seat braket reversal - more leg room (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
Can some one please post up a picture of the mod that people do on the FJ40 to get some more leg room. It has to do with reversing the seat bracket. I can't seem to wrap my brain around this. I also know that Classic Cruisers sells a seat extension kit. Does any one have a picture of that as well?

Thanks - mark

If it's a bucket seat truck, pre 79, simply turn the brackets around where they bolt to the floor. You'll have to remove the seats first. The bolt hole is off center toward the front of the bracket when bolted in place. By reversing the bracket, you move the hole back toward the rear of the truck. You'll need a pice of steel strap to extend the left front bracket, the rest is bolt on. Once done, your driver's seat should contact the rear fender when fully back. Only works on 40 series.

I'm 6' and rather....big boned. It'll be one of the best mods you can do. 77's particularly seem to suffer from "wtf" syndrome.

Iam assuming I turn all 4 brackets around?

No there are only three. The bracket closest to the shifter is a combo with the passenger side seat. Turn the three (closest to the door and both of the rear bkts.) around 180 degrees. It takes a 3" peice of flat stock( I used 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle ) to bridge the gap at the shifter bkt. You will have to drill 2 holes (3/8) to make it line up , but this is a 1 bannana job! After you get started you will see what everybody is talking about. Good luck:cheers:

Today I installed the classiccruisers.com seat extension kit and wanted to post up some pictures. It was well worth the $39 bucks I spent. I also installed a 8" Tuffy console. It does fit, but I had to grind down one of the seat brackets. I also had to grind down the side seat bolts, the one with the acorn nuts, and use regular low profile nuts.

brakets1.jpg

brackers2.jpg

brackets3.jpg

braket_after.jpg

braket_after2.jpg

You can see in this picture that the OEM Seat Bracket on the left has been flipped around.

tuffy1.jpg

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

Thanks for the post on the extended seat brackets, I thought for years it replaced the actual rails that the seat slides on. I'm glad I didn't order them as they look to be fairly easy to make. Please don't be offended by my comment, they do look nice and certainly will do the job. Now we just need to fix those damn gas pedals!!

$39................................................................................:lol:

Cheap way....

4 pieces of 1.5" flat stock 22" long (if ya wanna do both seats) 8 bux.... drilling required tho......and that get ya as far back as it will go....
DSC00990 (Custom).JPG
DSC00989 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but anyone know if you flip the brackets to make more room or purchase the bracket from cruiser solutions can you still slide the seat up for a short person??
I'm 5'3...the seat is fine for me, but my 6"5 husband's knees are in his chest!!! When I let him drive her...I would like for him to be comfortable.... We have torn down the interior.... before we put her back together I would like to fix the seat thing.

One more question.....I would like to see the pictures from the previous post (#8) , but can't, anyone know why??

yes you can slide the seat forward. the reverse brackets do not change the seat functions

Celica seats

Good info and pictures. I've got some Celica seats I'm getting ready to put in, but hadn't yet figured out the process. With these pic's, it's prob easier than I first thought.

O ne more question.....I would like to see the pictures from the previous post (#8) , but can't, anyone know why??

Mark may have had the server that he hosts his pictures on, down for some reason...They are back up now.

:beer:

Here's a couple more pictures

Here's some pictures of brackets I made using Grant's approach. They came out nicely. Lots of "in and out" with the seats to make the holes line up, though.

Thanks for the idea, Grant.

Seat_Bracket_1_sm.JPG

Seat_Bracket_2_sm.JPG

Seat_Bracket_3_sm.JPG
Seat_Bracket_1_sm.JPG
Seat_Bracket_2_sm.JPG
Seat_Bracket_3_sm.JPG

One more question.....I would like to see the pictures from the previous post (#8) , but can't, anyone know why??

In your "User CP" there is an edit options page. The default setting censors certain words.
If the picture link includes cruiser**** instead of cruiser c r a p, you can remove this word from your censor list and the pictures will load.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom