3FE Owners: How Common is Throttle Position Sensor Failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I pulled my TPS to check according to the specs in the FSM and found that the last 3 resistance values fail (see below).

I have been hunting problems on this install for a while. It seems like everything I investigate reveals repairs that need to be made.

So how hearty are these throttle position sensors?

Has anyone pulled them apart and cleaned contacts? If so, how long did that repair work for?

Seperate question, does anyone know if the 3FE ECU will function without the check engine light?

attachment.php

Answer to your first question is yes they fail and normally its the spring and I have one if you need it .

Question 2 you need to complete the circuit ...in series as you well know but I must ask why?

Answer to your first question is yes they fail and normally its the spring and I have one if you need it .

It still has spring in its function, it is just the resistance values that do not pass.

You have a spring if I need it, or a TPS if I need it? Thanks!

Question 2 you need to complete the circuit ...in series as you well know but I must ask why?

I ask b/c I do not think there is one hooked up to my ECU. I contacted the individual that did the 3FE install and asked him where the CEL was and he said he did not think there was one. :frown: What kind of issues will that cause?

Thanks for the help!

I can ship it to you for 25 bucks...its used:D but fine
It still has spring in its function, it is just the resistance values that do not pass.

You have a spring if I need it, or a TPS if I need it? Thanks!

I ask b/c I do not think there is one hooked up to my ECU. I contacted the individual that did the 3FE install and asked him where the CEL was and he said he did not think there was one. :frown: What kind of issues will that cause?

Thanks for the help!
The only thing off the top of my head would be that you could not read the codes......I have never heard that a check engine light was missing:confused:

I take it that the 3FE was swapped into your rig? I would add a Check Engine Light as its a useful tool.
Did the guy who did the swap include the test block, (the "Check" connector) from the fire wall?

Tony

PS Knock on wood my tps has never failed

Last edited:
I've had a baker's dozen 62's without a tps failure.

I just tested my TPS last week per the FSM and my values for the bottom three were off as well. (I was investigating a high idle) Following a tip from the #3E forum I loosened the screws on top and bottom of the TPS (bottom one is crazy hard to get at) an ever so gently rotated the sensor about its center while reading the ohm meter. I was able to get the values to fall with in spec pretty quickly. then I just tightned the screws back up and upon startup my idle ran perfectly at 650 instead of the regular 1100. Hope this helps narrow some of it down.

By the way. The 3FE write up I was working off of said if this doesn't work you'd better order a new TPS soon.

I take it that the 3FE was swapped into your rig? I would add a Check Engine Light as its a useful tool.
Did the guy who did the swap include the test block, (the "Check" connector) from the fire wall?

Tony

PS Knock on wood my tps has never failed

Yep, 3FE swapped into a '74 Piggy!

It makes me smile

It does have the Diagnositc Connector

I've had a baker's dozen 62's without a tps failure.

I wish that were my luck. I think this 3FE has had a hard life!

Thanks Mang!

requesting more details

Can you point me to the article you referenced or include details on exactly what you did? I have been trying to track down a fast idle (around 1100 like yours) and would like to get the details on this possible fix.

Thanks,
Darin

I just tested my TPS last week per the FSM and my values for the bottom three were off as well. (I was investigating a high idle) Following a tip from the #3E forum I loosened the screws on top and bottom of the TPS (bottom one is crazy hard to get at) an ever so gently rotated the sensor about its center while reading the ohm meter. I was able to get the values to fall with in spec pretty quickly. then I just tightned the screws back up and upon startup my idle ran perfectly at 650 instead of the regular 1100. Hope this helps narrow some of it down.

By the way. The 3FE write up I was working off of said if this doesn't work you'd better order a new TPS soon.

Can you point me to the article you referenced or include details on exactly what you did? I have been trying to track down a fast idle (around 1100 like yours) and would like to get the details on this possible fix.

Thanks,
Darin

In the Factory Service Manual. Do you have a 62? If so, I can send some magic your way.

here is the one I really understood and used.

Toyota 22RE Throttle Position Sensor

There is a ton of good info here. It's for a slightly different engine setup but the procedure works flawlessly. it even teaches you to use an ohm meter if your skills are lacking.

Once I finally started to make the adjustments I was set in less than 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom