bumper for warn18k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
geographical area known as canada, near ontario
now i got your attention, heres what i got to show off for my next project:

the issue was that since my diesel sawp involved switching over to 24 volts, my current(m12000) 12v winch was gonna cause some type of problem.
so i happen by a good deal (thx woytovich for the link). a warn 24v 18000lbs industrial winch, new never used...the catch: drive 8hrs to go pick it up in upstate ny, from toronto(canada). border crossing...
and the winch came with no remote.

so the 18k wasnt gonna fit the current winch mount so i bought one from princess auto for 60$, and chopped up the 12k mount so that i can weld the princess auto plate on top...

AN|D WH|ILe im at it, why not make a full heavy duty bumper. i bought some steel today. i got hooked up some cheap prices and it was cut for free.

ordered a winch remote from local jeep/warn dealer, 180$!

stats
bumber: consists of 1/4 winch plate welded to modded frame mount(sorry no pic), two 'wings' welded to winch mount <-all this one piece, then bolt the winch in the whole bumper is a pretty big 150lbs.
i have ome xtra heavy so i should be fine...

winch: 27inch wide, huge cable, 135lbs!!!

total weight 282lbs!

will por15 as finish

welding being done by defiant4wd
steel from metal superstore
design by me :p

this is what we did tonite
i will say no more:

mock up
Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

bumper wings
Image023.jpg

Image025.jpg

old mount that i cut the sides and front off so i can welded new winch mount onto
Image055-1.jpg

warn 18k (badass)
Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

trip to ny, over st-laurence river bridge
Image051.jpg

the truck eagerly waiting
Image024.jpg

Nice work so far.

Why the heck do you need an 18k winch?? It's going to pull the frame out from underneath the truck! I never had any issues with my Warn M8000 and it was fairly small and light.

damn .. ! that's a huge winch ..

Thought was a good deal ( looks almost new ) .. how you will hook this winh on your electrics . ? both batts at time ?

BTW you can do a cheap home made control ..

Nice work so far.

Why the heck do you need an 18k winch?? It's going to pull the frame out from underneath the truck! I never had any issues with my Warn M8000 and it was fairly small and light.

i had a warn m12000 before and it was very nice, my issue was the 12v // 24v. the 18k winch is 24v. i know its overkill but i got such a good deal

damn .. ! that's a huge winch ..

Thought was a good deal ( looks almost new ) .. how you will hook this winh on your electrics . ? both batts at time ?

BTW you can do a cheap home made control ..

i was told the winch was never used. im not sure yet how to hook it up.
i know i shouldnt draw of only one battery but what i dont know is i can say 'draw from both batteries and one ground from the winch to the chasis
i picked up the remote today, i know it was expensive but it matches the winch; heavy duty. its encased in very think rubber, 12foot cord

Last edited:
progress:
tac'd together:
frame mount to winch mount to bumper wings

Image001.jpg

Image0162.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image0002.jpg

Holy :censor::censor::censor: thats a sexy winch.
:beer:
P.S. great looking bumper too
-Carl

Great looking bumper! Mark is a great guy so I'm not surprised that you're happy with your deal.

When you get the winch all hooked up, you have to show us how you can lift your truck straight off the ground!!

Your bumper design looks good. I like simple. The diamond plated top parts look good.

As for thw winch; yes it's overboard but remember that it's not going to overheat or overexert itself as much. None of us need that much winch but as long as you don't complain about the extra weight who cares?

I got an M12,000 cheap and I thought I was getting too much winch... :D

I assume the larger winch requires more amps to power? Bumper looks like its going to be HD... may be a good bit of weight on the front end. I bet you will need one hell of an Alt along with dual batteries.

Great looking bumper! Mark is a great guy so I'm not surprised that you're happy with your deal.

When you get the winch all hooked up, you have to show us how you can lift your truck straight off the ground!!

X10,000 :hillbilly:

-Carl

Power and pain

I assume the larger winch requires more amps to power? Bumper looks like its going to be HD... may be a good bit of weight on the front end. I bet you will need one hell of an Alt along with dual batteries.

I once stood and watched a CJ with a 12,000 winch double line to extract himself from a flooded creek near Tellico. That much winch and a unfogiving rock ledge under the water was quite a comedy as the side load twisted the frame like a pretzel and finally with a large pop the Cj and most of the frame and front end came out of the creek. Alas the rear end with differential and wheels was still in the water. :mad: Carefull that's a tool that will easily make for a bad day.

Also if you check the amperage on some of the higher capacity winches you may be supprised at how little the electrical needs increase. But as with any winch (8,000lbs. plus) it will be substantial.

Holy :censor::censor::censor: thats a sexy winch.
:beer:
P.S. great looking bumper too
-Carl

yeah its huge, overkill really, but for the timing/price/convenience its working out pretty well

mark didnt sell me the winch, he just hooked up a kijiji link for the sale of the winch. its actually weird story:
i saw a thread about a fellow mudder wanting to buy a 24v 18000lbs winch (cuz of a good deal); but he had a 12v engine. i msg'd him that id trade my 12v 12k warn for the 24v 18k and we'd meet in the middle and do a straight up swap, hw sent me pics of when he went to check it out. anyways he bailed. i dont remember how, but mark sent me the kijiji ad for the same winch. i offered him the same deal for a swap but he passed, so i drove down to upstate ny to get the winch

:flipoff2:sorry but i am not gonna lift the truck of the ground unless i have too :p

Your bumper design looks good. I like simple. The diamond plated top parts look good.

As for thw winch; yes it's overboard but remember that it's not going to overheat or overexert itself as much. None of us need that much winch but as long as you don't complain about the extra weight who cares?

I got an M12,000 cheap and I thought I was getting too much winch... :D

thanks for the compliment; i first designed a bumper with more angles (pieces) and opeted for a simplier design for ease of build and cost.
i really dont care about the weight, i have a good load rating on my leaf springs.
i really liked my m12000 and wish i could of got a 24v m12k, but no luck. it is more then whatever you could need to use it for. espicialy if you carry a snatch block

I once stood and watched a CJ with a 12,000 winch double line to extract himself from a flooded creek near Tellico. That much winch and a unfogiving rock ledge under the water was quite a comedy as the side load twisted the frame like a pretzel and finally with a large pop the Cj and most of the frame and front end came out of the creek. Alas the rear end with differential and wheels was still in the water. :mad: Carefull that's a tool that will easily make for a bad day.

Also if you check the amperage on some of the higher capacity winches you may be supprised at how little the electrical needs increase. But as with any winch (8,000lbs. plus) it will be substantial.

and i quote 'cj' :flipoff2:
this is a landcruiser not je3p :p
toobad for that guy, got any pics?
ive used my m12k many many times and i feel compitent i can use the 18k alrite. safety first.
i am looking for an answer about if the alternator will be sufficient for the amps. i know they have low output versus the power needed to run the winch, but im thinking arent batteries something like 4-600 amps each, they will be taking on a big load but the alternator could charge them back up?
i was thinking to get deep cycle batteries(class 31), i already have one optima d31 yellow top...

Originally Posted by Elbert View Post

already dual batteries...

Last edited:
CJ

Yes it was a heep but the point you appear to be well aware of, that much pull can real quickly get nasty. No that was before digital pics and was a rainy day run in the mud so did not take the 35mm. Wreckage went a different direction after the wreck/recovery. Keep safe. :)

progress, sorry for the sgitty camera phone pics

por15 wet
Image0012.jpg

dry
Image0022.jpg

i put a second coat on before leaving the shop; on the bumper, and my hands :s
tomorrow i paint it ultra flat black and mount it along with the winch :D

For most things, yes, it is overkill, but when that one thing that needs an 18k winch ever comes around, you'll be set. :grinpimp:

-Carl

its on
i still got to figure out how to hook it up, then see if it work :p
ill get some better shots, ill take em outside,
this bumper is a bolt on affair; i really like that for easy removal if ever necessary
ill get some pics from under as well
IMG_3873.jpg

better lighting:
may2009014.jpg

top bolts
may2009022.jpg

hooks need to get welded on
may2009027.jpg

may2009019.jpg

may2009021.jpg

side
may2009024.jpg

may2009026.jpg

may2009023.jpg

far
may2009025.jpg

may2009016.jpg

may2009017.jpg

Thats looks great! Not sure if this was asked before, but, are/have you thought about putting some simple tubing to cover the lights/grill?

-Carl

did you have a clue on the winch weight . ?

135lbs with cable, i picked it up and jumped on a bathroom scale, and tared myself :p

Thats looks great! Not sure if this was asked before, but, are/have you thought about putting some simple tubing to cover the lights/grill?

-Carl

i dont think ill be putting on any tubing. think the bumper itself is enough protection. this thing weights a lot already and i dont think i want to add anything else...
the front end has gone down over 1/2inch so far

today i wired up the winch, but couldnt get it to work :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom