Automatic Locking Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMO there is no better hub design than the Toyota/AISIN manual hubs.

Toyota tried auto-hubs on some of the late-80's trucks/4Runners. They were a miserable failure, an awful setup. Locked and unlocked when they wanted, prone to failure.

I have never had good luck with any auto locking hub..

I would stay away from them...

But I find the idea that they stay locked until you shift into 2WD and reverse...

Would they unlock in reverse in 4WD? That would suck if you were in hub deep snow needing to back up and take runs at the drifts...

I would stay away from them...

But I find the idea that they stay locked until you shift into 2WD and reverse...

Would they unlock in reverse in 4WD? That would suck if you were in hub deep snow needing to back up and take runs at the drifts...

Don't know about the ones in the OP, but yes the Toyota auto lockers unlock in reverse. That is their fatal flaw. You have 4WD to get yourself buried but no 4WD to back out. They would probably work well for a rig that just needed extra traction on road, ie snow and ice.

Doesn't TOD have auto hubs?

Don't know about the ones in the OP, but yes the Toyota auto lockers unlock in reverse. That is their fatal flaw. You have 4WD to get yourself buried but no 4WD to back out. They would probably work well for a rig that just needed extra traction on road, ie snow and ice.

Doesn't TOD have auto hubs?

No, TOD is FWD until I engage 4WD which locks the rear axle in. I think it essentially has drive flanges on the rear axle. The t-case does split the power 50/50 but has no 4-Low (hence the EL compound gear in the trans).

I can reverse forever and still be in 4WD (trust me, I have had to do it ;) )

Last edited:
actaully I think it was the fj55 that had optional OEM Aisin(or ASCO) auto locking hubs. I know someplace i have pics of the AL OEM hubs

I used a set of AVM hubs YEARS ago when swaping from the OEM 4runner auto lock hubs to manual, they seemed to work fine, but I see no reason to use the AVM on a Cruiser when Aisin's can be found

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom