it works just fine.

Take Care
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0952-3.jpg
IMG_0954-1.jpg

Thanks guys,

At this point I would be plenty happy to see a reduction in the EGT's! The jump in boost time would be a nice bonus.

This mod is next on my list next to, pulling the A/C, and upgrading the exhaust to 3 inch

Pradocruzer, did you have to mod the front bib to cover the intercooler? With the intercooler positioned in front of the rad, did you notice a drop in the ablitity of the radiator system? (I would be surprised that the radiator system on this truck works in any significant way ;(

lee

2.5" is more than adaquate on the small 2LTE and easier to run.
but
3" is fine too...

Wayne I am worried.....during this entire thread you have not made one negative comment about the 2L-TE head.....are you feeling ok?:)
.......1978HJ45

i was scolded pretty bad last time :eek:
and i felt SOOOO terrible deep deep down inside. :crybaby:

You are getting soft in your old age. What ashamed!:)
.......1978HJ45

2.5" is more than adaquate on the small 2LTE and easier to run.
but
3" is fine too...
Very true.
3 inch will just fit but in my opinion it is too close to the oil filter, fire wall and will tend to rattle down the frame rails. 2.5 inch seems to be just right.
I had to trim the inside of the grille so it would fit. It was not that hard to make it fit. The rad has lots of air movement. I'am still running the factory 1/4 core Honda Civic rad it came with;) I would suggest upping the boost to 10-12lbs or so if you don't have a cooler and more if you do. This helps with the egt's. I run mine to a max egt of 1050-1150deg f pre turbo and it seems to do just fine.
Unfortunately I think your stuck with the fingers on long big hills.

Take Care

if you top mount on the top of the engine then you'll need a fan for slow running as it will start to act like an 'interheater' else. I'm considering mounting one off to the side (behind my airbox) with a heat shield to avoid this. Top mounting is alot easier with at least a 1" body lift...
Do a search - there are a couple of intercooler install threads with are really good.

Regards
Mark

I booked the prado to have the exhaust upgraded to 2.5 inch for next week.

Im still learning about how to play around with boost. A guy at Lordco mentioned, in order to test if increasing boost reduces EGT's just remove the hose going to the waste gate and plug the hose. He cautioned me to watch the egts like a hawk and to reattach the line in cold weather.

Does anyone have a link to a boost adjust valve install?

Thanks!
Lee

Ok, please bare with me here as I'm a newbie to the turbo world.

After some reading on how a waste gate works. Ive discovered that keeping the waste gate closed by removing the pneumatic pressure actuator may not be a good idea.. even if I monitor for high EGTs. Keeping the waste gate closed could lead to a high and warm pressurized charge of air into the combustion chamber which could lead higher temperatures and poor combustion. It seems that the consensus on this forum is that increasing the boost will lower EGTs. I dont think I need to test this by trying to keep the gate permanently open and risking damage to the engine.

Currently my boost is set to 5psi. I have no idea who set it to that or what the best way is to adjust it. But if I understand this right, this means that I'm delivering a charge of air to the combustion chamber that is 5psi more than ambient pressure. Some people have suggested it be increased to 10 or 12psi.

Questions:

1) Why didnt toyota set the boost properly when the truck left the factory?

2) Is it necessary to make the air/fuel mix more rich if I set up the boost to 10?

3) Does anyone know of an inexpensive manual boost controller?

Thanks for helping me understand this

lee

I don't recommend removing the hose. Do you have a boost gauge installed in your truck?? 5 psi from the factory dose not sound right. Mine and others usually have 7-9 psi from the factory. You can see in the picture of my inter cooler install, the brass boost adjust valve on the turbo boost hose. $22.00 off ebay. Cheap and is fine tunable. I find the draw back to cheap boost controller is it creates some lag in time before the boost kicks in, but the reduce in egt's is well worth the lag. If you don't have a boost gauge get one and play with your boost controller as you watch egt's. Simply twist the screw clockwise and it raises the boost. There is a boost pressure sensor located on the left fender well and as you raise boost it senses the change and tells the computer to add more fuel accordingly.
Take Care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom