Hafc Install Thread! (mpg Increase?!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Setting the idle just happens with the tune... I have installed 3 kits now and have never had one change idle. I have this one idling around 250 rpm tho Ill take a video of all the components installed and the idle and engine running smooth b4 I tune tonight

The idle is controlled automatically by the ECU. You're getting different results from this install than 3 previous ones, I'd take it slow.

the only thing I have any doubt about is how I wired in the intake air temperature wire. maybe you could help me. is the intake temperature sorted out by the MAF? thats where I figured it was from my schematics but I am more than happy to take any advice

The 94s use a different AFM than the 95+ trucks but I do beleive that the IAT sensor is still in the AFM attached to the filter cover. I just don't have the schematics to confirm that or know which wire it is.

WOW! sorry guys I have been seriously busy. Life is insane. I will tune the kit tonight but so far I am LOVING the power increase! seat of the pants its quite noticeable, I have my idle set extremely low and it idles so smooth with no shake at all. I can have my hand on the oil cap and it feels like a cars motor or better, no shake. I have a video going through on you tube right now of I think like a 0-50 acceleration run off of a stop light on a totally flat run. you know my truck so this may or may not show anything you can tell but it feels great to me. engine is stock except for snorkel and rear resonator is cut off.
YouTube - Land Cruiser HAFC
I can e-mail the origional video to whoever wants it.

ok so you tube looks to have made it too resolution. anyone know how I can make this different? I want you to see the speedo needle

AND I have not even started the tuning process. I have been waiting on my oscilloscope to get here and a couple offsets I had to build (secret tuning items :p) the O-scope is VITAL to getting it tuned to as lean as I can get it without throwing a code

Yes starting from a number of 15mpg would be easier BUT 18 is gonna be a much bigger increase also I wouldn't throw out 15 if I got 17.9 its not cool. I dont know how I got almost 18 I never get more than 14 to a fill up with combined city and highway driving

Next time film in the day time and leave out the music. We want to hear the engine not tunes. Just m2$

ok cool I got it right than.

During the day I had too much glare you couldn't even see the gauges and the road sooo Id get some dork on here sayin I had the truck on jackstands

Glad to see this coming along good. I am curious to see your spark plugs. Take some pictures of those if you can.

Ok so bad news guys.
This is my truck I just did a tune up not long ago blah blah its been maintained. it runs well so I didn't do my homework.

The guy that told me my 02 sensors were out gets a pat on the back. they are DEAD no switching going on AT ALL which I have never seen. most switch 10 times a second!

SO this means my orange test (initial mileage test) results have to be disregarded and I cannot even guarantee myself a # for my mpg's without lieing to the factory. Which I will not do.

So can we all agree that 16.8 can be a number I can shoot for 50% more than? this is now just for fun because I just assumed that since it was my own truck nothing was wrong with it. on a customers car I check first thing if its 02 sensors work.

I dont know. my goal is now simply to get as high of mileage as I can.

photo-2.jpg

Hell Blake I don't think anyone is going to hold you to 18. You could use 15 as a starting point and if you saw a 50% increase from that I would be thoroughly impressed.

Although I am still skeptical I am definately intrigued to see the results.

I will admit, I am skeptical as hell too, but I still want to see your results, and I wont hold it against you for trying when it turns out you got ripped off :p

But really man, I hope this works out, I'd be happy to get 16mpg regularly, as I'm getting around 11 right now.

thought I'd add something else here.

When working with TurboCruiser on my MAF sensor we noticed that when the stock MAF got saturated during a boosted state the O2 sensors would shut down. Since my MAF doesn't do that the O2 sensors stay active through out the operating range of the engine.

You seeing both sensors dead might be a result of the electronic piece you wired in. If that has changed a sensor reading enough to be out of limits the ECU might be shutting itself down.

Not knowing what's in that box, I would imagine that there is a setting that doesn't influence any of the sensors and just passes the signals through un altered, is this where you are at?

Ok so I am only modifying the 02 sensors when seeing the flat line with my scope so I am guessing I don't know how to use my scope. I am not getting a MIL before the HAFC or now so I assume I just don't know how to use my new toy.
along this line of thinking I have been tuning it like normal. and it seems to be responding well. I should be able to have time to finish tuning tomorrow

this isn't an area where you want to assume the problem is with you and not the system. If the ECU is shutting down you are loosing a lot of compensation and safety by running the truck with it like that.

I was the idiot! sorry I read the instructions on how to use the scope now :p
heres a pic of it going-
photo-3.jpg

I knew I had wired it right and couldn't figure what the problem was. Thanks for the concern land tank! truck is almost done tuning but I am gonna take a mileage reading tonight and see where I am at.

SS, what is that reading? Is that voltage from the O2 sensors?

yeah thats voltage from the 02 sensors, the voltage regulates form 0-1v to tell the computer if its running rich or lean

(Just went out to get a mileage reading and there is too much traffic. I will try to late tonight.)

Blake,
What are you using for odometer & speedometer correction?
-B-

none. I checked it against my buddies honda and it read the same speed. 35 inch MTR's and 488's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom