Rear Heater Blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, here is the deal. I have done some searches and I'm just getting back the same information, maybe someone has something different to offer. My rear heater (console/heater) in my '82 40 was removed prior to my purchase, in my ever constant quest to UN-do my PO's "improvements" I decided to re-add the heater. I bought the heater, go the core cleaned and powder-coated the metal pieces. The lines were still installed and they were both clogged with junk. After getting them all cleaned I installed the core and had the truck running and it got good and hot. Re-installed it all and now the rear heater won't get hot.... I'm at my wits end. No idea why it would work and not work now. Front heater is hot.

Is water running through with one line off , or is it clogged up again? There is also the valve on the heater for temp adjustment.
Is fan working?

Is water running through with one line off , or is it clogged up again? There is also the valve on the heater for temp adjustment.
Is fan working?

It was, haven't checked today. Valve is on hot. Fan is on!

Its pretty simple, really. After the truck is warmed up just feel the lines with your hand and locate the stoppage. You've got more crud in the lines to deal with.

An infrared heat gun can be handy at times like this. I doubt the lines are plugged - I'd look more closely at the valve(s) involved.

He said the front heater is hot so it is not the valve. There is only one valve if he is stock.

He said the front heater is hot so it is not the valve. There is only one valve if he is stock.

The front DOES get hot, so there might be another plug in the rear heater lines again, but I'm not too sure. I hate checking because I get radiator fluid everywhere. There is a valve on the heater in the back in the later models like mine. I figured if there was a plug in either of the lines, both lines would get cool, or never hot because there was no fluid circulation.

Are the lines to the rear heater hot?

They were last night, not on the way to work today. Very frustrating...

Yep, sounds like my heater lines. I've kinda given up on it until I can take the thing apart in the garage and go through the whole cooling system and see what I can find. Hoping to do that this winter (now that I have a garage), along with some other things. If you don't find out what's going on before then I'll let you know what I find.

Yep, sounds like my heater lines. I've kinda given up on it until I can take the thing apart in the garage and go through the whole cooling system and see what I can find. Hoping to do that this winter (now that I have a garage), along with some other things. If you don't find out what's going on before then I'll let you know what I find.

Cool Matt, best of luck! I'll let you know what I decide to do.. I think I'll just yank the line off and see if it's going through. Messing with old heater lines is a test in patience, I can't stand the OEM band clamps.

You might consider going with 100 percent water until you get the prolem solved. Much easier clean up. Unless of course you guys are already getting freezing temperatures between your problem solving attempts.:cheers:

Well, I didn't do anything and it started working!! I had a blockage somewhere. Question, should I be more concerned or less???

it could have just had an air bubble trapped in it, that worked out.

I'm hoping that's it. Or it was magic. Either way, now it gets crazy hot in there with the windows closed, I need to fix my resistor to get my low speed fan setting. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom