Bitten by diesel bug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time ago after doing lots of 4x4 in a Trooper and paying crazy money for gas I wanted to get a diesel for its reliability and economy. Unfortunately choices of diesel trucks are fairly limited (RHD is not an option for me) in Canada.

Long story short I spontaneously bought BJ 60 in May/Apr 2010 and I must admit it was a bad purchase at least from what I know now. 1983 BJ 60 with 3B and 5speed manual transmission – that is where the good news end:) Body is rusted badly and in a bad need of love, leaking oil from both birfs, diff seals and main seals and 460km on the clock. I have almost sold it but I run into Jeff Zepp's Home Page. I have communicated with Jeff briefly over email and shortly after I found out about ih8mud and local TLC chapter here in Calgary, AB.

This how he looked when I got it, notice all the leaks on the ground:)
IMG_20100715_200401.jpg

Last edited:
I have decided to take my time and “re condition” the truck – it is called “Antonov” now.

So one day Antonov woke up and decided to become an expedition truck with the first trip in June 2012 for my B-day. Antonov likes to have all of the cancer removed and leaks stopped, new paint, clutch and tires by then.

If it's that rusted, sell it to me.

First I took care of birfs leaks and huge coolant leak from heater core. I drove it for couple of month and then ripped off my muffler while doing mild camping. I couldn’t drive it anymore so decided it is time to start dealing with cancer problem on the truck

Disassembly:

16hlutl.jpg

dw2m9l.jpg

2s8gtbk.jpg

and finally after a long long 2 days of jaking things up and down

2ziansy.jpg

All of this was done at some point in October, before long snowy, cold, depressing weather moved in - winter hulted progress big time

I took my time reading this forum and learned about cruiserparts from where I bought rear fenders and my rock panels from Toyota Land Cruiser Rust Repair Panels . I've also have gotten a dog legs from the same place but haven't figured out how to put them in place yet. If any body did an extensive dog lef repair, could you post some progress pictures.

Also I have been talking to 4 Wheel Auto in Edmonton and just received all of the seals I need from them and a clutch kit.

So, time to pick up my MIG and get to work

rcvh3b.jpg

16m65tt.jpg

I've paint over new rock panels with primer to prevent flush rust but overall not bad for the first time:bounce:

Most of the rust is consentrated on rear quoter panels, rear fender and left rear corner. (at this time I am ignoring doors, **** that is removed from the car). So resently I have cut off right rear fender and maide some preparation for new fender to come in. I don't have inner fenders, so I'll have to fabricate something for those. But over all, the plan here is if I can make it in a reasonable amount of time and effort do it instead of buying new part

23t3us6.jpg

2vih5hv.jpg

2numzo8.jpg

here you can see a replacement fender on the ground.

2yto4t4.jpg

hopefully the weather will stay good and I'll do some work this weekend:)

Nice work!

any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.:D One thing for sure I am not buying a new body to replace this one all together, I want to learn as much as possible and enjoy this experience

I'm subscribed

:popcorn: Keep up the good work!

wow look at the bottom of that rad support. this rig is going to be a great way to learn rust repair my friend! subscribing to this one to see how it all comes apart and goes together

It looks like you're quite thorough! Can't wait to see the end result. Must be nice if you can weld like that. Have fun with your rig. Diesel rules! :)

A bit more of disassembly pictures. I really hope to it is going to come back together, cause it was so fun taking it apart. (Pile of metal is piling up by the side of the house)

IMG_9494.jpg

and it looks so sad now:(

IMG_9498.jpg

Left rocker panel went missing after 30 years of salt treatment

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

and we are done

IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

Prep work for left fender took for ever but I couldn't do much in -30 type of weather we had over the winter. Fabricated an inner fender and planing to complete it after the body is back on the frame - that is when I am going to deal with quote panels as well.

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Can you provide me with some feedback on the Wolf Steel repair panels that you purchased? Were you happy with the quality and fit? Do you have more detailed pictures of the repair panels?

Thanks,
Zack

Can you provide me with some feedback on the Wolf Steel repair panels that you purchased? Were you happy with the quality and fit? Do you have more detailed pictures of the repair panels?

Thanks,
Zack

I've got both of the rock panels from them and dog legs (I can't figure out how to put those in place yet:() I am satisfied with their services, prompt shipping. Fit was good, so I can't complain. When I was ordering parts I believe they needed 2-3 weeks of lead time for quote panels, as they are making them and didn't have in stock at the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom