Front Brake Hose Alternatives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The hard brake lines behind the calipers were brittle and broke off during my knuckle rebuild. I would like to eliminate the hard line and go with a flexible brake hose from the axle straight to the back of the caliper. The only brake hose I could source was a 4runner hose. The length is perfect (about 9-10 inches) but it has two female ends. Does somebody know of a brake hose that is the same length but has a male and a female end? If not, I'm thinking of fabricating a small 3 inch stub hard line coming out of the back of the caliper that the 4runner brake hose can connect to. I got some 3/16 brake line and a double flare tool to do the job. Suggestions?

You can get some SS lines.

marksoffroad.net - Call him after 1pm, he'll be in the shop. Can't find 'em on the website, but I think they're around $35 for the pair ?

You can get some SS lines.

marksoffroad.net - Call him after 1pm, he'll be in the shop. Can't find 'em on the website, but I think they're around $35 for the pair ?

Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked up some brake hoses for a '82 FJ40 from AutoZone. They look to be about right - 10 inches long with male/female ends. If that doesn't work, I'll give the SS lines a shot.

Cool. .. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, try part number 38881 from NAPA. 15" long but the extra length doesn't get in the way and allows you to tie the caliper nice and far away from the rotor / hub work when rebuilding the axle. I recently put a pair on my 60.

calipers

If that doesn't work, try part number 38881 from NAPA. 15" long but the extra length doesn't get in the way and allows you to tie the caliper nice and far away from the rotor / hub work when rebuilding the axle. I recently put a pair on my 60.

Is that with the stock calipers, or one of the 4Runner caliper conversions?

Glenn in Tucson

Is that with the stock calipers, or one of the 4Runner caliper conversions?

Glenn in Tucson

Both. The caliper for both the LC and 4Runner use the same fitting.

That's good to hear. They had a 15" hose (rear brake hose for early 90's 4runner I believe?) but I assumed it would be too long. I'm a little concerned the 10" hose is going to be too short. I definitely like the idea of getting the caliper up and out of the way becuase the calipers were a pain in the arse during the last knuckle rebuild.

So I just called NAPA here in Portland, OR and they said no stock of 38881 anywhere in US?

Also, no 38149, which I've read is good for the rear axle to wheel cylinders?

They had the 38009 for front & rear frame to axle.

This is confusing.

Have the #s changed?

I literally just got off the phone with man a free and checked MUD for the first time today.

I ordered the SS kit for my 85' 60. I'll post up how they work out a couple weeks from now.

:cheers:

The soft hose that goes from the frame to the front axle housing is the perfect length with the right fittings for what you're doing (I did it last year when my hard line broke.) If you can have some parts flunky look up that hose, you will be in good shape.

lehiguy, you're saying the frame to axle hose will work for the axle to front caliper? And for the rear axle to wheel cylinder?

I'm just looking for a nice list of parts so I can replace all my 27 year old brake hoses at the same time!

lehiguy, you're saying the frame to axle hose will work for the axle to front caliper? And for the rear axle to wheel cylinder?

I'm just looking for a nice list of parts so I can replace all my 27 year old brake hoses at the same time!

It deffinitely works on the front, I haven't tried the rear and I can't now, I swapped axles. All the brake lines on your Cruiser use a 10mm inverted flare hard line and/or hose. The only thing that differs is the length. A lot of hose shops, the ones that build and repair hydraulic hoses, can make you brake lines from rubber or stainless if you want. I have all mine made locally from stainless when I need to replace one. It might be worth the effort to check on that in your area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom