1983 bj40 in uk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got some time now to post some piccies. i bought this in summer 08.had a 45 in the past (and an lj70) but always wanted a 40, and getting a diesel means big fun to come in water!:). this is how it looked when it came to me

Last edited:
truck was in very poor condition and had not been legal on road or serviced for a very long time.apart from being a rot box it had lots of oil leaks. engine,gearbox and steering box all leaking badly.po had also cut through wheel well to weld chassis. poor descision and poor outcome. anyway i knew it would be a frame off so here we go..................
DSC01695.jpg
DSC01707.jpg
DSC01667.jpg

i'm quite well into the build now and have many piccies to post-but after those three i seem to be near my limit. can someone tell me what i need to do to post more pics?

thanks

I think it's limited to three a day unless you have a silver star. Stars are $20 (wish I renewed mine before the £ crashed) an go to help run the website. If you have a star most of the adverts go an you just get the little banner ads.

Good to see another icon being saved from the rust demon.

But wouldn't that be a 1983 BJ42 (rather than a BJ40)?

In this part of the world there weren't any BJ40s built after about 1980.

And that looks like a 3B engine rather than a B engine. (I'm looking at the 3-bolt exhaust flange.)

(Here the BJ42 got the 3B engine whereas the BJ40 got the earlier B engine. --- And a B engine has a 2-bolt exhaust flange).

:cheers:

thanks for the info malc-looks like i'll have to drip feed piccies 'til i get me a star.let me go back to the beginning. this is the truck as it came to me.it wasn't registered on these shores 'til 2001.it's declared build date is 1983. frame no. is bj40-059619. someone may be able to pinpoint it's birthday from that??.defo b engine,h41 box and drums alround (ironically the only things that worked properly on it).more info and pics 2moz.
DSC01663.jpg
DSC01665.jpg
DSC01668.jpg

..it wasn't registered on these shores 'til 2001.it's declared build date is 1983. frame no. is bj40-059619. someone may be able to pinpoint it's birthday from that??....

That's interesting. Are you reading that frame number off the outside of the right-hand chassis-rail just before the bumper?

Or are you simply reading it from a plate that someone in the UK may have fitted?

....defo b engine...........

So you are saying you have a "B" (and NOT a 3B) cast into your engine block behind your EDIC motor just like this:

Bsymbol.JPG

Sorry - It is just that I feel sure your engine would be called a 3B in this part of the world. .............Hell - It even has the 3B-type of oil cooler as far as I can see from your photos.

And I fail to understand why toyota would market the same vehicle to 2 different countries while calling it a BJ40 in one country and a BJ42 in another.

Of course there is the possiblity that your declared build date is wrong and that your vehicle has had an engine-transplant.

PS. Sorry to appear to keep disputing what you are saying. - It is just that I'm interested in your vehicle's origin and in learning the background behind these "apparent discrepencies". (I don't mean to be offensive :eek:)
Bsymbol.JPG

hi tom.

i also intend to find out more of it's past.for now though vin plate and frame no. on leg tally.

vin plate also gives engine as b and 2977cc. b is also cast in block and stickered on valve cover. many daihatsu logos on engine parts also.vin plate also states bj40.

fi you want any specific photos to help identify it let me know.many photos will follow soon also.

will try 3 more for now

best regards

rob
DSC01719.jpg
DSC01720.jpg
DSC01724.jpg

it looks nearly exactly like mine, I'd say it's probably a B. You may want to check out 4wheelauto.com - it's in western Canada so shipping will be outrageous, but they are super knowledgeable and are an excellent source for B engine stuff.

hi tom.

i also intend to find out more of it's past.for now though vin plate and frame no. on leg tally.

vin plate also gives engine as b and 2977cc. b is also cast in block and stickered on valve cover. many daihatsu logos on engine parts also.vin plate also states bj40.

fi you want any specific photos to help identify it let me know.many photos will follow soon also.

will try 3 more for now

best regards

rob

thanks Rob

Good heavens!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

Well up until seeing your engine I had been convinced that an "alloy oil cooler" and "3-bolt exhaust flange" were NOT features of any 2977cc B-diesel (but instead were features of the 3B engine).

And I also believed the B-powered BJ40 ceased production around 1980 to be replaced with the 3B-powered BJ42. Now I can only assume that this was just what happened in the Australian/NZ market (and that B-engined BJ40s continued in production for the European market).

Ah well. - I'll have to revise my thinking on this.

Anyway here are some photos of mine to show the 2-bolt exhaust flange and non-serviceable (cheaper) oil cooler:

exhaust1.jpg

oilcooler.jpg
exhaust1.jpg
oilcooler.jpg

Toyota did mix up everything for different markets and years.

My *german* 1977 FJ40 had drumbrakes, ambulance doors, hand throttle, rear heater and no smog stuff when sold in germany.

Pictures and part numbers are always needed when these things get questioned global.

the trucks body and chassis while on the face of it looked ok (i bought this truck via ebay,unseen btw) is actually in a very sad state.more detail to come after blasting,but for now the tear down.note in the first picture the po had cut thrugh the wheel well to weld the chassis. (badly i might add). don't know who the ugly git in piccy three is;)
DSC01667.jpg
DSC01672.jpg
DSC01676.jpg

the trucks body and chassis while on the face of it looked ok (i bought this truck via ebay,unseen btw) is actually in a very sad state.more detail to come after blasting,but for now the tear down.note in the first picture the po had cut thrugh the wheel well to weld the chassis. (badly i might add). don't know who the ugly git in piccy three is;)

Should be enough there to keep you busy Rob.

Interesting way that the blinkers/sidelights are mounted to the guards too! :D

(Looks like the UK climate is probably even more conducive to rust than the NZ climate.)

it's certainly keeping me busy-not the engine though-that was sent off to my toyota mechanic mate 'round the corner for new rings and shells as it was 'breathing a bit heavy' as he put it :rolleyes:

the lads are one of my boys and his mate.the b engine is some lump!

note the bits of body left at mounting points on the chassis.
DSC01696.jpg
DSC01699.jpg
DSC01701.jpg

Where abouts are you in the UK? I have a couple of Bj40 projects on the go at the moment. I am in the Midlands near Alton Towers.

Cheers Jonnie

uk

looking good

I have a 71 FJ40 build on at the moment but I am coming to the UK again in July. I live about 30 mins from wildtraxx off road track so I am looking forward to giving that a go

I'll be following your build closely Rob got the same job to do on my BJ41 soon. Good luck

hi guys

thanks for all your comments. no time to post pics tonight as we're going out ,but i'll fill in with a bit of info.

tom, yes your right about the rust -the hollow bolts that mount the indicaters/sidelights were obviously rotted away as was a good part of the fenders, but more of the bodywork to come over the next few days. on my pevious fj45 i hollowed out a couple of coach bolts which worked really well.this time though as someone has mounted them directly to the fender i ordered a pair of pillars and gaskets from sor so they are good to go when the time comes.in the general scheme of things this is a minor issue but multiply all the minors up and you get a major:frown:.-your truck looks nice and clean btw.

spackrackman, i am in northampton ,100 miles south of alton towers. i'd love to see what you got -post pics. if i have reason to go up that way i'll pm you.

bsmith, wildtracks is an hour east of me. i hope to have my truck (off?)roadworthy at least as a soft top by then ,ready for the billing show in northampton.(a landrover event- but hey nothing's perfect!) if you pm me nearer the time i'll try and get there. have been to lots of other sites-tixover,wadham,devils pit,sibbertoft etc but not there.

hiluxonian, hi again-would like to see more of yours also.post more pics if you can. i want to pick your brains in the near future because of your knowledge of hiluxes. hope you got lots of time and money for your builds but for now i assume your birthday on your profile is a typo?:rolleyes:surely you are not an 86 year old landscaper.

regards all

hi guys

hiluxonian, hi again-would like to see more of yours also.post more pics if you can. i want to pick your brains in the near future because of your knowledge of hiluxes. hope you got lots of time and money for your builds but for now i assume your birthday on your profile is a typo?:rolleyes:surely you are not an 86 year old landscaper.

regards all

No only a 35 y.o landscaper. Time and money are always in short supply but I like to be busy. You're welcome to pick my brains hopefully I'll have the answer cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom