fj62 + hj60 = hj62 diesel swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
geographical area known as canada, near ontario
forsalemarch2010.jpg

hi all,
i have been researching and learning about diesels lately and decided i wanted a diesel cruiser. i have a fj62 and it gets 350-500km per tank (depending). its not too bad for the 3fe but not good enuf for me. i have taken good care of the engine but still i wanted a diesel. the 3fe is still a gret engine but for the amount of driving i do its expensive.

ive been looking for a good deal on a diesel drive train. i found a 1986 hj60 about a month ago and went to test drive it. this cruiser was driven daily and had recent maintenance including glow plugs, filters, new tank new oil pan...so this week i went back to test drive again and after some negoiations i purchased it for what seemed a reasonable price. the body was has much rust and the frame has a bad hole in it. the 4lo is extremely hard to shift but works. other then that the drivetrain is solid anjd the truck drives great. it drove back from barrie to mississauga (~160km) at an average speed of 120, ans it was pushed to 140km. there is a vibration at around 105-115km)

anyways, i got a hj60 and a fj62 and i will be putting the 2h into the fj62 to make me a hj62 :)

my brother and buddy just opened a 4x4 garage and are letting me do the work there.

i will try to document this as best i can and post lots of pics.

i will have many questions and issues to deal with i know but i am ready to do this.

today i pull the engine/tranny out of the fj62 and tomorow will dismount exhaust, take off gas tank, dismantle t-case (to swap on to diesel drivetrain). i will also clean the enigine bay and use some of the gallon of por15 i bought last week.

my main worry right now is how all the 24v stuff will go into the j62(12v)

more pics
hj60 pictures by sdcamyotte - Photobucket

hj60
forsalemarchhj60andssr4runner007.jpg

2h
forsalemarchhj60andssr4runner005.jpg

my truck
DSC00261.jpg

Last edited:
24V stuff........

Replace all 24v stuff with 12v stuff........ starter, alternator, edic and so on......

that sounds expensive.
is there anything on the 3fe thatll bolt on the 2h? the ac pump look similar.

any way to use the 24v systems or too much hassle? converters?

i am trying to have as little down time as possible since i use it daily.

The t-case from the 2H has lower gearing in low range, same gearing in high range... this is a desirable combination. Also, I'm guessing here, but the shift points would be different between the 3fe and 2h. Why bother separating the driveline?
GG

just spliting the case, the 4lo is extremely stiff. i have rebuilt the tcase in my fj62 so i dont think this is a major issue. i also have a spare tcase for part as well(all cleaned up as of last week) and a few left over bearings/gaskets...

i was thinking to use the bearings from the 62 and the gears from the 60. i also will rebuild the rear output shaft. but i dont know how far im going to dig into it but ill see when i get there...

anyways im of to the shop ill get more pics up later

day 1. pull engine. my buddy trevor help me disconnect everything.

then felix(my brother) helped with hoisting out the engine(which took less then 10 mins!!wound of been faster if trevor got out the way :p )

day 2:
clean engine bay, por15 frame, pull some of the harness and prep for some body work

day 3:
disconnect everything from engine (cooling+cooler lines/electrical and vacuum)
Matt (CDN_Cruzer) came down and gave me a hand, (thx)

then i pulled some of the harness and took parts i want off the hj

all i need to do put pull engine out the hj, are unbolt the motor mounts, tranny mounts, and tranny crossmember.

i do not think i will have to change the motor mounts, the frame look very similar. both have auto trans, the drive shafts are the same.

i think the plan is to swap the entire harness from one truck to the other. get the basics working first.

the thing is my 62 came with all power option like antenae, mirrors, windows, locks... but i dont really like any of that stuff so i want to get some manual doors

to do:
remove/swap gas tanks
figure out a way to drain a/c out of fj62
new rad
pull harnesses

whats is also sweet is my buddy is putting a 5cylinder mercedes turbo diesel motor in his 4runner beside me :)

VIDEO: (the squeal is the extremely loose belts we found out)

some pics of the 2h:
forsalemarchhj60andssr4runner006.jpg

forsalemarchhj60andssr4runner005.jpg

por15
IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

not a cruiser but going in a toyota
IMG_3612.jpg

defiant 4x4 shop
IMG_3618.jpg

the plow truck:
IMG_3631.jpg

back to the hj62 project
IMG_3619.jpg

day4:
yes we did pull the motor today, but i made a few boo boos 1: saws-alled into my tcase. 2: forgot to disconnect auto shifter while pulling motor. we figured out when the motor was 1/2way out (embarasing) i wont mention the rolling around in the atf/coolant/rust chip puddle.
i planed on rebuilding the tcase anyways and have all spare parts... and have all the shifter linkages from my auto trans from the 3fe. so im lucky?

i was really frustrated until the motor was on the ground. thanks to alan and felix for the help

after the motor was out. i had a look at the motor mounts connected to the engine and observed that the diver side motor mount can be moved to a forward position which could result in fitting the the 62's frame. the 62s frame to motor mount are different the the hj60s.
on the passenger side the mounts look approximately the same location but the frame to motor mounts were different (1/2 inch lower?) the arms on this side on each motor seemed quite the same.
*note* these were all crude measurements

this is all i got to do tonite since i have to work all day, but every little bit counts. i will be back at it tomorow

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

Hey lost!

Which way are you going to go with the electrics? Switching over to 24v or converting the motor to 12v?

I did one and know which way I'd go next time. Just interested in your thoughts.

Rick

hey rick

i am pulling the whole harness and switching over to 24v.
its gonna take a long time but i dont see anyway around it unless i want to take the time and money to convert the motor over to 12v.

this truck is/was/gonna be my dd so im going over so id like as little down time as possible. i have more time then money and really i like the sound of a 24volt system.

id like to know which way you went about the 12v 24v issue since youve 'done one'. sounds like you might of went the other way next time?? and why? what truck/motor used?

really cool project i want to put a disel into my 60

just a little update:

day5
clean up the shop(i made a mess)
drain gas out fj
take hj dash apart

day6
finish labeling the hj harness
pull hj front harness (dash and motor)
pull passenger back harness(shifter, fuel seperator sensor, console switches etc)

Sounds like you've got your hands full. Do you have a target date your aiming for?
Dave

mercedes diesel in to cruiser. that must be fun.

mud shark rosey - there is no set time but i am putting as many hours as i can in on this project. the 62 was my dd and i dont have another car...so i am trying to get this dont has fast as i can. there are many little 24volt things that need need to be swapped so i am trying to be as effient as i can so that i dont botch anything up.

micheal hanson - i have very fortunate to have the amount of space that i do. theres a diesel thing in the air around here and my buddy and brother are very supportive of this project. they said not to bother bringing my tools over. they arent really rushing me but they are awaiting completion

todays update day 7

-finishing taking dash apart
-pull main harness
-started to figure out cluster setup (60vs62 and 12v vs 24v)

taking the dash apart and pulling the harness was way easier the second around :p
i have to trim the dash switch slots to accomadate the wider 60s switch and wiring
some of the things like glow plug light need to be changed as well

the hj rad is toast, my options are re core, new aftermarket, new oem, or source used(rare)
the 2h rad vs the 3fe rad look the same except the top hoses are on different sides for the 2h
my 62 rad is still in good shape

does any one know if you can switch side the top intake port on a rad??

hey rick

i am pulling the whole harness and switching over to 24v.
its gonna take a long time but i dont see anyway around it unless i want to take the time and money to convert the motor over to 12v.

this truck is/was/gonna be my dd so im going over so id like as little down time as possible. i have more time then money and really i like the sound of a 24volt system.

id like to know which way you went about the 12v 24v issue since youve 'done one'. sounds like you might of went the other way next time?? and why? what truck/motor used?

I did what you are doing. I put a 1986 Can spec 24v 2H into a 1983 FJ60. I swapped harnesses, bulbs, motors, switches, the whole nine yards. Adventure Motors Costa Rica

After owning and driving the truck for a year, I have 20/20 hindsight! While the 24v system is cool (think NATO or military spec) There are fewer resources, including accurate wiring diagrams or parts sources in my area.

I've been able to keep it healthy and reliable, but I am convinced I have given myself exposure to additional expense and down time.

It's our DD and I feel my decision could have been better. I was overly influenced by cost containment.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom