My unscientific quest for 20 MPG.... almost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided I had had enough of the 9-10 mpg with my 4 bbl Edelbrock and pulled it off . My Edelbrock 1406 was too touchy to start and pedal response was poor IMO.. always a hesitation and crap for off camber..I have been contemplating using a Megasquisrt TBI fuel injected system but kept seeing problems with my friends older bmw set up with MS. I wanted something simple and reliable.
I did a search here on mud and found that there is a good following on the Motorcraft 2100 and 2150 carburetors. Many report good mpg and good off camber capability.

I posted on Craigslit that I was looking for Motorcraft 2100-2150s and got several replies. First guy had 3 carbs complete and only asked for $20... I insisted on $10 for each carb. The best carb from my search is the same one most of the 6 cylinder jeep guys are looking for. The 1.08 venturi Motorcraft 2100 =2150 seems to be the ticket. I was lucky all 3 were 1.08's.

My application was similar in cubic inches. I am running a small block chevy 305 with HEi and single exhaust. It has about 43k on a rebuilt motor.
Sources for the carb: AMC 304 or Ford 302. Unfortunately Motorcraft does not stamp 2100 anywhere I can see on these carbs. The correct size will have "1.08" in a small circle cast on the drivers side of the carb body, somewhat obscured by the accelerator pump linkage. As difficult as this is to measure in the junkyard, the 1.08 is the size of the venturis (the barrels). I have been advised that #108 is 450 cfm, #114 520 cfm, and #121 575. Use the 1.08
I rebuilt the Motorcraft carb with a kit from Napa.. This took about an hour and under $15. This carb is simple, my lawn mower engine is more complicated. I followed the instructions precise but decided to go manual choke so I capped off the choke pull-off assembly and sealed it. I used a factory FJ choke cable so it looks OEM in the cab.
I pulled some #47 jets out of one of the other carbs to replace teh #52 that were in this one.

My reason for this whole test was to see what mpg I could get out of the 2bbl and still feel I had not sacrificed all my power.
I would be curious to know if any crusierheads are running one of these on a 2F. I know the factory carbs are great but I was surprise at my results. Again this is an unscientific test but I was happy with the results.
I had a Mr. gasket 4-2bbl carb adapter on hand so I installed it to the carb and then to the edelbrock performer manifold. I hooked up the fuel and fabbed a bracket for the pedal assembly.
The sbc started right up on the first try and I was pulling great vac at idle. I have an O2 sensor bung welded in my exhaust so I put in an Innovate air fuel wide band sensor to help me achieve a clean burn. http://www.maperformance.com/innovate-lm-1-digital-air-fuel-ratio-meter.html

After some minor adjustments and 20 miles of testing ..I was burning 13.7 to 1 AFR . I was happy. At idle it was lower which is normal... around 10.5 to 1 IIRC. Timing is set at 12* BTDC.
For my mpg test I bought a one gallon gas can and filled it exactly to one gallon. I ran the carb empty and pinched off the fuel line from the tank. I substituted my remote low pressure FoMoCo electric fuel pump and fuel to the MC 2100.
Since I don't trust my odometer with 33" tires I used my GPS. I live near the mouth of Provo canyon at around 4850 ft elevation and headed up the canyon. I ran into a slowdown on the way as a forest fire was
just getting going again today at 7:00PM. ( great chopper pic sucking H20 out of the river on the fly)
Your results may vary ...
but here are my results when I ran out of fuel:

19.5 mpg
Max speed 60.4 mph
Moving average 40.5
Moving time 28 minutes.. some of this was slow due to traffic.
I had a bunch of stop and go which I had not counted on due to the fire.
Dead stop in traffic for 2.04 minutes

I will test again and I think I can break 20mpg @ 55-60 mph on a flat out run and a light foot.
Summary.. It's no 4 barrel but It runs great and starts easy and I am getting nearly twice the mileage.
I better go get my quadrajet flame suit on now....
mud6.jpg
mud7.jpg
mud9.jpg

Last edited:
great info. Is the canyon a pretty flat drive? I'm getting ready to do a baseline with my q-jet on my 383. My Holley wasn't much over 10. I'm hoping to keep a pretty steady 60 mph on very flat roads.

I may have to keep my eye out for one to tinker with, I had one long ago, but it got tossed. :(

Last edited:
MPG

Great Job,

A pretty original topic hopefully we will see more tweaking mpg posts on FJs, If you got 19 mpg on your first try then what is possible?

I was considering LPG as well, but that is down the road.

Keep us posted

How do you like that GPS? I need one of those!

The canyon is a fairly low rise drive... I aired up to 35 psi and never had my foot in it. It was mild up hill and down hill as I turned around after approx 10 miles and started back home.
I think I can get a constant 16 -18 in all around driving. Its not spectacular but it's a ton better than what I was getting.
Besides the better MPG.. the fact it is such a simple carb is what I like best.
Next test will be some off road and off camber and will post up what I get.

Last edited:
Nice thing about this carb you can run a lpg carb on top of the gas carb.I just bought the set up at a SWAP meet for f2 engine carb and intake manifold adapter.

I am still new at all this so I dont understand all you said, but the end result sounds great! I wonder if this would help much on a 2F? It sure is cheaper than a aisan, curious about the off road aspect to it. The pics are sweet too!!:beer:

Too bad this carb doesn't work for an F or 2f?

If you really want to boost your MPG numbers i can give you the run down on how to make and install a Hydrogen unit and you can boost it more by simply using a liter of water and one table spoon of baking soda. I know a lot of people think this is a bull crap gimmick but I tried it and it worked (untill my tacoma sensed it and corrected my AFR) It gave me 7 MPG yes 7 MPG.

Before anyone says i am full of crap and yada yada yada :rolleyes: i am not offering to sell anything i am offering to give free advice if you are interested??? :)

Yeah, lets here about your hydrogen fuel plan!:clap:

Total BS.... You can't change the laws of thermodynamics... :rolleyes:

Extracted from one of hundreds of web sites explaining why this cannot work:

Here’s the deal, people: There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

There is energy in water. Chemically, it’s locked up in the atomic bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms. When the hydrogen and oxygen combine, whether it’s in a fuel cell, internal combustion engine running on hydrogen, or a jury-rigged pickup truck with an electrolysis cell in the bed, there’s energy left over in the form of heat or electrons. That’s converted to mechanical energy by the pistons and crankshaft or electrical motors to move the vehicle.

Problem: It takes exactly the same amount of energy to pry those hydrogen and oxygen atoms apart inside the electrolysis cell as you get back when they recombine inside the fuel cell. The laws of thermodynamics haven’t changed, in spite of any hype you read on some blog or news aggregator. Subtract the losses to heat in the engine and alternator and electrolysis cell, and you’re losing energy, not gaining it—period.

Edit: Forgot to add that sites that sell these things also tell you to do this: Tune up the vehicle, drive with a light foot, and slightly over inflate your tires. Guess what? All those things are where you get the MPG increase...

Nice work, I think the ONLY good thing about this fuel crisis is that it gets people thinking outside the box on how to be more economical. I say :flipoff2: to the oil companies and the gov for not doing anything about it.

Thats an awesome writeup dude! Thanks!

Let us know how the power feels off road and how it reacts to hills and bumps.

btw, a full soft top may help with mileage a little. I'm basing this off of the fact that a friends samurai's top speed was 70 with the top off and 75 with the top on. Might have been less turbulence with the whole softop on the rig as compared to having it off. Maybe...:hmm:

Oh dear :rolleyes: I have heard the exact same stupid comments before..... I knew they would come so i am not suprised. For those who understand that i was running a 10 amp fuse and not popping it so it doesnt take that much juice to make and the fact that once again it worked regardless of your thoughts i will continue to post and add pictures tonight.

Again for those who are open minded I will post But the one genius was right it is posted all over the internet.

Total BS.... You can't change the laws of thermodynamics... :rolleyes:

Oh dear :rolleyes: I have heard the exact same stupid comments before..... I knew they would come so i am not suprised. For those who understand that i was running a 10 amp fuse and not popping it so it doesnt take that much juice to make and the fact that once again it worked regardless of your thoughts i will continue to post and add pictures tonight.

Again for those who are open minded I will post But the one genius was right it is posted all over the internet.[/quote]

This subject always turns into a huge political debate so i will post easy simple steps and then i am done. Those interested give it a try and post back if you wish.

EDIT - I am going to start a thread called Hydrogen plans?

Last edited:
this is cool , do you have any updates?

this is cool , do you have any updates?

Sorry it's been so long to reply... I drove my cruiser from November to April and put her away for other projects. My mpg has been a constant 17+- around town. I have not been on any long trips.

I just got her out of storage today and she started on the first crank. I pumped the gas a few times and put her on half choke and she took right off. I wheeled it in the National Forest this summer and was happy with the results.

Best bang for the buck I have done. I went thru a q-jet and a Edlebrock before I tried the Motorcraft ( as suggested on this site) and I love it for the simplicity. It's not the answer for heavy foot guys ( my V8 is a SBC 305)... but for me I would do it again. I wonder how one of these would work on a 2F , I have a intake and adapter already to go.
Just haven't haven't done it yet.

There is a few on Craigslist if you are looking

scroll down..
http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/sd.cgi?cat=pts&fil=motorcraft+2150&state=&submit=go

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom