Tucson area - Chimney Rock 6-27 & Alamo Spring 6-28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stepmurr

Lookin' fer the end of that old white line
SILVER Star
Threads
Run to Alamo Spring:
Meet time 8:00 AM Saturday June 28 - leaving shortly thereafter!:bounce:

Location Circle K at Tanque Verde & Rebecca, 11271 E Tanque Verde Road

In so far:

Stepmurr
AZRunner
Rocky_LC

I plan on camping at Chimney Rock on Friday, June 27, and running up to Alamo Spring on Saturday morning.

AZRunner is in for the Saturday Alamo Spring portion.

Meet time/s & location/s to be determined based on who wants to go on which day - stay tuned!

img_4651-small-jpg.909455

I can wait at Chimney Rock Saturday morning for anyone not interested in camping . . .

img_4660-small-jpg.909456

This is actually part of the trail
img_4728-small-jpg.909457

Coming back down from the spring
img_4787-small-jpg.909458

Last edited:
Run to Alamo Spring:
Meet time 8:00 AM Saturday June 28 - leaving shortly thereafter!:bounce:

Location Circle K at Tanque Verde & Rebecca, 11271 E Tanque Verde Road

In so far:

Stepmurr
AZRunner

Here's a couple of pictures from a previous trip....

DSC00065 (Small).JPG

DSC00066 (Small).JPG

DSC00075 (Small).JPG

DSC00079 (Small).JPG

Steve -

I'm in. See you at 0800.

Tolga - thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if I can round up some others.

Chuck

Last edited:
Steve -

I'm in. See you at 0800.

Tolga - thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if I can round up some others.

Chuck

Great!

See you Saturday morn.

First pics (Rice Peak has great cell reception!)
The 4 runner & second FJ40 - we had a forty four runner sandwich today.
IMG_6845small.jpg

Chimney Rock rest break
IMG_6857small.jpg

Fun in the rocks

IMG_6860small.jpg

Alamo Spring End-of-the-line
IMG_6890small.jpg

I continued on to the base of Rice Peak for Saturday night camping.

The temperature in the Land Cruiser at the end of the Alamo Spring run was 106.6F.

This is the temperature at the base of Rice Peak (~1 mile from top) 27.9 F in the Engel Fridge and 72.3 F outside - 34 degrees cooler!

IMG_6979small.jpg

Leveling the Cruiser for comfort sleeping (somebody was asking about the smallest rock climb picture - this is my entry)
IMG_6962small.jpg

Definitely had a great time out there today with you guys. Steve, I look forward to seeing the rest of the photos you took. The ones you just posted look great!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Definitely had a great time out there today with you guys. Steve, I look forward to seeing the rest of the photos you took. The ones you just posted look reat!

View attachment 912173 View attachment 912174
\
Glad you and yer ol lady came out for the run - ya made the hard parts look ridic easy!

Let us know when you re planning another run - we need to get the Tucson crowd out of the bars and out on the trails!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve for setting this up!

Fun trip, but I was roasting by the time we got home! Tolga was "living the dream" with that AC!

I'll get pix up tomorrow.

Chuck

Last edited:
thanks for the trip report - looks like a fun time.

Steve, I like how you have your fridge set up where your pass seat goes in the 40 and will be doing the same in mine. Can you either Pm or post up some pictures of your fridge and how is mounted (w/o lifting it out - don't go out of your way)

Thank you ~

Murf

It was a great trip - unfortunately the pictures don't really show the degree of difficulty. This one is a little tougher than most of our Tucson runs.

Here's some pictures. Steve and I switched off driving each other's 40's - It was pretty cool. Even though they are the same - they were like two completely different vehicles. Steve has the 3 speed coupled to an Orion - In "high" it's like driving an automatic - just give it gas and go - In "low" it's REALLY Low - you have to go through 3 gears to get up to 10 mph! Very different than mine.

It was so hot outside, I was driving with my head stuck into his refrigerator!
06-27-2014_Alamo_Springs (9) (Small).JPG
06-27-2014_Alamo_Springs (19) (Small).JPG
06-27-2014_Alamo_Springs (24) (Small).JPG
06-27-2014_Alamo_Springs (25) (Small).JPG
06-27-2014_Alamo_Springs (27) (Small).JPG

thanks for the trip report - looks like a fun time.

Steve, I like how you have your fridge set up where your pass seat goes in the 40 and will be doing the same in mine. Can you either Pm or post up some pictures of your fridge and how is mounted (w/o lifting it out - don't go out of your way)

Thank you ~

Murf
I was going to wait until I finished the mount and painted it and then post in the "what I done to the cruiser this week" thread, but here are a few shots of the FridgeMount ver. 3.0.

The first mount I used in the FJ40 was the Taco's that I bolted to the original bench seat tubular frame. This kept the fridge secure, but it was way too high and not level. I welded up a new mount that was also bolted to the tubular seat frame but leveled the fridge and was easier to sleep on.

The 3.0 version is still not completed, but is bolted to the new bucket seat frame I made for this year's Moab run (had to seat three for Moab).

I still need to weld on the front bar, but what I have was good enough to keep the fridge from falling out on the way to Alamo Spring, and worked well for the sleeping platform. Key features are the pinned removable leg & side rail to make it easy to slide the fridge in place, the front and rear side bars that will keep the fridge in place without needing to bolt the fridge to the mount, and enough space to wrap 1/2 inch foam insulation around the fridge.

I'll write up the bucket seat mount I made to replace the bench seat tubing and the FridgeMount ver. 3.0 a little bit later.
IMG_7048-small.jpg

FridgeMount on top, bolted to new bucket seat bracket
IMG_7050-small.jpg

Pinned leg/top rail
IMG_7051-small.jpg

And of course two big deep cycle batteries for my peace of mind while extended camping
IMG_7053-small.jpg

link works!

Thx Steve for the pictures of the mount :cheers:

Steve - thanks for posting! Very good shots - you are an artist in both metal and photography!

... and I didn't need that can of "Barrs-Leak" you had in your tool box!

Chuck

cool pics here and in the gallery :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom