Hafc Install Thread! (mpg Increase?!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys you all know I am a Certified installer, tuner and instructor for these things so feel free for any questions....

If your system does indeed work you would be well served to loan your vehicle to a reputable, known mechanic here like Robbie (powderpig). With a recommendation from someone like him you would have dozens of people lined up to buy.

Until you have some proof people are obviously going to think it is a scam.

It wouldn't surprise me that he's at the tuning stage and having some difficulties.

I agree. Plus weariness from all the backlash.

Let's see what happens. If it does work, I would like to know why. If it's consistent, repeatable, does not require a change in driving behavior, and does not change engine performance characteristics, I might look into it myself.

Obviously, though, I'm a skeptic.

He's probably written off the bunch because a group of a--hole that know everything. The same thinking demonstrated here is what kept people thinking the earth was flat.

Let the man try something new and a little encouragement from even the non believers could help a man that just spent a G on something that we are all interested in whether we have hope or skepticism.

Go for SS I'm very interested. If this works I'm buying you a gallon at the gas station!! :)

I live in Campbell and I am interested. Can I meet you with my FZJ and check out your install and the truck? I am very skeptical, but am willing to give you a chance. PM me if you are interested.

He's probably written off the bunch because a group of a--hole that know everything. The same thinking demonstrated here is what kept people thinking the earth was flat.

Yes and the first thing Columbus did was to prove everyone wrong. So I'm sure SS would like to do nothing more to everyone here right now.

Let the man try something new and a little encouragement from even the non believers could help a man that just spent a G on something that we are all interested in whether we have hope or skepticism.

Go for SS I'm very interested. If this works I'm buying you a gallon at the gas station!! :)

You are preaching to the choir here... Like I have said in my past post that SS has been nothing but upfront.. So I hope he chimes in..

Dave

Sorry, but...

Yes and the first thing Columbus did was to prove everyone wrong. So I'm sure SS would like to do nothing more to everyone here right now.

I hope not! because Columbus did not prove the world was round.
In his time that was already a well known fact.

Anyway, lets not hi-jack this thread.

Best Regards SS

Enough Chat about this

No bumping the thread to the top

Wait tell he posts the results please!

Your friendly 80's moderators who are starting to get cranky. Ok we have always been cranky

Wow. I think it is worth pointing out that we're waiting breathlessly for someone whose initial fuel economy measurement was 18MPG - calling into question the entire point. Which would be "results" - another MPG measurement by the same person with the same technique.

You'll find many replies by me to these MPG measurements. I have watched what it takes to measure fuel economy accurately and seeing people post MPG measurements on either a single tank or a certain trip make me shake my head.

It's obviously too late to suggest that the vehicle be driven on a full tank with the cruise at a certain speed over at least a couple hundred miles before mods to get at least a semblance of a baseline MPG. But it's not too late to request that this be done with the mod. The longer the drive, the better the accuracy. The way the 17.9mpg was achieved was not posted, but I'd be interested as much in an attempt at accurate MPG testing as in the modification itself.

My other comment will smack of an insult, but I think there is no way to say it that will not run the risk. Here it is. We're waiting breathlessly for the results of a test by an individual who has invested his reputation, a lot of money for training, and a lot of money for kits to install and who clearly intends to make it a commercial venture. To me, that's not an unbiased result as many here have suggested.

There you have it. Surprisingly, I'm not a 100% skeptic and I'm as interested in the results as anyone here - feeding two 80s is getting old.

DougM

Just checked my MPG... 16.8 Hwy

I don't mean to Hijack the thread... I am eagerly awaiting the results of this experiment. However I just got 16.9 mpg on a trip Between Okanagon WA <--> Seattle WA ..and thought I'd chime in.

Test Case:

*Locked/Stock '97 80 w/no mods (unless Landtank's rail extenders count :) ) New fluids, well tuned & maintained.

*2 Passengers, no gear to speak of.

*Nighttime travel (no traffic), 50-60mph sustained.

*Filled to the neck and used Cruise control over ~150 miles (regular)

Results: I tracked at 16.8 mpg in both directions.

<end hijack>

The way the 17.9mpg was achieved was not posted, but I'd be interested as much in an attempt at accurate MPG testing as in the modification itself.

Doug,
Actually, he indirectly posted how the mileage calculation was performed. The manufacturer has a "methodology" that the customer is required to use if they have any chance at getting a refund based on not achieving the 50% improvement mark. That method is the "orange" method; so called as "apples-to-apples, oranges-to-oranges." The details are in the link that I posted that has the warranty for the HAFC unit.

Basically, they want you to use the same pump on the same day and to fill the tank to the same level. They want you to drive a round-trip of ~50 total miles, all on multi-lane freeway, minimum hills, minimum traffic, minimum braking. Maintain a steady MPH (50-60mph) and use the cruise control. There were a few other details like consistent tyre pressures and vehicle load and things like that. Mostly good, common sense recommendations for achieving consistent before/after comparisons.

The same "orange" method must be used post install. Same station, same pump, same route, same speed and distance; within 2 weeks of the install and final tuning by the trained tuner.

The issue that I have with the "orange" MPG method is that it only runs the vehicle for ~1hr and I question whether that gives the ECM enough time to revert to a base configuration (richen the mixture) once it detects the excessive lean conditions being forced by the black-box.

As you said, the proper way to measure MPG is over a much longer distance and multiple tanks. It can all be highway if that is your goal, but IMHO, you cannot get a good measurement of MPG with a ~50 mile trip.

-B-

If anything, basing this on a pre-mod number of 18mpg is very conservative for him. His improvements if any would look much better if he used a more realistic baseline.

Just going from 15 to 18mpg would already be a 20% jump.

And I repeat

Enough Chat about this

Your friendly 80's moderators who are starting to get cranky. Ok we have always been cranky

Enough Chat about this

And I repeat

and to think I always thought I was the cranky one...................

WOW! sorry guys I have been seriously busy. Life is insane. I will tune the kit tonight but so far I am LOVING the power increase! seat of the pants its quite noticeable, I have my idle set extremely low and it idles so smooth with no shake at all. I can have my hand on the oil cap and it feels like a cars motor or better, no shake. I have a video going through on you tube right now of I think like a 0-50 acceleration run off of a stop light on a totally flat run. you know my truck so this may or may not show anything you can tell but it feels great to me. engine is stock except for snorkel and rear resonator is cut off.
YouTube - Land Cruiser HAFC
I can e-mail the origional video to whoever wants it.

ok so you tube looks to have made it too resolution. anyone know how I can make this different? I want you to see the speedo needle

AND I have not even started the tuning process. I have been waiting on my oscilloscope to get here and a couple offsets I had to build (secret tuning items :p) the O-scope is VITAL to getting it tuned to as lean as I can get it without throwing a code

Yes starting from a number of 15mpg would be easier BUT 18 is gonna be a much bigger increase also I wouldn't throw out 15 if I got 17.9 its not cool. I dont know how I got almost 18 I never get more than 14 to a fill up with combined city and highway driving

Last edited:
good job coming back and posting. I was worried you were scared off!

Now tune that sucker and give us some data! Also, any pictures of the equipment installed?

LMBO are you calling crystal method Sucky?!? :p I call it classic hahahhahahahaa

Setting the idle just happens with the tune... I have installed 3 kits now and have never had one change idle. I have this one idling around 250 rpm tho Ill take a video of all the components installed and the idle and engine running smooth b4 I tune tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom